Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String suggestions for Cedar on Rosewood?

Default String suggestions for Cedar on Rosewood?

Hello. What are your preferred strings for a Cedar / Rosewood tenor? I am in the market for such an instrument, most likely a Pono PC with low G. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wengr; 10-19-2017 at 05:22 PM.

I guess that might depend on if you want to further enhance the warmth that that wood combo would give you.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Current Instruments:
    Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted/Waterfall Figured Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Players Model - Tenor - Vintage Sun Burst all Tasmanian Blackwood

I like using 2 wound strings and 2 fluorocarbon. For the G and C strings I've been using Thomastik Infeld CF30 and CF27 (thanks Booli). For the E and A strings I have ukes set up with Oasis warm and another set up with Savarez Alliance KF71 and KF60 (I think that recommendation came from Brad B). I like both sets very much. The TI strings have become my standard lately.

@wengr, welcome to UU. There are lots of factors to consider when selecting strings besides tone preferences, including string diameter (thin, medium, thick), hardness (soft, medium, hard), tension (higher vs. lower), etc.

And then there is the uke itself. While many of us tend to prefer certain strings, I have yet to find one that is my preferred string on every uke. For example, I recently tried Aquila Carbonblacks on four different ukes. They sounded great on 3 of the 4 and did not work at all on the 4th, on which they sounded dull.

For me, I tend to use one of these four: Oasis Brights, Aquila Carbonblacks, Southcoast Mediums, and Worth Browns (BT). I prefer medium diameter, mid-tension and do not like hard strings (e.g., Savarez, the old Ko'olau Golds).
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I have a cedar top bari that has Living Water fluorcarbon strings on it, gives it a great tone.
    All my tenor scale ukes have their concert low G strings on them, I like the feel & sound quality.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I've got a Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor, and to date, the Martin 620s are my favorite string. Same for my solid Cedar/laminate Acacia Kala. I was so impressed with the sound that I put Martins on most of my other ukes, but haven't been as impressed with them there as I am with the cedar tops.

I have two cedar topped rosewood Ukes both with Living Waters.
    The spruce topped rosewood has Latitude 34 flouro carbons. All have the sound I like.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by wengr View Post
    Hello. What are your preferred strings for a Cedar / Rosewood tenor? I am in the market for such an instrument, most likely a Pono PC with low G. Thanks in advance.
    Strumsilly posted this article in another thread recently. As a relatively new ukulele player, I found it to be a very detailed and informative article explaining the pitfalls of taking popular ukulele string lore at face value. Definitely it is worth a read for someone asking the question you are asking.

As I am fairly inexperienced (I have not changed from the provided default strings on any ukulele yet), I cannot properly recommend any strings to you. I would suggest, however, that you will receive better responses if you explain the sound and feel you are looking to achieve. Other players who prefer similar characteristics on one or more of their instruments will then be able to tell you what strings they have discovered work for them. In the end, you will have to discover the strings you like by trial and error.

There is another user on this site, Booli, who seems to have a vast amount of string knowledge. You might find it worth your time to look through some of his posts.

Good luck, happy hunting, and keep on strummin!
    Last edited by MopMan; 10-20-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: words

Thanks for all the replies, very interesting and helpful. I have a used Pono RTSH(C)-PC enroute to me. Is it typical to require nut slot work in order to accomodate different gauges, or low G as opposed to high?

I've never had to do anything other than change the strings themselves.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Thread Information