Anyone compared those?

Rutger

Reaction score
Hi,

I need your experience on this one. I’m in the market for a tenor and played a few in store last week. Totally unexpected I was quite surprised by the Kala Koa series tenor, I liked it far more than the other, far more expensive options they had in store.

But... the tenor that makes me doubt is the other Kala, the cedar topped tenor that costs just a bit more. They appear to be of the same design. I do like cedar tops in general and I really really hope it will play just as nice. But sadly I don’t have the chance to play a cedar topped one.

So, the obvious question is: does anyone have played both? Sound is a matter of taste, but do they play just as comfortable? Are the necks the same or do they feel really different?

Last edited:
I haven't played either of those, but I can say that the cedar top will sound more mellow/warmer than what I have heard of the koa laminate. :)

Thanks uke1950. Nice isn ‘t it, the sound of cedar. I love mahogany, especially on soprano’s, but a good cedar top can do what mahogany does, and a little more.

But what my question mainly is about, is the playability of the Kala Koa and the Kala Cedar top. Are they equal? Because if they are, I’m willing to take the chance and order the Cedar tenor.

Last edited:
Thanks uke1950. Nice isn ‘t it, the sound of cedar. I love mahogany, especially on soprano’s, but a good cedar top can do what mahogany does, and a little more.

But what my question mainly is about, is the playability of the Kala Koa and the Kala Cedar top. Are they equal? Because if they are, I’m willing to take the chance and order the Cedar tenor.

This is what I have read here on UU from someone with Kala experience. The necks are a different depth (top of fret board to bottom of neck) on the solid head stock compared to the slotted. That seems to be the only difference, body size, nut width, neck length etc. are all the same. Seeing as your koa and the cedar top have a slotted head stock they should feel the very same.

I have mixed feelings about this: If you liked the one you played, then maybe you should just get that specific one? You already know that you like it, while you might not like the one you'll get unseen. On the other hand, personally, I'd steer away from the laminate, and I'm a huge fan of cedar, too. So out of the two, I'd probably go with the solid cedar top.

Yeah I know, it’s crazy right? I asked myself the same question and came to the same conclusion as you. There is some unlogical feeling that tells me: go for that solid top. Another proof that we are an emotional species :)

Thanks for the replies, that’s what I needed to know!

Last edited:
Top Bottom