Season 297 of the Ukulele- School days

I hope your decompression helps, TCK. I know stressful this stuff can be. I once ran a middle school library from a book cart and a laptop for a semester because of a flood. Hang in there.

This is an original that I had recorded for Trent’s Fall Season. I am reading the Hallo-Weiner to my classes this week and I wanted to share the song with my students, but I wasn’t completely happy with it. There were some rough moments in the song, and some crammed lyrics, so I rewrote a few lines, took the speed down a little (not sure that’s all that noticeable) and re-recorded it. I also enlisted the help of some tiny Martins at the end.

Then I remembered, hey there are some school references in the song. Why not let it count for TCK’s school? So here it is. If you didn’t hear it last time, it’s based on Dav Pilkey’s (of Captain Underpants fame) picture book The Hallo-Weiner. Hope you enjoy it!

Number Six Weasley

Back in 2009, a co-worker asked me to listen to some CDs his daughter liked. She was a big Harry Potter fan and had discovered "wizard rock", songs about the Harry Potter universe by bands like Harry and the Potters, and Draco and the Malfoys. The songs I heard by Harry and the Potters were pretty weak (the song Ukulele Librarian and his son played was more melodic than any I'd heard by them). Draco and the Malfoys played and wrote better, but they were held back by the conceit that the songs were sung by Draco, so they were mostly about how much he hated Harry. I took my own shot at writing a wizard rock song, and wrote "No One Cool Ever Came from Hufflepuff". Thanks a lot to Ryan for covering that this week. So here's another stab at wizard rock, an original song in honor of the eternal sidekick, Ron Weasley. The chords are pretty basic. A - C - G - A (A standard Weasley gene sequence.)

Lyrics:

Life doesn’t come easily
When you’re the number six Weasley
No seventh son of a seventh son
I’m the never-chosen one

Five older brothers lording over me
It’s a wonder I didn’t starve when I was three
Five loads of hand-me-downs
And ancient robes that look like evening gowns

Life doesn’t come easily
My brothers stand tall, they think they rule the world
You’d think one might have taught me how to talk to girls

My teachers look at me and shake their heads
Figure I’m trouble just like George and Fred
Just one more face in the Hogwarts crowd
Never sharp enough to make Hermione proud

Harry keeps his secrets, he won’t be confiding
Us and trouble are always colliding
I’m a lint trap for the trouble that the world keeps on providing
Even my pet rat is a killer in hiding

Life doesn’t come easily
No seventh son of a seventh son
I’m the never-chosen one

Greetings,

My bad, just realized Bonesigh did the same song (At Seventeen). Late to check the vids, usually do that on weekends. I'll catch up soon, usually check before recording but missed it on the list somehow.

Ciao

Last edited:
This is my first recording since changing my strings to Oasis Warm Fluorocarbons. See if you can tell the difference. Personally, I prefer the slack and rough feel of the Reds that I had on it before, as well as the really bright sparkly sound that the Reds gave the high notes, but having said that, these fluorocarbons have a really defined percussive sound when chunking and they've taken what was pretty good intonation and made it perfect, so they have their advantages.

Oh, and this is a quick and rough recording because that's what TCK asked for :) (and I'm lazy)

One last quickie from me before I get away for the weekend, Cheers Dave, Keep safe all.................

Last edited:
My second song this week is a tale of what happened to a dozen children and their teacher in the city of Lleida (Catalunya) on one fateful day in 1937 during the Spanish Civil War (1936-39).

It was written, in Catalan, by Daniel Sisé and I was so impressed by it I just had to translate it into English. This week's theme gave me the motivation and opportunity to do so.

Here is the story of Esperança Serra:

PS - Ironically, the teacher's name in Catalan means hope. Oh and it's a true story.

Love Will Make You Fail In School

Glad this Season gave me both have had the incentive and opportunity to research & post this one. I was hoping to do it as collab, but my regular partner in rhyme was too busy, and then time ran out. No lyrics or chords to this online, so posted below. Also, Sylvia Robinson! Bloody hell!!
Code:
Love will make you fail in school – Mickey & Sylvia (1957)

C  C  G  G7   
C  C  G  G7   
C  C  F  F
G  G7 C  C

C                          G      G7
Love will make you fail in school.........
C                          G      G7
Love will make you fail in school.........
C                F                F
Take it from me, and you will see.........
G                  G7      C
Love will make you fail in school

It will make of you a fool
Make you break that golden rule
Listen to me and you will see

Do-be-do-be doo-be-doh
Do-be-do-be doo-be-doh

If you want a fool's advice
Stay away from shoes and rice
Professor's all say, it just ain't the way

[Instrumental]

C                   F    G7      
  Sylvia?           Yes, Mickey?
C                                    F             G7          C
Are you doing your homework tonight? No I'm seeing loverboy to-night! 
C                       F             G
Didn't you see loverboy last night??  Sure did!
C                       F                G
Then, when are you doing your homework?! Oh Mickey!  Don't you know?

School will make you fail in love
Schoool will make you fail in love

Schoool will make you fail in love
School will make you fail in love.

After high school, I moved to Portland, Oregon, to attend Reed College. I wasn't ready for college then, and I flunked/dropped out after only three semesters. Luckily, I also connected to Portland's underground music scene, and I learned plenty from great bands like Hazel, Heatmiser, Bugskull, Dead Moon, and many many more. One particular band's music captures that time in my life better than any other. They even wrote a song about Portland/Reed social scene in which we circulated. They were called the New Bad Things, and here's that song.

Thank you, Dave, for the trip down my educational memory lane, and thank you to every Seasonista for helping with my ukulele education!

"Mezcalero- Working Class Hero. Stunning version of this song, well played and sang mate. Love that both types of "class" made it to the season. Excellent bring for sure. Does not shine a very forgiving light on school, but I get that this is reality for many."

Sorry for the "F" Bombs. In my hurry to find a song that fit the theme, I didn't consider that this one might be a bit harsh . . . I am going to try to find a more gentle and loving song to contribute before the end of this season :)

"Mezcalero- Working Class Hero. Stunning version of this song, well played and sang mate. Love that both types of "class" made it to the season. Excellent bring for sure. Does not shine a very forgiving light on school, but I get that this is reality for many."

Sorry for the "F" Bombs. In my hurry to find a song that fit the theme, I didn't consider that this one might be a bit harsh . . . I am going to try to find a more gentle and loving song to contribute before the end of this season :)

Kevin, you made the swear words sound like a melody. ha ha Very nice vocal and uke playing.

Kevin, you made the swear words sound like a melody. ha ha Very nice vocal and uke playing.

Did anyone else miss this.
I did and it is BRILL!

And I am back! Today was longer than yesterday and I am gassed, but there is some great music here, happy to get to hear it all my friends- thanks for the enthusiasm one and all-
More musing.
Bonesigh- You Can't Stop Love. One of my favorite students during my student teaching was a brilliant 17 year old mother of twins who knew she was still going to doctor. Never met a harder working kid, and was delighted when the twins were in 0 period biology. Nice song.
Time of your life...also played at every single graduation since it cam out- had to be here. Nice work
There goes my life- Not one I know, but a great little song here. Love me a sad one played on the ukulele. Seems we could have a teen pregnancy season as well...hmm. Wonder how many songs tackle this subject?
Strawberry Wine- Someone has enthusiastically met the theme head on tonight! Another good one that was not on my radar- thanks for all these!
Concrete Angel- Sad ones are the best on the Uke! Another doozy here, thank you for playing all these for my kids. Yeah- this one is one that ought to get anyone.

Onlyukethatmatters- Red Bumb Ball. Now this is how you play to the host! One of my favorite Rock-steady songs right here being knocked straight out by our friend Ralf. Even got the high parts in there...this is fantastic mate. Huge smile here in the Dale.

RAB11- Walk This Way. Ha! I never think of this song as an Aerosmith tune because I am of a certain age in which this song was accompanied by gold chains and untied Addidas on the tv. Excellent bring for the week mate.

Pueo- Thank you for the gesture mate, we appreciate it.

Mythinformed
- Baggy Trousers. Oh what fun we had! This is a nice digression from the pulling hair and eating dirt...CANNOT believe that ti took three days to get here, so glad it did and in this rendition. Excellent stuff, perfect bring. LOVE ME SOME MADNESS!

BigDaddyUker- We are gonna be friends. Another song I thought would be here the first day...excellent bring mate, just had to be here! Thanks for playing it for us.

And off for more!

Part Two of the Session- What a day we are having gang!
Recovering Bassist- School Days. FINALLY! Sheesh, what does a guy have to do? This was stupendous, and saturated with the energy it requires. Very nice.
Old School- Not one I am familiar with, but I like what I hear here. When the season settles down I will have to have a listen to the writer.

DickAdcock- Problems. WOW- Did a really nice job on this one mate. I like how mellow it is even with the strum rhythm being pretty quick, very nicely put together. Thanks for bringing it mate.

Gina's Uke- It was done already, but we can have as many versions of it as you folks wanna play...it is a favorite. And shoot...me get sick of YOU? Remember Groundhog Day? Not gonna happen. This is lovely. Thanks for playing it for us.

Send Me a Leaf- Tell you what Pancho- You play what ever you want, just keep playing them. Excellent song, delivered.

AlanDP- The Haunted Restrooms. Hahahahahahaha- What a great song mate! This is so fun. Great lyrics, great tempo- Perfect execution. Love this mate.

UkuleleLibrarian- The Hallo-Wiener Song.Hahahaha- You said Wiener. This is so great...captures everything that makes me like watching your stuff perfectly. Thanks for bringing this again for my kids. CANNOT wait until I have my kids back (we go back 10/31) This is getting played. Perfect.

Pabrizzer- Don't Laugh At Me. This will prove to be my favorite new song of the season. Just beautiful Pa...speaks to a lad I once new. Just adore this tune and you delivered it perfectly.

AlanDP- Be Chrool To Your Schuel. YES!!!!! This one I was figuring most would take a pass on. Glad you did not mate! Excellent stuff.

Off for more!!!!!Keep them coming gang!

Looks like that is it for now, but what a great load of songs I just got to listen to!
Uke4ia- Number Six Weasely. I really gotta read these books! I am however excited about the return of Wizard Rock! I have a Faultline IPA on hand (Santa Rosa Brewery) and I am thoroughly enjoying this effort for my kids. Thanks Jim!

BEV- School Days- Slide Baritone. Why would you need to get any better? This sounds AWESOME. Wouldn't say I had no worries in school...but a great song here and perfect playing. Such a great sound you get out of that set-up. Thanks for playing it for us.

Robinboyd-One angry dwarf. Great tune here, and yes, I love me a quick and dirty track. This came out great mate, thanks for playing it for us. One I never would have thought of.

Mythinformed- Brick in the Wall, Man are you filling in the gaps or what? Another song that was supposed to be here, done expertly. Love this one, took a crack myself, but the wheels feel straight off.

Berni- Esperanca Serra. What a great song here, and I knew when I read that this was a cover it was gonna be a special tune. Thanks so much for translating it for us, perfect song for the week. Love me a sad one.

Redpaul101. Love will make you fail in school. One I have never heard, but what a great little tune here. Mickey and Sylvia were great, I will certainly listen to the original...but I don't think I will like it as much as you doing her voice mate. Huge smiles.

Theonlyukethatatters. Josh Has a Crush. Yes! Pinkalele. What a great song here, and thanks for all the enthusiasm for the week mate. Water uke+hallway at work=WIN.

Bigdaddyuker. What did you learn. One of my favorite school songs...always makes me laugh when we find of caches of old text books that read like this. Always thought it was a Pete Seeger song, so I learned something in school today! Excellent.

All right- off to feed the snake evacuation center and get ready for a fire fundraiser tomorrow...this hack is gonna lay down a few songs for them. Not sure they thought that out totally ;)

Zevon wrote a song that fits! So I had to do it. Tried whistling the instrumental break on first take. Bad idea. Not sure singing was any better, but at least it was audible.

Top Bottom