Season 297 of the Ukulele- School days

Here's one from The Clash. It was written by Mick Jones about his school chum Robin Crocker, who, when he left school, made a poor career choice - bank robber.

Warning, for small and/or sensitive ears - this may contain strong language. No, it definitely DOES contain strong language.

Dang! Wish I'd thought of that! :)

I know your dad likes Webb Pierce TCK, so here's a Webb rockabilly song, which I so adore his attempts at rockabilly. I attempted this in Webb's key, so it was either keep this take, or lower the key. Lol

(The Future's So Bright) I Gotta Wear Shades

The hits keep coming thick & fast!!!

What a Wonderful World (This Could Be)

I'm sure there'll be lots more (and lots better!) versions of this as the week goes on, but, hey, all in a good cause, right? :cool:

Well, get ready for a bunch of horrible one takes from me, 'cause this week it's getting $ into helping your school, so you're gonna get sick of me.
Great theme mate.

As a fellow teacher, I highly approve of this theme!

"Brave"

Here's an original that has been kicking around for years. I even used it for an old season under a different title. Lately I've been revisiting it, with a slightly different arrangement and a new title. While it's not explicitly about school, some of the events take place at a school. It's a slightly fictionalized account of a true story I read in the local paper a long time ago.

- FiL

As always- what a way to greet the day my friends, Hosting is such a recharge for me...I really love doing a week here because you all are talented and incredible, and I am in a position where I have to soak that in instead of doing other things which are likely far less rewarding. Anyway...
Here is round one of commentary from the professor. No demerits given.
RAB11- Teachers Pet- YES!!!!! I was hoping we would get this one, a great movie for sure, love me some Mister Black. Excellent rendition mate! Love the added kid sounds as well

School- Glad to see this one here, it was one I did not expect to get this week. Very well done, tough song for sure. Excellent choice selecta!

Rustty- I love you Period. Great song here! One that was not on my radar at all...I dig this so much. Very nicely done my friend, is this a Dan Baird original? Has Chuck Berry all over it, but I guess a lot of Rock music does

Wim- Don't Stand So Close To Me- Yes indeed, this has to be here. Thank you for bringing it mate! Excellent rendition, got me playing along for sure

AlanDP
- School Song- YES!!!! We are four songs in and got a most awesome Alma Mater! This is brilliant my friend. I wish schools still had these, what a wonderful nostalgic nod to school here.

Turtledrum- I'll Never Fall In Love Again. Thanks for the words...so hard being away from my classes and my thing. Now on to this- EXCELLENT choice...had not even considered lessons as a road folks would go down. Very clever my friend and an excellent rendition here.

YorkSteve- Stay Free. My favorite school song, so glad you brought it so expertly. Loving this one- playing along and smiling mate, great choice. Think I'll go on a knicking spree when I finish my coffee ;) Just Perfect.

Off to watch some more! Looks like Mister Redfern hit us pretty hard :)

Graham Parker wrote it and performed it. Dave Edmunds played guitar on the original and recorded it, both as a "solo" artist and with Rockpile (same group, once credited and once not). Had to play it outdoors on a nice day. We're going to lighten your wallet, TCK.

More musings, get your notebooks out.
Redpaul1- Good Morning Little School Girl. So glad you went there, and the cheeky grin at the beginning has made my day my friend. Most excellent choice of songs to bring , nice work! I was hoping for this one- was not sure anyone would do it :)

Recovering Bassist- Teenage Boogie. Me and da' both love Webb Pierce and this is fantastic! I think you nailed that key there...I couldn't get there ever. Nice work here mate! Love the solo, never heard someone run a Uke fretboard like it was a doghouse bass. Awesome

Redpaul101- My Futures so bright I Gotta Wear Shades- Thick and fast! And here is a song that was not on my radar and yet it is perfect...BIG UPS SELECTA. Very nicely done my friend, thanks for the smiles
High school Confidential- Was hoping for this one!!!! So glad it is here already- wonderful stuff Paul. Definitely rockin' a little bit in Cloverdale
What a Wonderful World- You are on fire today! Another quintessential addition to the playlist. Thank you for your enthusiastic response to season mate, loving these.
Rock and Roll High School- Another of my favorite School Songs- Love me the RAMONES, glad this one is here- and will be a lot I reckon. Excellent rendition Oh Baby FUN FUN

The Martins- Rock and Roll High School. We can have as many versions of this as possible. My mom rented this movie when I was nine thinking it would be cute...game changer. Excellent rendition Benji, love the cacophony of tiny Martins in the background mate.

FIL- Brave. Poignant little tune here. One of the biggest reasons I became a teacher was to always back the underdog. This is really very sad in its progression, hoping it is not based on actual events. Very nice song here mate. Lots of things to think about here. edit...I see now that it is based loosely on something from the paper. I am a better listener than a reader

Hendulele- Back to Schooldays. Lighten away my friend- looks like lovely weather out there today, perfect day for playing a little uke in a beautiful setting. Enjoyed this thoroughly. Was one I had not thought of which makes it all the better, excellent work!

AN excellent round of songs my friends- Keep them coming!
Having a ball watching what you are bringing this week, and I haven't even gotten dressed yet ;)

Last edited:
Spent a big day of walking, trains and ferries showing some visitors around Sydney yesterday hence my late arrival.
Here's a freshly written paoriginal with one side of the homework debate.
Some parents think you're a lousy teacher if you don't give home work and some parents want you to ...

I thought it most appropriate that April was doing her homework....why can't they give 'em a break on the weekends??

Tried get the turkeys to join me on this one. Too cool for school I guess.
In any case......get your ukes, I'm in G.

Words cannot describe how massively huge this J. Geils Band song was at my high school. It was played constantly, and I loved it, though even I got kinda sick of it back then. But here I am trying to do it on the ukulele in 2017! Have i come full circle?? Lol

Top Bottom