Season 297 of the Ukulele- School days

Here's a Jimmy C Newman song from 1969, written by Tom T Hall. This song was so controversial then that it offended both country radio stations, and the FFA, and the 45's of this song were actually recalled! I put a version of this on the Island a little while back, figured it fit this week to a T, no pun intended, so I re-recorded it.

Super job playing and singing! Fun song too. :).

Last edited:
When I read on sunday morning that the topic was "School" I knew exactly which song to record.
I asked Laura if she wanted to sing it.
She did not know the song!!!
But she sung it anyway ;)
Here's Supertramp's School:

I think this has got to be a La Wolf record of putting a song together. I can’t believe I didn’t know this song either. Thanks for this one partner. You sound amazing as always and I truly appreciate how you push me to learn new music.

This one from the Pet Shop Boys was about Neil Tennant's Schooldays. Mine were not exactly happy either so I can relate to it. I loved University, though and ended up teaching in one and loved it.

This will most likely be the only one I get done this week. I'm off to a funeral 'down south' on Wednesday and will be busy tomorrow.

thanks for an awesome theme lefty,
sorry about the circumstances that had to bring it on.
whatever guts I had left I spilled for ya mate.

If I had what Geoff calls a blowy thing, I could have made the bridge a little more interesting. But I don't, so it isn't. Here's a flute-free Jethro Tull song.

I hope the schoolyard counts as part of the school...

I loved TCK and Mrs. TCK's kitchen version of this song back in 264, the Paul Simon season. It's one of those I go back and listen to all the time. I tried to attempt it myself that season, but I wasn't good enough to get through the it. I'm happy to find that I've gotten a tiny bit better since then. 😁 My whistling is still terrible, though. 😂

Sorry it took me so long to get back gang- Got asked to play a few sets at a fundraiser being done by the local ukers, and was trying to put together a set. Had to exercise a bit of sensitivity which meant getting rid of a few songs I really like, and figure out some for the eight string Bari (YAY eight string Bari). Finally sitting down after a LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG day for some entertainment and lo and behold, you have not failed me.
Ramblings from the Kid:
Bonesigh- Abigail Beecher. Took me to "History Teacher" to remember the tune, what a fantastic bring this is- Very nice! Such great song and rendition!

TCK- Blotted my happy School Days. Dude. Please...just stop. No more- you are cut off.

Aspieman456- thank you. Gonna play us a song?

YorkSteve- Teacher Teacher. YES!!! This is so great and I was so hoping it would be here. Fantastic bring, sublime execution. Thanks for the smile mate.

LimousinLil- A school song. I adore these old school songs and you did such a nice job with it. I am trying to figure out one as we speak but it is not going as swimmingly as this did. Wonderful stuff Val

WS64- Teacher. I was so certain there was no way this was gonna make it to the show because it is soooooo hard, and here it is, and you KILLED it. And from a 5500 mile distance, on day two. You sir are a force to be reckoned with. Thanks for bringing this to the Season. Jaw on the floor folks.

Recovering Bassist. FFA- Man those little runs you are laying down are PERFECT for the tunes you play. Love me a song that offends that everyone! What a great little tune this is. May have to grow a little in my school gardens to recoup some supplies :) Thanks for bringing this.

Tootler- It's a Sin. Somehow I always knew you were a professor- have an academic air my friend. This is a cool one. I remember when it came out and had forgotten completely that it was about school until I read the Wiki page. Glad it made it here mate- thanks for bringing it. Great stuff mate.

Off to watch a few more ;)

talks about school at the start then wanders off onto other things.............. but it is hawkwind!

25 years

Conversation with myself:

Me: How about that George Strait song? It's about school.

Me: eh. I don't really want to do a country song today. Or most days.

Me: Why not speed it up, make it a punkish song? could you do that?

Me: Probably not very well.

Me: Is that any reason not to try?

Me: I guess not.

Me: Sweet. Get the ukulele.

At the end of the song:

Me: Would it be funny to hold out this note really long?

Me: Probably not. It would probably be cringeworthy.

Me: Well, don't you want to see how long you can hold it out?

Me: I guess.

Me: Sweet. Check yes or noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Sorry for this, guys. Seriously.

I know I messed up quite a bit, but my arm was dead after this take. I tried to do more, and could never keep it up for more than half the song.

I know this video is not part of the seasons because it was from 2012. I hope you like it and I hope you go back to work teaching. Hopefully, I'll come up with a new video entry for a future seasons.

http://https://youtu.be/WJsp_jn9QxE

Thank you.

Last edited:
And I have finally reached the finish line- What a fantastic day of tunes folks. This is about the only thing that seems normal right now so I thank you all for being here, I really appreciate it gang.
More rambling and fawning.
Ukuleledaddy- Time Bomb High School. Hahahaha- Just noticed you also tag your videos as comedy. NAILED IT...where are you finding these? I have no idea where this song is from but it was great. Quick and dirty- perfect.

Pancho- You Were Cool. LOVE THIS. All guts, what a wonderful rendition here my friend and executed as only you can. Incidentally, one of your songs about a legendary Santa Rosa dignitary will be played at a Fire fundraiser by a lesser known Santa Rosa dignitary this Saturday. Wish you were here to play it right my friend.

Recovering Bassist, Graduation Day. All this needs is one of those suits my friend, excellent deep bring here, perfectly delivered. Very nice work and thank you for your enthusiasm this week ;)

AlanDP- Conjunction Junction. YES!!!! Love me some Schoolhouse Rock! This is stupendous Alan, what a great tune to bring along. Perfect, and loving the overdub. Beans and rice oh that's nice- HUGE SMILES here in the Dale.

Hendulele- Teacher. This is fantastic Rick, even without the blowy thing. Another one I was sure would not get played this week and here it is. Excellent stuff my friend.

Ukulelelibrarian- Me and Julio. PERFECT! Love this mate, and you did a great job with it. Great bring, definitely one of my favorite songs to play. The yard is often the most important part of the school...at least it is to my ten year old boys ;)Only thing missing is the tiny Martins- must be after bedtime.

Pabrizzer-Thanks. Love when we get Paoriginal. You really didn't like school did ya? I hated it too...seems I have a penance to pay LOL. Mine was math, and now I love it- but I ramble. Another great song my friend.

BEV- 25 years. YES YES YES YES!!!! HAWKWIND!!!!!! I did not think this one would be here either, so glad it is! This is wonderful BEV. Thanks for playing this one for us because it is requisite, and fantastic.

UkuleleLibrarian- I am so glad you had that little talk with yourself, this is more fun than we ought to be able to have. Bet you woke the kids up too ;) Freaking fantastic mate! Thanks for the HUGE smile.

Aspieman456- Thanks for the video mate! Well done sir... c'mon now, give us new one mate so I can spend a dollar ;) We want that entry now

Can't wait to see what you guys drop tomorrow on me.

This song was written by folk singer and labour hellraiser Ewan MacColl. It's about children leaving school at very young ages to work in the mines, a practice that persisted until unions, educators and progressives stopped it. At least in some countries.

Aspieman456- Thanks for the video mate! Well done sir... c'mon now, give us new one mate so I can spend a dollar ;) We want that entry now

Can't wait to see what you guys drop tomorrow on me.[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry that I wish I could give you more videos for your cause, but I couldn't find one right now. My creativity takes a long, long time to develop something. II hope your school as well as your teaching get back on track. I do feel for you, TCK. Once again, I'm really sorry that I wish I could be anymore help to your cause.

Dave McMillin

Last edited:
My Ukulele Cover video this week, Season 297, a song from childhood and days of youth , "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats, Bob Geldof . The song was a number 1 hit on the pop charts in 1979, it has an interesting true story that inspires the theme of the song.
I found this article online which details the real event and story associated with Grover Cleveland Elementary School in California early 1979, which originally inspired the song ..
https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.n...y/justice-story-don-mondays-article-1.1504277

Thanks for the opportunity, I wouldn't have thought to try this song if it wasn't for the Season. Cheers everyone.

Hope you enjoy this Ukulele cover version, the Boomtown Beaver :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom