Hello from Northeast Pennsylvania

wengr

Reaction score
Hello, I am waiting for my first ever Uke to be delivered. It will be the first time I have ever touched a Ukulele. I chose a preowned Pono RTSH(C)-PC.
I do have somewhat extensive experience with fingerstyle flat top and archtop guitar, so I'm hoping that some of that ports over. I'm capoed at fret five to build familiarity with the chord shapes before it arrives.
I can feel the UAS already, as while I'm shopping for my first, I can't help wondering how it will contrast with my next. Anyway, I look forward to learning alot here. Seems like a great place. Greg

Hey there Greg!

Welcome to UU!

I too came from both electric (Les Paul camp) and classical guitar background, and yes, all of your fretting hand experience will transfer easily, but nylon-type strings are going to be thicker than steel, as well as sound a bit duller at first, but different strings can modify the tone to your liking more so than the steel strings on guitar.

Your plucking/strumming hand may have other challenges as you adapt your steel string technique to uke strings, and there is much debate whether to play with natural fingernails, fake nails, finger-picks, flat picks, or the default of using your fleshy finger pads.

Myself, I use my natural nails as a carry-over from classical guitar and most of my technique of both strumming and fingerstyle has been without too much issue.

One thing you will notice is that the strings on ukulele are ~2mm further apart string-to-string than most guitars, so you have more space if your fingertips on your fretting hand are bulbous like mine, and you have more space too between strings at the bridge, so this can be a help or hindrance depending upon your preferences. I am confident that with your experience you will be able to adapt quickly.

You may want to click the link in my signature wherein I've collected some posts about strings and other topics, and by doing some readings, it may prevent you from buying another uke too soon before the first one ever arrives LOL.

Lots of great folks here, so dont be shy to ask questions or jump in to any thread, everyone is welcome and no question is too silly to ask.

See ya 'round! :)

Welcome to UU! The Pono is a great choice!

Thanks to all for the kind replies. So the Pono has arrived and seems a decent instrument. I struggled between the Pono PC tenor and a Kanile'a k1 tenor. I find myself wondering if I would have benefited from a 1.5" nut. hard to say when there are none available locally. Anyway, learning some tunes and enjoying it.

You may want to click the link in my signature wherein I've collected some posts about strings and other topics, and by doing some readings, it may prevent you from buying another uke too soon before the first one ever arrives LOL.

Lots of great folks here, so dont be shy to ask questions or jump in to any thread, everyone is welcome and no question is too silly to ask.

See ya 'round! :)
Hello Booli and thanks for the great reply. I have checked some of your links and find them very helpful. I seem to be getting along well so far, the main issue being how to hold the Uke in place.
Also, I will be guiding my eight year old daughter through a beginner book that I have. We will learn together, as it will be her introduction to musicianship, and she seems intensely interested.

Top Bottom