I’ve been found out (or not!)

Ukuleledad

Reaction score
So, my good lady Wife embarked on a large scale excercise to clean & tidy my little corner of the house.

After a while she approached me & stated that in her opinion my behaviour had become a concern and that owning 16 ukuleles was ‘excessive’.

My immediate thought:

‘She hasn’t found all of them!’

You could show her all the UAS threads - then she will see that 16 ukes is only slightly below 'average'

...then tell her why socket sets have all different sizes

...and why there are screwdrivers with different tips and sizes

...i.e., that you need the right 'tool' for the job at hand, ukes are the tool and the job is music :music:

If questioned and the other person reacts with shock and/or horrors, these^^ are what I do.

~

If that dont work maybe mention how lucky it is that you do not collect classic cars, like Jay Leno or Billy Joel, since for that you need to own a 75,000 sq foot warehouse to keep them all safe...

good luck!

Last edited:
I think my wife prefers not to ask. Then there's the recorders and harmonicas. If a new instrument arrives, there's a certain raised eyebrow look. OTOH, the less said about the baskets and boxes of wool and fabric piled up in the conservatory, the better. :rulez: :eek:ld: :biglaugh:

So, my good lady Wife embarked on a large scale excercise to clean & tidy my little corner of the house.

After a while she approached me & stated that in her opinion my behaviour had become a concern and that owning 16 ukuleles was ‘excessive’.

My immediate thought:

My vote for funniest one liner this year!!!!

My wife said my ukes all look the same to her. "Good" I responded I can buy more and you would never know. She said " I can count cases big boy"

Thanks for the humor.

Fortunately, my wife is a quilter, and has quite a fabric stash, with new acquisitions arriving much more frequently than my additions to my modest uke collection of less than 20.

Your wife needs her own hobby/collection/obsession.

Thanks for the humor.

Fortunately, my wife is a quilter, and has quite a fabric stash, with new acquisitions arriving much more frequently than my additions to my modest uke collection of less than 20.

Your wife needs her own hobby/collection/obsession.

Mine's a knitter as you may have guessed from my post earlier. I agree, it's better if you both have a hobby.

Plead the fifth and just don't respond. Anything you say will most definitely be used against you later. Trust me, you may say something that you think is clever and funny, but it will just backfire on you. You are not clever. Best just to remain mute about the whole subject and work on the blank stare. The blank stare is your only defense. I've been there many times, just not with ukuleles.

:smileybounce:

Maybe, if they were neatly arranged, like books on a shelf, they wouldn't look so many. ;)
Perhaps one could put them on a shelf two or three deep, so that the ones in the back are hidden. That might help. Anyway, I'm a pretty tidy person. My wife has no reason to get into my stuff. Just a good practice, I think.

This isn't the case with the OP, as he still has undiscovered ukuleles, but I always wonder what people are trying to prove when they buy ukuleles and immediately run home an show them to their spouse? I mean, especially if the spouse is not into ukuleles. Better to just be casual about it. No good can come from giving them a running count of all the ukes that have come through the door.

Last edited:
Oh, that old Martin? I've had that for years. It's just a broken down wreck I got for next to nothing...nobody wants those old things anymore ;)

Here's my remedy; I've never been married and have 7 ukes in a cabinet in the living room, preparing for an 8th, plus 15 bass ukes hanging on a wall rack in the 2nd bedroom/office/music room with more to come.

The funniest thing I've read in a long time. Thanks for the much needed laugh.

My immediate thought:

LOL, too funny

My immediate thought:

Good grief! In addition to my 2 ukes, I have multiple violin and mandolin family instruments. I recently had the third bedroom (a/k/a clutter room) re-floored, after the tedious, months-long ordeal of totally un-cluttering it, and now it's pristine. All of my instruments now reside in their cases on a single heavy three-tiered piece of crude 'furniture' that in its former life was an end-cap grocery store display, holding bottles of wine. There are only 14 instruments (I just re-counted to check!), but my husband was shocked and appalled when he saw them all together for the first time. I even had to reassure him that the 3 cases and 2 gig bags I have inside an armoire were all empty. I know I'll never be able to get another instrument unless I get rid of one first - the one-in, one-out rule. (But don't let me get started on all his books taking up every shelf in the house...lol)

bratsche

In reference to a certain recent event in the USA, a person commenting online in response to a New York Times article said something along the lines of "there's something wrong with someone who has 47 of anything". Uh oh...

What irks me the most, when it is the male spouse who has an acquisition syndrome, is when he is encouraged (by other males) to bring up the female spouse's acquisition of shoes, purses, etc. Really? As the female spouse, let me say that my modest instrument collection far exceeds my shoes and purses combined! Talk about stereotypes. Sheesh!

bratsche

What irks me the most, when it is the male spouse who has an acquisition syndrome, is when he is encouraged (by other males) to bring up the female spouse's acquisition of shoes, purses, etc. Really? As the female spouse, let me say that my modest instrument collection far exceeds my shoes and purses combined! Talk about stereotypes. Sheesh!

bratsche
Yes, as a male I agree. Read my thoughts about that on post #12. I never take the advise of my drunken friends when it comes to my wife. They are not as smart as they think they are.

Last edited:
My wife and I both have our own money. She buys cloth and sewing stuff for quilting and knitting, and I buy music stuff. She has a big sewing room that looks like a cloth store, and I have a smaller, music room and the annex (bedroom).

We moved here to downsize, but it didn’t happen. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Top Bottom