new to ukes

jbakers1

Reaction score
Hi, New guy here, I have a kamaka uke that i got in a guitar deal, I have never played a uke before, this one is suppose to be tune just like a guitar. I trying to decide if i should try to learn how to play it or sell it. Im not very good at guitar playing, i just like the peace it gives me even though im not good at it anyadvice would be apriciated. If i do decide to sell it is this a good site to sell it on?

I suggest keep it and see if you take to playing it. You can always decide to sell it later but selling it now and replacing it down the road = lost money and time.
Either way you're in the right place; UU is a great place to learn and (if it doesn't move the needle for you) you can probably find someone to take a kamaka off of your hands.

Welcome aboard. :)

Kamaka is a good name in the uke world, I'd try playing it, lots of guitar players here have found out the charm of the uke, it's fun to play, not work, like a guitar is. ;)

You have gotten a major jewel of a Ukulele. Consider it to be tuned like the bottom four stings of a guitar at the fifth fret. GCEA, though the G is higher than a guitar, known as re-entrant tuning. ( it may be a baritone! if it was supposed to be tuned like a guitar. Very cool if so. so it would be DGBE)

You didn't say what size it is, but it will be easier than a guitar to play, if only for the 4 strings. You did well in the trade it will be a good way to learn to pick notes, or strum and sing. The skills you gain with the uke will serve you well with the guitar, but the Ukulele is a lot easier to carry and hold.

I wish I had gotten a Uke all those years ago when I was pinking on the guitar. Down load a chord sheet, a Key Chord sheet and play you heart out. lot of resources on the Beginners forum in the stickies.

Last edited:
If you say that you are not much of a guitar player, you might like the ukulele. I had a guitar I never managed to learn to play properly. Since ukulele is a bit easier in some ways, having just four strings, I found that it is easier to find time for learning new songs. Just having tried guitar is probably enough that you will quickly grasp enough basics to determine if you like playing the ukulele. So give it a shot :)

Keep it. I played guitar for almost fifty years and was reasonably good, then four years ago started playing the uke, I haven't touched my guitars since and am enjoying the uke much more than I enjoyed the guitar.

Hi and welcome to UU Forum. You've come to the right place, yes indeed. I hope you learn to play the Kamaka. I had two guitars, completely different models, and never learned to play either worth a darn, but I can hold my own with my uke. My best friend, a Classical guitar teacher, switched from guitar to uke last year. Now she has 4.

Hi jbakers1 and welcome!

Keep it at least for a little while. You'll never know whether ukulele is for you without giving it a fair chance...

We are not biased in any way, but in truth, some people progress faster at the uke than the guitar for various reasons. There is also a huge online uke community, and real uke groups probably not far from where you live ready to take you in.

Hello

only matters that you enjoy playing

tried the guitar many years ago
no fun
have fallen in love with ukes

mac

Last edited:
Top Bottom