Shop-built Buffing Machine

saltytri

Reaction score
This buffing machine has proven to be a useful and safe addition to my shop. The photos show the general layout of the machine and ought to make it obvious that anyone who can put an ukulele together can probably build a similar machine at less than the cost of a commercial unit. My original post provided a list of parts and suppliers to help others of figure out what to buy and where but, after some interesting discussion concerning possible safety issues, I don't want to be responsible for what anyone else might do so I've deleted all references to particular parts, dimensions and design decisions.

37599358880_ed5e6c17ca_c.jpg

37808482986_4594de5f61_c.jpg

For many builders, it would be a good idea to extend the shaft so that buffs can be mounted on both ends. This just won't work in my shop because of severe space limitations but the value of having a buffer at all made it worthwhile to me to build it as shown. This means that it is necessary to change the buff for each grade of compound but this is easy and a small price to pay to enhance my ability to produce quality glossy finishes.

37929750741_42bb2ca6aa_c.jpg

24078709778_cf9bc38d3d_c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job ..I made a spindle to fit on the back of my lathe headstock to hold a buffing wheel ....it worked well with lots of different speeds to choose from...but up to now I've never used it.

Good idea, Ken! I should have done that with my lathe so I could buff at my max spindle speed of 3000 rpm. That would have been interesting. :rolleyes:

Hope you and Mrs. T feel better soon.

I find that about 800 RPM on a 14" buff to be the ideal speed for me. Much more than that and I'm asking for trouble.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but just the voice of caution. Buffing machines can turn into "ukulele launching machines" that can shoot out an ukulele at amazing speeds through the air and into the wall at the other side of shop in a split second with profound and disconcerting effects upon the instrument. (Sob!) This has never happened to me, but I've heard a few horror stories and the results were not pretty.... Me, I just use my hand. Surface Feet per Minute is about 120 I reckon. Possibility of the ukulele launching itself into space: 0. Bumper sticker: Real luthiers do it with their hands.

Very nice workmanship. But, for safety sake, the bearing needs to be closer to the buffing wheel by at least 50%. It's all too easy for that much unsupported mass to start whipping in a large arc if the shaft starts to bend while spinning.

Very nice workmanship. But, for safety sake, the bearing needs to be closer to the buffing wheel by at least 50%. It's all too easy for that much unsupported mass to start whipping in a large arc if the shaft starts to bend while spinning.

I think the 1" shaft at the slower rpm's that these devices run at will be ok Tho I dont know what this ones speed is...It's very similar design to the ones marketed by StewMack here http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...ng/StewMac_Guitar_Buffer_Complete_Outfit.html http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...ng/StewMac_Guitar_Buffer_Complete_Outfit.html

Last edited:
I agree that at first glance the buffing wheel would seem less dangerous if it were positioned closer to the bearing. But I'm not an engineer. The thing I don't get is why you went through all that work and didn't bother to mount two buffs. It looks like the shaft is long enough where it could easily be shifted to accommodate two buffs. It's so much easier than having to stop and change buffs. Of course in the case of two buffs you'd have you relocate the entire assembly but it could be extended off the end of the bench, or hinged like mine is.

Last edited:
I'm aware of the phenomenon and the concept of critical speed. As far as I am able to figure, my shaft speed is less than critical speed by a factor of at least 5.

Lacking engineering expertise, I used the LMII/ShopFox unit as my guide:

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/buffing/shopfox-buffing-assembly

The shafts are 3/4" in both cases. My shaft is 1.5" longer from bearing to buffing wheel but uses smaller and lighter buffs. My shaft is supported by bearing spacing that is longer than in the ShopFox unit.

If anyone has the ability to do the actual calculations, or has real world experience that bears upon this issue, please let us know!

I don't know what "critical speed" is or how to calculate it as it never came up when I was a tool and die maker. What I worry about is shaft balance and the effect of increasing radius on balance.

Here's a rough test, if the shaft bends at all when you push on the buffing wheel, you may have a problem.

A shaft and wheel assembly that doesn't vibrate at 1000 rpm is in balance. If the wheel can move off center while spinning, it's off centered weight will cause the assembly to be out of balance. Furthermore, and herein is the real danger, centrifugal force will pull the wheel further off center until you have a bent shaft and a buffing wheel swinging in an arc at 1000 rpm. I have seen this happen on engine lathes with inadequately supported shafts that were over extended from the chuck. When it happens it happens almost instantaneously.

If your shaft doesn't deflect at all when you push on the buffing wheel, you may be safe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom