Ukulele --> 5 String Banjo

jackj

Reaction score
My ukulele playing is primarily focused on Clawhammer right now, and I'm thinking about a trip into the Banjo world to continue my obsession. I've already got a Gold Tone banjo ukulele that I'm enjoying immensely, and I'm thinking that my next step is an actual 5 string.

Anyone else made this particular journey?

I have concerns about the volume and scale length of a traditional banjo--I get enough complaints from my family about my uke playing, so a steel stringed instrument might leave me homeless. Plus, the frets seem too far apart on even my parlor guitar. I'm thus thinking about something smaller, and with nylon strings.

The instrument that's most caught my eye is Aaron Keim's Beansprout Mini 5 String (scroll down past the uke to see it). But that's far more than I can spend at this point, and also a long wait.

There are a few other smaller banjos out there: the Gold Tone Plucky and CC Mini; the Deering Goodtime Parlor. Elderly tells me they can convert any model they sell to nylon strings (widening string slots; possibly taller bridge) so I would probably buy through them to ensure a proper setup.

Anybody with mini banjo experience out there? I'm also researching this on the Banjo Hangout forums, but would very much appreciate the perspective of someone from the Uke world.

Thanks!

I made the same jump last June, buying a full scale G9450 "DIXIE" 5 string open back. The size and hardware were a bit intimidating for the first week or two, but it helped the clawhammer style click. Now I have no trouble fretting the most common chord shapes Its not a super expensive banjo buts its much better than the $100-200 range entry levels, so the little extra money was worth it.

Any way you slice it this thing will be louder than a ukulele, with way more sustain. Stuffing a cloth behind the head helps a bit, but it takes more effort to keep the volume down when playing. You might want to consider a wooden instrument from Backyard music; they sell them both complete and as kits. The wooden head keeps volume down, and they are a pretty good price point for starting out. I haven't played one myself, but I still have my eye on them.
http://www.backyardmusic.com/banjos.html

I love banjo ukuleles but the one or two banjos I played felt huge. Also the thin spacing between strings seemed cramped to me. But I do love the sound. Maybe consider checking out Barry Should(sp?) Gourd banjos too.

I play baritone ukes (I have 3), tenor guitar and 5 string banjo. Banjo Hangout is a good forum with many knowledgeable players. I would strongly suggest a ‘real’ 5-string, not a banjo uke, not a banjo with nylon strings (ugh!). You will find, like with other instruments, you will get what you pay for. Good luck.

I would strongly suggest a ‘real’ 5-string, not a banjo uke, not a banjo with nylon strings (ugh!). You will find, like with other instruments, you will get what you pay for. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. Given my previous Instrument Acquisition Syndromes, I think there's a good chance I may evenutally end up with a "real" 5-string. But I gotta say I love my re-entrant banjo ukulele, and having spent many years with steel string acoustic guitars, I'm also really liking the softer, warmer sound of nylon strings. Since banjos were initially strung with gut, I'm thinking there's something "authentic" about using the modern equivalent, though of course the banjo is now a steel string instrument for most everyone.

I made the same jump last June, buying a full scale G9450 "DIXIE" 5 string open back....

You might want to consider a wooden instrument from Backyard music; they sell them both complete and as kits. The wooden head keeps volume down, and they are a pretty good price point for starting out. I haven't played one myself, but I still have my eye on them.
http://www.backyardmusic.com/banjos.html

Thanks for these tips! Given how inexpensive they are, I might just try one of the Backyard kits, just for kicks. I am mostly wanting to dip my feet at this point, so buying a good quality traditional banjo feel like too much of the deep end.

Still contemplating....

I bought a Backyard Fireside kit a few years ago and really like it. Easy to assemble, light, sounds decent (almost a dulcimer like sound) and stays in
tune...in fact, I haven't played it in a while so now is the time...wc
Fireside-banjo.jpg

(Didn't notice this was an old thread until I had posted...sorry)

Last edited:
Don't pay attention to those who say, "not a banjo with nylon strings (ugh!)." Well, pay a bit of attention, since that's one opinion, but many talented old time banjo players use nylon or Nylgut strings on at least one of their banjos. I have an old S.S. Stewart banjo with Nylgut strings and I'll never switch it back to steel strings. I also have a couple of banjos with steel strings and if I could have only one banjo it would have steel strings, but I played the banjo for 35 years before I got a ukulele.
If you want to be a bluegrass musician, then stick to steel strings, but if you want to play clawhammer or old time banjo, nylon is certainly a viable option.

Last edited:
Don't pay attention to those who say, "not a banjo with nylon strings (ugh!)." Well, pay a bit of attention, since that's one opinion, bany talented old time banjo players use nylon or Nylgut strings on at least one of their banjos. I have an old S.S. Stewart banjo with Nylgut strings and I'll never switch it back to steel strings. I also have a couple of banjos with steel strings and if I could have only one banjo it would have steel strings, but I played the banjo for 35 years before I got a ukulele.
If you want to be a bluegrass musician, then stick to steel strings, but if you want to play clawhammer or old time banjo, nylon is certainly a viable option.

+1000...I have a several (inexpensive or self made) nylon string banjos and they are great sounding. I play (at) clawhammer and old time both fretted and fretless, I also have a couple of steel strung banjos and enjoy playing them but like the nylons better, of course I don't play bluegrass (love it but hate wearing picks).:D

Last edited:
You'll love the Backyard Banjo. I added the optional armrest to mine. Looks and sounds good.
I have a bari uke tuned DGBE but thinking of getting a second one to tune dGBE for clawhammer
and more of a regular uke sound (also can use a capo on the 5th fret to match regular uke
tuning for group or jam sessions). Too much fun, I do need a 12 step program for UAS (and GAS and BAS).:D

Last edited:
You'll love the Backyard Banjo. I added the optional armrest to mine. Looks and sounds good.
I have a bari uke tuned DGBE but thinking of getting a second one to tune dGBE for clawhammer
and more of a regular uke sound (also can use a capo on the 5th fret to match regular uke
tuning for group or jam sessions). Too much fun, I do need a 12 step program for UAS (and GAS and BAS).:D

Sweet! I'm excited.
Btw, I inquired of Backyard Music if they had any plans
to issue a banjo ukulele in the near future. They said no, but
they are working on a tenor banjo kit. Which got me thinking
that such an instrument could be tuned like a baritone ukulele.
Even as a high d re-entrant for claw hammer style.

Last edited:
One thing to consider when looking for a 5-string banjo uke comes from the world of "classical banjo": the class of smaller 5-string banjos that are part of the "banjo orchestra". These include the "piccolo banjo" and the "pony banjo". They could easily be tuned like a banjo uke; they were always meant to be strung with gut (now nylon) strings. This web-site shows the various sizes :
http://piccoloplace.org/html/banjo-sizes/info0.shtml

BTW, the American Banjo Fraternity is dedicated to keeping this style of banjo playing alive; they have biannual rallies. Check this out:
http://banjofraternity.org/banjo-rallies.html

Top Bottom