wish to purchase and learn ukulele

i've decided to pass on the enya ukuleles and focus on a good used one such as a kala brand. any recommended sites for used ones? i'd probably spend $100.
thanks,
mikeB

I was actually going to suggest a Kala brand, you can be confident the build quality is good. If you are ok with an all laminate mahogany Kala tenor $100.00 will get you a new one. Buy from Mims or Uke Republic and it will be fully inspected and professionally set up. The only way to go, no worries no hassles.

I was actually going to suggest a Kala brand, you can be confident the build quality is good. If you are ok with an all laminate mahogany Kala tenor $100.00 will get you a new one. Buy from Mims or Uke Republic and it will be fully inspected and professionally set up. The only way to go, no worries no hassles.

i'll check them out. thanks dave!

I'd call Mim at (540) 505 5444 and tell her what you need and ask for her help. She's very nice and has a lot of instruments to offer in your price range.
Or check out the ukes for offer on the http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forumdisplay.php?7-Ukulele-Marketplace. Most of them will be beyond your price point but you never know.
Craigs list E-Bay and Amazon has a few that might be good. I've got a bunch of Caramels that cost $30-$90 and came pretty well set up. The Caramel Zebrawood laminates CT-100 CC-100 and CS-100 for Under $70-50 are all good ones and come with builtin tuner/equalizers, and a Honeytone amp can be had for $20-25 if you want to try shredding.

Oscar Schmidts are pretty good too if a little heavy. Ohana is a good brand too, Mim carries a lot of Ohanas.

It looks like Enya is a Chinese builder that does some work for several brands, that have pretty good rep's.

You can get a decent uke for under $100, to learn on and decide what you want in a uke. I got excited and bought a couple of solid wood ukes but I get as much fun from my laminate ukes as from my expensive (relatively) Ukuleles.

Might take a look at Enya ukes on Amazon. I see they have a solid top mahogany Enya tenor that comes with a gig bag, tuner and strap for only $23.90.

What a difference a day makes.
The above uke is now priced at $72.77 on Amazon. :/

My new Enya''s arrived today.
Great ukulele's for less than 25 bucks.
Thanks for the heads up. I only regret that I didnt buy more.

I ran into a guy at the gym who I convinced to learn Uke, and gave him the Enya link. I suggested he buy a concert first and he said he was going to order one (for $30 why not?) so I may have to give him some mentoring to get him started. Amazon had a Enya solid top Mahogany concert package with Uke, bag, tuner, strap and extra strings for $30 so we shall see. Hopefully the Enya will be pretty nice?

The Enya is really as good as it sounds on the video.
Downupdave bought the fry pan, the pineapple, the concert after he saw my fry pan NUD. I have a pineapple on its way. They are surprisingly well constructed, the padding in the gig bag is 15mm thick. It does not feel or look like a budget uke. I would buy this over any laminate uke . It is truly a winner at that price although here in Canada the price is $140. I don’t see any $35 price on amazon.
It’s a great outdoor , camping , road trip, airplane , uke jam kind of uke.
Zero maintenance and it sounds really good.
Oh yea radius fret board too! No sharp fret wires. It’s just very well built and string end beads too if you can believe it. A set of spare enya strings are included among all the other goodies. Packaged like an apple product!

Last edited:
Top Bottom