What's wrong with Kiwaya?

Oh wow. I saw that (after it was sold) and had a moment of "Stupid me, why don't I check J-guitar more often??" followed by a moment of common sense and relief that it wasn't available. Enjoy that beauty!

WOW. I didn't know Kiwaya made anything like that....Actually, I've never seen a uke like that from anyone...not with that "cutaway".

Stunningly beautiful!
Congratulations! !!!

Sweet looking ukulele. I didn't know they made ukuleles like this. I've played an all wood mahogany tenor in Seattle. Mostly, I've seen the laminate sopranos that everyone raves about. But this is really sweet with details like cutaway and maple fretboard. Very nicely done. Sound sample? Congrats.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it and a sound sample!

wow. congrats. the Kiwaya concert I had was one of the nicest ukes I've ever owned. It was a KTC=1. I've been on the lookout for a 2

This is one interesting and attractive instrument. Please share your shopping experience with us about ordering from Japan? I heard ukulele cost a lot more in Japan.

Hi Brenda, I detailed my experience with buying via J-Guitar here. In short, it was fantastic! The store Ukulele Mania is run by an English-speaking ex-pat, which made the whole experience super simple even though I can get by in Japanese fairly well. I had my uke within a couple of days, shipping was only around $60, and I think Kiwaya ukes generally cost less in Japan than when you find them stateside.

I'd highly recommend contacting Dean at Ukulele Mania regarding your quest for a concert pineapple. He gets a lot of interesting stuff in and the turnover can be pretty quick, and I've noticed that he has a lot more inventory on his Japanese site than his English site.

Thanks to all on the congrats. I'LL try to figure out how to do a sound sample to post, but I am fairly ignorant on that stuff. I can tell you I really like it and the neck action is so smooth.
Strumsilly- I have both the KTC 1 & 2 and I am a little more partial to the 1- but given the day it will be the 2.

Brenda on my experiences with purchasing thru J-Guitar in Japan:

I have purchased 3 from Dolphin Guitars (Famous FC-5- open slot headstock, solid mahogany, metal stealth micro tuners, Kiwaya KTC-95'th Anniversary, solid highly figured Koa including fretboard/bridge, Gotoh UPT's and 14 frets to the body only- no other frets, Kiwaya Taropatch, solid mahogany, Peghead tuners, concert size). I can't remember the owner's name but his English was broken, but we were able to communicate fine and he answered all my questions promptly. The shipping was around $70 + a 3% surcharge on purchase charge on credit card use. All but 1 arrived within 2 to 4 days. For some reason 1 of them went thru US Customs in Chicago and that took about 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.

The one listed on this post came from Ukulele Mania. As Janray 1940 mentioned Dean (the general manager as he told me) speaks excellent English. Was very responsive on my inquiries. Not on this pineapple uke, but I noticed the Ukulele Mania has a lot of sound samples on their listings while Dolphin Guitars did not. This pineapple arrived to my house within 4 days.

As far as prices go, probably is cheaper domestic because of shipping and surcharge on credit card use. I got these Ukes thru Japan because they are so unique and not available on the local domestic market and a love all things Kiwaya. Hope this helped somewhat.

Thank you Janeray1940, didn't know you can read Japanese.
dsummers thank you for sharing your experience.

I emailed J-Guitar but Dean from Mania responded instead. I guess they are the same company. He said dsummers uke is a special order, they don't have it in stock. I will enquire if he has other pineapple ukulele . dsummers uke is very unique . I really like it.

I emailed J-Guitar but Dean from Mania responded instead. I guess they are the same company.

I think J-Guitar is an aggregator/intermediary for multiple Japanese instrument sellers who are willing to ship overseas. They forward your inquiry to the individual retailers, and from there you proceed to communicate directly with the actual seller.

I think J-Guitar is an aggregator/intermediary for multiple Japanese instrument sellers who are willing to ship overseas. They forward your inquiry to the individual retailers, and from there you proceed to communicate directly with the actual seller.

Something like Reverb.

I've bought through Rakuten which is probably equivalent to their version of ebay. I bought a Famous uke through Guitar Planet and their English was decent. Shipping was fairly quick.
I'm glad Janeray mentions Dean / Ukulele Mania because I have inquired to him in the past too. And he's just a regular American expat living there, so I would definitely feel comfortable buying from him if I were buying another Famous/Kiwaya.
Alternately, find someone stationed over there in Okinawa and have them bring it home!

Top Bottom