Thin Banjolele Strap

SoCal

Reaction score
I apologize if there's another thread on this. I couldn't find it. I just placed an order for a Kala Koa Banjolele. I'd like to get a nice strap for it. For my Ukes I really enjoy the Levy's Henderson straps because they are thin, nice looking and easy to use.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight strap that will be easy to use for my new banjolele that won't scratch the shell or look unsightly?

I'd prefer not to use strap buttons and would like to just utilize existing banjolele hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Lori at Uke Leash. I have these on my banjo ukuleles. I saw her booth at the LA Ukulele Festival but was a little too shy to go over and bother her—and she sells so many straps that I’m sure she wouldn’t have remembered who I was!

Congrats on your forthcoming Kala! Is that one of the USA models? I haven't had the opportunity to try one, but I bet it will be fantastic, given other instruments I've seen from the same workshop.

I can't play any uke without a strap. I recently picked up an inexpensive Gold Tone concert banjo ukulele, and first thing I did was make a strap out of paracord, tied to the j-bolt tension hooks, and using a midshipman's hitch on one side so I can vary the length. For me, this is the PERFECT solution, both functionally and aesthetically. It's more secure than any other strap I've got, incredibly easy to adjust, not a barrier to getting the instrument in and out the case, and fits the backwoods vibe that I associate with this instrument. On a full size banjo I'd want something wider to spread the weight out, but I've got no discomfort with my little concert uke.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I may end up replacing it with some 4mm hemp rope to up the hillbilly factor one more notch.

Last edited:
Contact Lori at Uke Leash. I have these on my banjo ukuleles. I saw her booth at the LA Ukulele Festival but was a little too shy to go over and bother her—and she sells so many straps that I’m sure she wouldn’t have remembered who I was!
Hi Choirguy
No need to be shy... I would have remembered your UU name for sure. We were very busy at the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival this year. Great festival! All the uke people are so nice and friendly. We do have banjo uke straps with options for all kinds of set up.

–Lori

Choirguy, JackJ and Lori, thanks for the quick replies. JackJ, yes, it's a Kala USA koa banjolele. I can't wait to give it a try. :) And P.S. your solutions sounds great, but I'm not handy enough to try all that.

Lori, I just sent you an email.

Top Bottom