Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice, please!

Default Advice, please!

I need advice from a knowledgeable person (which you all are, apart from me!) I have been strangely (and naughtily) attracted to a baritone uke - made by my favourite "man in shed" luthier - which is tuned CFAD. As it is luthier-made, I assume that it has been specially produced for that tuning. What I want to know is whether I can play it using the normal baritone DGBE chord shapes, or whether I need to learn a whole lot of new chord shapes (in which case, it is a definite "no, no".) I am only intending to play this on my own ... not with others; so don't need to fit in with a normal DGBE "sound". SORRY ... I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to things musical!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Your regular baritone shapes will be just fine. Everything will sound a tone lower, that's all.

If you're playing chord shapes for the key of G you will actually be playing the key of F. Similarly if you are playing Key of D chord shapes you will actually be playing key of C and so on. If you want to be in regular baritone pitch at any time, simply put a capo on the second fret.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Thank you, kind Sir ... that is what I needed to know! (Now all I've got to do is find the money!)
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

......& you need another uke.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I also don’t see why you couldn’t raise each string to “normal” Baritone tuning. You could even buy special strings and tune it like many Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors (GCEA).
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Done all that on other ukes, Mr. "Choirguy" - sorry, I don't know your name! This uke is a special shape ... to enhance the CFAD tuning, I assume. (It looks more like a bouzouki, for which, I think, the normal tuning IS CFAD - but with the bouzouki you would have 8 strings.) And, yes, Keith, for multiple reasons too complicated to explain, I am feeling depressed at the moment ... so I NEED another uke!
    Last edited by LimousinLil; 10-27-2017 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I also don’t see why you couldn’t raise each string to “normal” Baritone tuning. You could even buy special strings and tune it like many Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors (GCEA).
    Everyone makes there own choices for their own reasons but tuning down can be useful to make it easier for singing.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Yes, thanks Geoff! To be honest, as I said previously, this uke has been custom-made and is more of a bouzouki shape than a traditional uke and, so far as I can understand CFAD is the normal tuning for a bouzouki ... so I am assuming that the uke has been purpose-made with this tuning in mind. And, yes, to be honest again ... I just need a bit of distraction and fancy trying something different, finances permitting! (This chap really IS a shed-builder and his prices aren't excessive, but, having owned another of his instruments, I know the quality is good.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    Everyone makes there own choices for their own reasons but tuning down can be useful to make it easier for singing.
    't

I have many guitar friends tell be the same thing. I don't understand. If you are singing "C" how does being tuned up or down help.
    I believe a "C" is a "C" no matter the tuning.
    Keep Strummin'

You're losing me here!

Thread Information