Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice, please!

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Eb does not look easy, Robin ... especially Ebsus4!
    Not sure how it is on a baritone, but in my experience, sus4 chords can be a bit tricky. On GCEA ukes Ebsus4 is tricky, but there are worse ones. Anyway, I've yet to see an Ebsus4 chord required for a song in Eb. I'm sure they are all over the place, but I haven't had to play them.

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    Not sure how it is on a baritone, but in my experience, sus4 chords can be a bit tricky. On GCEA ukes Ebsus4 is tricky, but there are worse ones. Anyway, I've yet to see an Ebsus4 chord required for a song in Eb. I'm sure they are all over the place, but I haven't had to play them.
    Try 3346. Csus4 up three frets.

I also like to use 0331 for Eb, makes it a bit easier than the normal E shape down a semitone
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Very many thanks, Geoff! I use Ultimate Guitar myself. Haven't tried auto scroll, Ryan.
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Very many thanks, Geoff! I use Ultimate Guitar myself. Haven't tried auto scroll, Ryan.
    A rough and ready check with Ultimate Guitar for Baritone chords is to look at the guitar chords and ignore the 5th & 6th strings (the two lowest pitch ones). I've done that successfully on a few occasions.

I usually copy and past the chord chart into a text file and use some software I have on my computer to convert the layout to chord pro format (chords inline with the text) and adjust the font size to keep everything on one page. No need for auto scroll then as I find it very difficult to get the scroll rate just right.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Val, if you like singing in G on the standard uke and your translating that shape to the bari you are singing D.
    You are a soprano, but you already knew that.

All the talk about the Eb has me smiling. I always played the Eb as the E, backed up one fret. I never looked it up. I just figured it was the same shape as the E. When I was teaching my granddaughter a song that had Eb I saw that it is actually played 0331. That is quite easy for me and Id prefer to play the Eb over the E any day.

I never sing in the original key to any song and I transpose everything in http://www.logue.net/xp/ unless Im using Ultimate Guitar. It almost always works and if it doesn't then I have to figure something else out.....like using my brain which also hardly ever works out!

So many sites have the chords in C. I get very frustrated with Dr ukes site because it doesn't have the ability to transpose and doesn't work in logue.net. Thats when I grab the bari and use the standard shapes but that confuses my mind. In fact the whole switching thing confuses my mind too. I find myself playing several songs on the bari and then when I go back to the standard uke I will surely get stumped on some simple chord. Ill find myself looking up what an D is? go figure!

C is not my key. it is almost always too high and there will be several notes that are out of my comfort zone.
    Last edited by lelouden; 10-28-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

I almost always work the chords to a song out for myself, it's just something I enjoy doing. I don't do it while listening to the song, so I never know whether I'm putting it into it's "original" key. I try to find a key that works for my voice (such as it is) and it also fun to play. Some progressions are more fun to play in certain keys, for example C-C#dim-Dm-G7 just doesn't "feel" right when transposed. I've played piano since I was a kid, so transposing and working our progressions is usually pretty easy.

I've also found that many songs that are covered a lot, often have very different chord structures. For example, "Ain't She Sweet" (all converted to the key of C for this example) usually starts out,
    [C] Ain’t [C#dim] she [G7] sweet?

But Sinatra played it,
    [C6] Ain’t [Fm] she [G7] sweet?

And others have played it
    [C] Ain’t [C#dim] she [Dm] sweet? [G7]

As far as I'm concerned, they're all valid! Have fun and experiment!
    Randy - Harry122

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    Have you noticed a key that you particularly feel comfortable singing in? What do you play most of your songs in? That is how you would know if it will work fine for you.
    Once you learn the five basic keys for a uke tuning, no other key is more than a semitone away—an easy pitch adjustment for any singer to make with most songs, so in theory, there really isn't any fleas tuning that won't work fine, if solo singing with strummed chords is the main criterion. (I won't delve into the issue of transposing chord names so one can play from them easily and get the result in the desired key, except to note that for me transposing from my original sources is the rule rather than the exception, so not really an additional hardship—the different tuning is just a wrinkle in the same process.)

F tuning (CFAD) has a nice selection of "easy" keys. Comparing to the C tuning keys of F, C, G, D and A (or Bb), the same shapes in G tuning match the keys C, G, D, A and E (or F), and in F tuning, they match the keys Bb, F, C, G and D (or Eb).

If you know C tuning well, you can use the flats sequence to translate chord names to G tuning shapes; similarly, you can use the sharps sequence (FCGDAEB, the reverse of the flats sequence) to translate chord names to F tuning shapes: a C chord uses the (C-uke) G shape, an Am chord uses the Em shape, a B7 chord uses the F#7 shape, etc. Effectively, you're moving clockwise around the circle of fifths.

If you're more familiar with G tuning shape names, you use the shape of the chord a whole step up: An F-tuning C chord uses the G-tuning D shape, an Am chord uses the Bm shape, a B7 chord uses the C7 shape, etc.

As mentioned before, if you capo F tuning at the 2nd fret, you have G tuning. But you don't actually have to apply a capo to leverage off this knowledge: you can just envision the second fret as matching the nut in G tuning; everything at and above the 2nd fret becomes familiar territory. This is especially true once you learn movable shapes. I use this virtual nut (or virtual capo) approach a lot on my A, Bb and D ukes, rather than trying to memorize a new fretboard for each; really, all fleas tunings are just windows on the same extended, cyclic fretboard.
    Last edited by ubulele; 10-28-2017 at 02:18 PM.

i have my wolfelele and my cigar box bari uke, both half a step down all the time, they sound nice that way, i don't think to myself "oh this is g flat" i just play and think g chord, it works fine unless i wanna play along with someone else who is in standard tuning! but then i can always just grab another one of my ten gazillion ukes for that!

Thanks so much, Linda, Randy, Ubulele and Lynda for all the words of wisdom and good advice ... which I need to re-read (several times) and inwardly digest! And actually, Linda, I DO play the "proper" chords for a bari when I'm playing a bari ... so when I play G, I am playing a G and not a D. I do, then, feel comfortable singing in the key of G ... what does this say about my "voice" (and I use the term advisedly)?
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

If you mean what is your voice range, after a brief sampling of your videos, I think you'd be classed a low contralto, between contralto and (male) tenor. The lowest note I heard was D3 (D a step above low C); the highest, A4 (A above middle C); that's a span of an octave and a fifth. Contralto range typically starts at F3, male tenor at B2, mezzo-soprano at A3, soprano at C4 (middle C).

I see why you like the key of G, because a lot of songs dip down a fourth below the tonic; in G, that would mean dipping down to D, the same lowest note I heard in my sampling—also the lowest note on a bari in linear G tuning—while it still leaves you a full octave above G, plus a step. That arrangement around the tonics accommodates the majority of popular songs.

Thread Information