Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice, please!

Lil:
    Did you detune a bari and try the tuning? I was going to try it but didn't want to upset my strings. I think going down one note/two simitones shouldn't make the strings too rubbery.

If the maker uses a slightly longer scale (say, 21.5", like a 1/2 size or tenor guitar), then you would use the same string string sets as for bari ukes; the string lengths have enough excess to accommodate a mere inch or two increase in scale length, just as most soprano sets can still fit tenors (a full 4" increase in scale). The longer the scale, the lower the pitch at the same string tension, which is just what you want.

If the scale is roughly the same as for baris (19"-20"), you might prefer to use slightly thicker strings, but you can easily get these from string makers like Worth, sets available through various online vendors, though I don't know what the best ones serving continental Europe are. When the scale is kept constant and there's no change in string material, then a thicker string at the same tension will sound lower in pitch.

Do I think CFAD would fit your range? The short answer is yes; a longer answer I gave above, in responding to Linda's comment. Basically, any fleas tuning can be a good fit for almost anyone's range, though they favor different key sets. Like G tuning, F tuning favors common keys, including G, which you'd now play with the shapes you use for the key of A on your G baris. So for G you might prefer to stick with a G bari, or you might appreciate that you get different voicings by using the A shapes. For other keys, you'll find each tuning good for certain ones, worse for others.

CFAD will even provide advantages for certain melodic spans. For instance, a common song pattern is to go from a tonic on the bottom to a step or two above the tonic an octave above. In G, this would push you to the very top or beyond the top of your range. But if you shift it down to F or Eb instead, it will fit within your range, more comfortably. F is one of the "easy" keys in G tuning, but it's one of the hardest of those, whereas in F tuning you'd be using the chord shapes as for G in G tuning—ones you like—and the key of Eb would be rather more manageable in F tuning than in G tuning, if you wanted to push the song lower still.

Also remember that you can easily capo F tuning into G tuning, so for songs where G tuning works better, you have it at the ready, on the same instrument, and you're already used to thinking in G tuning, so the transposition aspect becomes a no-brainer (unlike if you capoed G tuning at the 1st or 2nd fret to turn, say, F, Bb or Eb into an easier key to play). Best of both worlds. You have new chord voicing choices for the overlap keys of C and G (and D), and you've expanded your "easy key" set by two: Bb and Eb—no longer a need to shift them to neighboring keys if Bb or Eb already work well for your voice and you like the chord shapes and connections.

Granted, there will be some confusion regarding chord name mapping and transposition, but the confusion may mostly stem from the fact that you can address these issues in several ways—even combine them—with several different outcomes. It's probably best not to delve deeper into this until you have the instrument in your hands. Just be prepared for everyone to tell you a different way (as, indeed, we already have!)

As for my name, well, I rather like my handle here, or just Ubu. Living in France, you may understand the reference, even if it strikes you as a strange choice, assonance aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry122 View Post
    Most people ask me to sing Tenor. Tenor Twenty miles away, actually!
    That's not so bad: I get requests for 900 Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Recovering Bassist View Post
    Welp, I got low C3 and high G5, what am I?? lol I've never had a key I've considered "mine". I just use whatever works, try for the record key first, and go from there.
    Tenor, and, I presume, using falsetto on the top notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry122 View Post
    Most people ask me to sing Tenor. Tenor Twenty miles away, actually!
    lol !!!!!

Thanks all for your amazing inputs .... I'm honestly not sure what I've started here! "Ubu", I am totally confounded by the depth and breadth of your knowledge. Geoff, I am delighted that I may not have inadvertently changed sex. Jack, I HAVE tried a bari tuned down and liked the sound. Randy and Ubu ... thanks for the jokes! And, Linda, thanks so much for the reassurance ... the results of your test will be forthcoming once I have sorted out the intricacies of an almost overdue tax return. Meanwhile, all bets are on!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    Tenor, and, I presume, using falsetto on the top notes.
    Yep, that's true, I do use falsetto at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Recovering Bassist View Post
    Yep, that's true, I do use falsetto at times.
    You DON'T surely ... I never would have guessed!!!!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    You DON'T surely ... I never would have guessed!!!!
    Yep. Well, sometimes it's on purpose, like doing back up/call back vocals songs have, I'll do those in falsetto on purpose pretty often. But sure, certain songs on certain notes, I will do it, but I'll usually lower the key before having to do too much of it.

Well ... I have done the evil deed and purchased the offending instrument. Watch this space! (And I still haven't had time to do the voice test, Linda .. hopefully, tomorrow!)

Thread Information