Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice, please!

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Trust you didn't put your back out doing that vocal test, Robin ... sounds dangerous! "Ubu", I am getting more and more confused by the depth and breadth of your knowledge ... and still haven't done the test myself yet.
    I hurt it on Sunday. It flared up in the middle of this morning. Not sure why. Don't think it has anything to do with singing.

I'm also constantly amazed by ubulele's knowledge. I admit that I only understand a small portion of what he writes, but I try to learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Done all that on other ukes, Mr. "Choirguy" - sorry, I don't know your name! This uke is a special shape ... to enhance the CFAD tuning, I assume. (It looks more like a bouzouki, for which, I think, the normal tuning IS CFAD - but with the bouzouki you would have 8 strings.) And, yes, Keith, for multiple reasons too complicated to explain, I am feeling depressed at the moment ... so I NEED another uke!
    Some folks tune their bouzouki GDAE, an octave below a mandolin. Some tune it GDAD, which gives a dronier sound like DADGAD guitar. I have never seen a bouzouki tuned CFAD, but perhaps Greek bouzoukis are tuned this way; I'm more familiar with Irish bouzoukis with the flat backs. Greek bouzoukis have bowl backs and 3 or 4 double courses.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    First, the ranges in that video are significantly wider than most people have without using falsetto or "head voice" (don't include those notes); the video's voice range limits go both lower and higher than usual classifications, which is misleading about expectations for each range.

G3? That's only the G below middle C (C4, the lowest note in reentrant C tuning). Surely you mean G2 (G below low C), which would be fairly typical for a baritone; you sing down to A2 in the "One Angry Dwarf" video. Your top note in full voice is more likely to be between C4 (middle C) and G4. It's easy to sing an octave off instead of in unison, because we do that sort of harmonizing all the time to fit melody lines into our personal ranges.

In the morning, my voice range typically drops: I was able to push out D2 this morning, and when I'm sick, I can sometimes hit below C2, but I'm definitely not a bass—not yet, at least. Coffee kills my low notes—today after a coffee I was struggling to get G2, which is usually reliable. Best to test in the middle of the day, and not after coffee or soft drinks.
    I've downloaded an app to clear up confusion and it confirms what you are saying. It tells me that my range is approximately between G2 and F#4. I can't hit G4 without my voice cracking. That still seems like a pretty big range. I can't hit that high F# without absolutely belting it though. If I try to sing it softly, my voice cracks. (P.s. I hope to show off that exact note in this season's entry, which is one of the reasons I've been thinking about range. I have to BELT this song to make it work.)

Edit: Actually I can hit G4, which is good because that's the note I'm supposed to be singing for this week's song!
    Last edited by robinboyd; 10-31-2017 at 02:15 AM.

I can reach A2 to F5. In HS I always sang alto in choir but as Ive gotten older my vocal range has dropped. That is typical. Funny think is I lead the music at church and I have to fake that Im singing most the time because I can't get any where near those soprano melody notes.

This has been a fun little thread. Thanks to Val for keeping us hanging on the edge of our seats to hear the new baritone. And its been quite helpful to have Ubulele here for the education and so willing to help.
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Going to be a while before I get this bouzouki/baritone uki; still waiting to confirm details. This is what it looks like though ...shbs21054.jpg.
    And I STILL haven't done the vocal range test yet, Linda ... been out most of the day. Not sure it'll work at the moment as I seem to have developed a cough ... perhaps I can find the vocal range for that?
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

oooooooooooooooh that looks great!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    I can reach A2 to F5. In HS I always sang alto in choir but as Ive gotten older my vocal range has dropped. That is typical. Funny think is I lead the music at church and I have to fake that Im singing most the time because I can't get any where near those soprano melody notes.

This has been a fun little thread. Thanks to Val for keeping us hanging on the edge of our seats to hear the new baritone. And its been quite helpful to have Ubulele here for the education and so willing to help.
    We just tested Tiffany and while I've forgotten the exact notes, she fits somewhere between mezzo soprano and soprano. She said she always struggled in choir because she couldn't quite reach the high notes that sopranos needed to get to, but there was no way she could sing low enough for mezzo soprano parts.

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    We just tested Tiffany and while I've forgotten the exact notes, she fits somewhere between mezzo soprano and soprano. She said she always struggled in choir because she couldn't quite reach the high notes that sopranos needed to get to, but there was no way she could sing low enough for mezzo soprano parts.
    Maybe this will help her.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwC4...4qfpZLoo&t=545

I only joined choir at school to get me out of a maths lesson once a week........It didn't last long until the music teacher outed me as a 'growler' and slung me out !!
    Last edited by mythinformed; 10-31-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    Keeping It Raw, Keeping It Real

AND HERE IT IS .... THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR: MY AMAZING NEW "BOUZOUKI-UKI". 23519052_1613091165380192_4911145544050549992_n.jpg

(It doubles as a lethal weapon and a frying pan!) If you would like to hear what it sounds like - and who wouldn't after all that discussion? - I have posted a song in the "Misfits" department.
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Thread Information