Advice, please!

if you search roger terry over on hobgoblin, you can see quite a few of his instruments, not all have thumbnail pics but there is a VERY nice looking round 4 string guitar and a lovely looking bari

https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/productlist.php?Search=roger+terry

my flat is full of instruments, many now made by my friend completely from scractch, i can imagine if you like to make instruments, there comes a point where you just can't fit them all in your house and you have to let them go, it looks like roger makes some reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally nice stuff

That link is super helpful. I tried to find his things on their web site yesterday and was not able to for some reason, so you have saved me from frustration and disappointment and THANK YOU BEVOMU - You're the best! :)

I agree that his instruments look great.

Lately, I much prefer the more rough hand-made look and feel than the factory made so-called 'perfection'.

Something about knowing that a single person carved it up and put it together, makes it more desirable to me. I cant put my finger on it exactly.

I will keeping my eye on that link for when I have some funds, as it seems hard to find similar builders here in the USA.

Maybe there is some kind of hermit luthier collective that operates like 'Fight Club', and as such the obey 'The First Rule' of it...

A real true ascetic, a HERMIT luthier! A hero LOL. I approve of this message. The rarity makes that instrument truly special. The provenance is perfect, and to be owned by such a wonderful person as you! I am so happy for you. :) Thanks for the info.

14" dia body, check
17" neck from body, check

This info is mighty helpful and clues me in on a possible project I have in mind...

I have an old snare drum (14" dia and 3.5" deep) and a strat-style guitar neck (25" scale) that I might try and hack together as a 'Cello Banjo' (Gold Tone makes them, but they are at least $650) and string it up in fifths GDAE style with some classical guitar strings...

The wheels in my brain are turning now...

Thanks for the helpful replies Val!

I really love the sound of your playing this instrument in those videos - such a deep and resonant tone - it seems that the body really projects forward a great complimentary support to your singing voice.

:music:

Thanks so much, kind Sir! (If you ever decide that you want one of his instruments, I might be able to help with the shipping)

Thanks so much, kind Sir! (If you ever decide that you want one of his instruments, I might be able to help with the shipping)

Val, that is such a generous offer! :)

I will let you know if/when the time comes and we can figure out the least painful way.

Been looking at the Roger Terry instruments on the Hobgoblin site. The prices look fantastic for one off handmade instruments. Wish I lived nearer Bristol so I could pop in and try the Bari. We have a Hobgoblin near me in Leeds, wonder if they'd do an inter store transfer so I could try it ......hmmmmmm :confused:

Been looking at the Roger Terry instruments on the Hobgoblin site. The prices look fantastic for one off handmade instruments. Wish I lived nearer Bristol so I could pop in and try the Bari. We have a Hobgoblin near me in Leeds, wonder if they'd do an inter store transfer so I could try it ......hmmmmmm :confused:

I think they DO do store transfers, John. I can vouch for the quality of his instruments, though ... I've now got two and I love them both. (I actually bought both of them on the strength of someone playing them down the phone to me - yes, I know, not the way to do it!) Both the instruments I've got are very comfortable to play and the original bari. has been my go-to uke for a long time now. I don't know whether you've ever dealt with them before, but the staff at Hobgoblin are very knowledgeable and helpful. (I've posted a second vid. using the new bouzouki-uki which might give you a better idea of the sound ... although maybe not with my playing!!!)

I can vouch for the quality of his instruments, though ... I've now got two and I love them both. (I actually bought both of them on the strength of someone playing them down the phone to me - yes, I know, not the way to do it!)

oh we posted at the exact same time, lol! well, i think you have proved that buying instruments on the strength of someone playing them down the phone to you, IS a great way to choose!

oh we posted at the exact same time, lol! well, i think you have proved that buying instruments on the strength of someone playing them down the phone to you, IS a great way to choose!

I don't think the purists would agree, Lynda ... I can hear a lot of tut-tutting going on! (Trouble is, when you live in the middle of deepest France, there isn't much alternative!)

Thanks Val. Bit of food for thought here. Maybe Santa might bring me one. And I’m not what you’d call a purist, so no tutting here ;)

I don't think the purists would agree, Lynda ... I can hear a lot of tut-tutting going on! (Trouble is, when you live in the middle of deepest France, there isn't much alternative!)

Maybe another factor is what I've heard about merchant rules in Europe regarding returns, in that vendors are mandated to allow returns, so if you get a lemon or a dud you can send it back without contention as per the laws.

In the USA it is vendor specific, and each vendor can set an individual 'return policy', some with a very short window (48 hrs) and others with a longer window (45 days, like Amazon)...

So even if you buy based only upon the sales listing (without auditioning over the phone - :)), you have little to lose and can get your money back, but since I am in the USA, I have not been exposed to how it works directly and my impression here is solely based upon testimonials of others, so I am probably not getting all the facts in full detail - maybe someone has a link to share on this?

I've bought all my ukes online, (mainly from reputable dealers), so not much different to how you bought yours, & I've not had a bad one yet.

I think we are pretty lucky with our suppliers, they aren't just in it for the money, they seem to care about the instruments they sell.

Maybe another factor is what I've heard about merchant rules in Europe regarding returns, in that vendors are mandated to allow returns, so if you get a lemon or a dud you can send it back without contention as per the laws.

In the USA it is vendor specific, and each vendor can set an individual 'return policy', some with a very short window (48 hrs) and others with a longer window (45 days, like Amazon)...

So even if you buy based only upon the sales listing (without auditioning over the phone - :)), you have little to lose and can get your money back, but since I am in the USA, I have not been exposed to how it works directly and my impression here is solely based upon testimonials of others, so I am probably not getting all the facts in full detail - maybe someone has a link to share on this?

The distance selling regs here in the UK give you an absolute right to return something bought mail order/online if you're not happy with it and you are entitled to a full refund of your money. Internally at least they should also cover the cost of returning it. There is a time limit within which you should return it after which you will be assumed to have been satisfied with the goods. This could well have come from an EU directive in which case it will apply in some form throughout the the EU. There will be local variants of the regs.

We also have a right of replace or refund for defective goods and this applies regardless of where/how you bought it. The vendor is permitted one attempt at repair, though. The legislation refers to an "inherent fault"

I'm not sure how or if this would apply if you in the USA bought directly from a UK or other Vendor elsewhere in the EU. I reckon it could well depend on the terms of trade agreements that there are between the EU and the USA.

We could well lose these protections as our very right wing government is hell bent on taking us out of the EU and one of the things they are desperate to do is tear up much of the worker rights and consumer protection we have acquired through our EU membership.

Last edited:
I had a look at Roger Terry instruments at Hobgoblin and his his prices are incredible for hand made instruments.

Hobgoblin's "house brand" is Ashbury. I didn't used to rate them but they seem to have improved and the top end of their range is quite pricey.

Another UK luthier worth a look is Rob Collins (www.tinguitar.com). His ukes, especially his standard models are very reasonably priced. Someone at a small uke fest I went to this spring just past had a Collins soprano and it sounded fabulous. I considered ordering one of his concert Taro Patch ukes but I found a Baton Rouge 8 string tenor in a local shop so I went with that. If I can build up enough funds, I might enquiry to see if he would make an 8 string bari as I rather fancy one. That's a way off for now, though but I reckon it if I can put together a reasonable deposit, I would have time to save the rest.

Agreed, Geoff! I've got an Ashbury AT-24 Tenor Guitar (which I bought secondhand from Hobgoblin) ... it is solid sapele (sourced locally in Vietnam where at least some of Ashbury's instruments are made.) I'm very pleased with it ... I don't think I could have afforded a new one, though - over £500! I also have a secondhand Rob Collins' soprano - his basic model - and, again, I would recommend his ukes.

The distance selling regs here in the UK give you an absolute right to return something bought mail order/online if you're not happy with it and you are entitled to a full refund of your money. Internally at least they should also cover the cost of returning it. There is a time limit within which you should return it after which you will be assumed to have been satisfied with the goods. This could well have come from an EU directive in which case it will apply in some form throughout the the EU. There will be local variants of the regs.

We also have a right of replace or refund for defective goods and this applies regardless of where/how you bought it. The vendor is permitted one attempt at repair, though. The legislation refers to an "inherent fault"

I'm not sure how or if this would apply if you in the USA bought directly from a UK or other Vendor elsewhere in the EU. I reckon it could well depend on the terms of trade agreements that there are between the EU and the USA.

We could well lose these protections as our very right wing government is hell bent on taking us out of the EU and one of the things they are desperate to do is tear up much of the worker rights and consumer protection we have acquired through our EU membership.

Hi Geoff -

Thanks for the helpful info. It seems like a good offering to consumers, while also keeping vendors honest and giving them an incentive NOT to sell dodgy or rubbish goods (like Walmart, Doller-General, DollarTree, etc here in the USA which are selling mostly cheap junk or that which is made in 3rd-world countries by sweatshops that depend upon child-labor which is illegal in most civilized locales).

It is nice to know that consumer rights are being attended to.

I usually prefer to stay away from politics, but I think from a layman's understanding that the whole concept of the EU in terms of trade equalization and currency balance was a wonderful idea, and I am sorry to see it breaking down now.

Unification seems not easy, and especially with folks struggling to retain their national identities and heritage...but alas, everything changes...

On a happy note, I am glad to see so many great luthiers in the UK, and so many great music shops in the UK, and I am pleased that folks have access to such great resources, for in the end, as consumers we all win, and the better competition and greater choice seems good for everyone involved.

Top Bottom