Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Using thumb to fret

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    Hi, Camsuke!

I have never met any decent ukuele or guitar player who plays with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play except for you and kohanmike.

Jake's grip doesn't require unnecessary movement.
    Very funny zztush, you have obviously misunderstood my earlier post you may have also exposed me as not a decent player how cruel.
    Last edited by Camsuke; 10-28-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    All the best,
    Campbell

I certainly am not going to say who is a decent player and who isn't, based on where they put their thumb. As for myself, my hand moves around a lot, and sometimes my thumb is planted on the back of the neck, and the next moment I look like I'm hitch hiking to Barstow. I have never tried to fret with my thumb, and I don't recommend it, but since I started playing a stringed instrument, and since then have heard some people demand that one place the thumb behind the neck at all times, I have taken note of ukulele players and guitar players wherever I see them performing, tv, live, or on the internet. I can't say that I have seen anyone who actually does that.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

One thing to mention in this regard is that a player shouldn't use the thumb out of necessity. While I have been attaining proficiency with the instrument I have been frustrated and I did some silly things to be able to play E major, C# major, and the B major chords. In each case, once I practiced more and more it became unnecessary to do these things and doing these things did nothing but delay my progress. So, as a novice player myself, I would say practice more and innovate less; there's a reason standard fingerings are standard. That being said, I see nothing wrong with using the thumb if it is merely a choice and if it speeds up the transitioning. However, in this case, I don't see the benefit. There is a lot of wasted motion going on, whereas with the standard fingerings, all you need to do is move one finger without changing the position of the palm and wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I certainly am not going to say who is a decent player and who isn't, based on where they put their thumb. As for myself, my hand moves around a lot, and sometimes my thumb is planted on the back of the neck, and the next moment I look like I'm hitch hiking to Barstow. I have never tried to fret with my thumb, and I don't recommend it, but since I started playing a stringed instrument, and since then have heard some people demand that one place the thumb behind the neck at all times, I have taken note of ukulele players and guitar players wherever I see them performing, tv, live, or on the internet. I can't say that I have seen anyone who actually does that.
    "Thumbs Up" I love the hitch hiking analogy, I'm exactly the same, my thumb is constantly waving in the breeze, it would be almost impossible to keep it tucked away behind the neck at all times. I would also find it extremely uncomfortable to use the thumb to fret notes on a ukulele, for me it's quite a natural thing to do on steel stringed guitar, but quite awkward & unnecessary on a little ukulele
    All the best,
    Campbell

Hi, Camsuke!

I just curious the person who can play with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play. I have never met such decent guitar player except for Camsuke and kohanmike. Don't blame my thumb location again. righrt?
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Hi, Camsuke!

I just curious the person who can play with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play. I have never met such decent guitar player except for Camsuke and kohanmike. Don't blame my thumb location again. righrt?
    Sorry zztush, you've lost me, I don't understand what you are talking about.
    All the best,
    Campbell

Hi, Camsuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    Your thumb position in the photos will actually make it harder to fret this particular chord, I would highly recommend that the thumb be located behind the neck, somewhere near the centreline of the neck is ideal. The middle & ring fingers should also be leaning in the opposite direction to which you have illustrated, they need to be leaning towards the nut/headstock.
    I have never met any decent ukuele or guitar player who plays with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play except for you and kohanmike. And both of you repeat and repeat same posts against my pictures. Don't blame my thumb position again. right?
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Hi, Camsuke!

I have never met any decent ukuele or guitar player who plays with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play except for you and kohanmike. And both of you repeat and repeat same posts against my pictures. Don't blame my thumb position again. right?
    Why do you say this?
    All the best,
    Campbell

Camsuke. Don't blame my thumb position again. right?
    Kamaka HF-1 100

( I have never met any decent ukuele or guitar player who plays with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play except for you and kohanmike. And both of you repeat and repeat same posts against my pictures. Don't blame my thumb position again. right?[/QUOTE] )

Campbell, I think zztush is actually praising you for your great playing although you hold the uke differently than other players that he knows! I don't remember ever seeing you play in standing position. Perhaps zztush can clarify that! I would like to see that video! Please share.

Back to the topic, I think being able to fret with the thumb is a talent especially on a four strings narrow neck uke.
    Brenda

Thread Information