Using thumb to fret

One thing to mention in this regard is that a player shouldn't use the thumb out of necessity. While I have been attaining proficiency with the instrument I have been frustrated and I did some silly things to be able to play E major, C# major, and the B major chords. In each case, once I practiced more and more it became unnecessary to do these things and doing these things did nothing but delay my progress. So, as a novice player myself, I would say practice more and innovate less; there's a reason standard fingerings are standard. That being said, I see nothing wrong with using the thumb if it is merely a choice and if it speeds up the transitioning. However, in this case, I don't see the benefit. There is a lot of wasted motion going on, whereas with the standard fingerings, all you need to do is move one finger without changing the position of the palm and wrist.

Hi, Camsuke!

I just curious the person who can play with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play. I have never met such decent guitar player except for Camsuke and kohanmike. Don't blame my thumb location again. righrt?

Hi, Camsuke!

Your thumb position in the photos will actually make it harder to fret this particular chord, I would highly recommend that the thumb be located behind the neck, somewhere near the centreline of the neck is ideal. The middle & ring fingers should also be leaning in the opposite direction to which you have illustrated, they need to be leaning towards the nut/headstock.

I have never met any decent ukuele or guitar player who plays with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play except for you and kohanmike. And both of you repeat and repeat same posts against my pictures. Don't blame my thumb position again. right?

( I have never met any decent ukuele or guitar player who plays with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play except for you and kohanmike. And both of you repeat and repeat same posts against my pictures. Don't blame my thumb position again. right?[/QUOTE] )

Campbell, I think zztush is actually praising you for your great playing although you hold the uke differently than other players that he knows! I don't remember ever seeing you play in standing position. Perhaps zztush can clarify that! :D I would like to see that video! Please share.

Back to the topic, I think being able to fret with the thumb is a talent especially on a four strings narrow neck uke.

Just thinking about this thread this morning messing with my ukulele, and I wondered why fretting with the thumb sometimes is so bad. I tried it, and it is doable. And I was thinking that I fret a lot of chords in a lot of different ways, depending on where I'm going with it. I play the C with my pinkie sometimes, especially if I'm going to an F7 from there. I play the F with my middle and ring finger if I'm going to go up the neck with it. There's lots of different ways to fret a chord. So what exactly is wrong with adding another tool to the box? I started out saying that I wouldn't recommend it, but now I'm rethinking that. It isn't like you have to do it that way all the time.

This is a very good topic for a thread.
I always use my thumb when I make four finger diminished chords. That is the only time. The reason is because my pinkies are very small, compared to the rest of my fingers.
I blame it on genetics.

This is a very good topic for a thread.
I always use my thumb when I make four finger diminished chords. That is the only time.

Me too, such as Cdim7. I learned this from Glen Rose for playing jazz stuff. I can move the shape anywhere and it's very easy for me to form. That said, I have a big hand with long thumb and fingers.

Sounds nice Jose. I like you other videos on your YouTube channel. Great playing! :)

Hi, Lapyang! You don't need to feel guilty to use thumb to fret.

These are 4 important movable chords on ukulele.

People use thumbs for these chords.

Nothing to fret over
:rotfl:

One thing to mention in this regard is that a player shouldn't use the thumb out of necessity. While I have been attaining proficiency with the instrument I have been frustrated and I did some silly things to be able to play E major, C# major, and the B major chords. In each case, once I practiced more and more it became unnecessary to do these things and doing these things did nothing but delay my progress. So, as a novice player myself, I would say practice more and innovate less; there's a reason standard fingerings are standard. That being said, I see nothing wrong with using the thumb if it is merely a choice and if it speeds up the transitioning. However, in this case, I don't see the benefit. There is a lot of wasted motion going on, whereas with the standard fingerings, all you need to do is move one finger without changing the position of the palm and wrist.

I agree with riprock. Once you acquire a certain level of skill I think you will find that fretting with your thumb is not the best way to do it.

That being said, do whatever works for you. No two people are the same and part of the process is discovering what movements and positions you can use to your advantage. There are many ways to play and there is no one correct technique. If you can swing the 4th string thumb-fret maneuver and you are comfortable with it, no one is going to stop you from using it.

I am not sure of the tuning of the Cuatro in the video. I am sure it has varied tunings. The wikipedia indicates that one of its tunings is what ukulele players call D tuning, ADF#B. So if the instrument in the video is in D tuning, any ukulele player can copy the shapes and play this piece on a ukulele, using your thumb to fret as shown in the video.

That's correct! ADF#B is by far the most widespread tuning, so it's straightforward to adapt this technique.

You might try explaining that to Jorge Glem :)

With Jorge Glem and Jake, possibly the two top "Ukulele" players extant both using their thumbs, you certainly don't want to dismiss this technique, even if it doesn't suit you personally. But I'd emphasize two things in this discussion.

First, even if you prefer not to thumb fret, muting the 4th string can be very useful in some pieces; it's generally easier to do with your thumb.

Second, ZZ refers to the Standing Position. Obviously it's easier to use your thumb when you also have a strap, as is customary when standing. But strap use isn't confined to the Standing Position. From "Early Romantic Guitar":

Nearly every period guitar came with a strap button. In the early 19th century, classical guitarists often played using a strap. A period portrait of Giuliani depicts Giuliani playing the guitar standing up and wearing a strap; ...(but) the strap was also worn to help hold the guitar body in position, even while sitting.

We've always put a strap button on our instruments, in large part to make it easier for those who like to use their thumbs.

Last edited:
With Jorge Glem and Jake, possibly the two top "Ukulele" players extant both using their thumbs, you certainly don't want to dismiss this technique, even if it doesn't suit you personally. But I'd emphasize two things in this discussion.

First, even if you prefer not to thumb fret, muting the 4th string can be very useful in some pieces; it's generally easier to do with your thumb.

Second, ZZ refers to the Standing Position. Obviously it's easier to use your thumb when you also have a strap, as is customary when standing. But strap use isn't confined to the Standing Position. From "Early Romantic Guitar":

Nearly every period guitar came with a strap button. In the early 19th century, classical guitarists often played using a strap. A period portrait of Giuliani depicts Giuliani playing the guitar standing up and wearing a strap; ...(but) the strap was also worn to help hold the guitar body in position, even while sitting.

We've always put a strap button on our instruments, in large part to make it easier for those who like to use their thumbs.

In the case of Glem it's a bit different though. It isn't that he's getting away with using the thumb because he's a technical wizard. The use of the thumb is an established and accepted technique in the cuatro repertoire. It's the norm when it comes to the cuatro, which interestingly is an instrument traditionally played strapless.

Top Bottom