Off-scale ukes (long scales, short scales) luv’em

Doc_J

Reaction score
The week before last was an amazing week, taking delivery of two very special off-scale ukes. Arriving first was a long scale (18”) tenor by William King (circa 2013), and later arrived a new 19” scale Pohaku baritone from Peter Hurney. Below is a picture of them together (King tenor on the left, Pohaku baritone on the right). Both were on my ‘bucket list’. Despite similar sizes, they feel, respond and sound different. To give you a clue to the size difference of the LS King tenor from a regular tenor, there’s also a picture of it with my MBU. It's a bit bigger all around (body, scale length, neck width) with a 1.5" fretboard.

Took off the old strings on the King and put on new Worth BTs. Decided it sounded and felt very good in re-entrant Bb tuning, is particularly clear and bell-like in sound. My best description of the Pohaku baritone is that it's sound is like a modern, improved Favilla. More uniform tone, more clarity, more articulate notes but with similar excellent warmth. It has crazy long sustain & excellent resonance. The 19" scale makes the Aquila strings feel just a little slack from normal length bari’s, but it's an easy player. The fit and finish are immaculate.

I am delighted with each of these off-scale ukes.

Anybody else got some off-scale ukes they really enjoy?

2017-10-28 22.57.07 .
King & MBU , on Flickr

Hey Hodge, I have been exploring this theme practically since I started playing a little over a year ago. My first and only custom build was in fact a product of this exploration, and even it has led to further discoveries. I had David Ingalls, of Ono Ukuleles build me an 18" scale tenor with a wide nut width. I love the extra space both vertically and horizontally, especially for exploring chords up the neck. Also, since I often play with others, I use a capo more than I would otherwise. The neck at capo 2 on my Ono feels about like a 17" tenor with a 1 3/8" nut width.

The other thing I have been exploring is stringing shorter scaled ukuleles (17" & 18") DGBE, and stringing longer scales (18" and 19") GCEA. I love the fullness that a bigger bodied ukulele like your William King has when it is strung GCEA, and I am also liking the brightness and control on the low end I can get with a shorter scale strung DGBE.

The more I explore this magical little instrument, the more amazed I am by its versatility.

Very nice, Hodge! You really have some fantastic ukes and it is always fun to learn about what made its way into your very fine cache of instruments!

Regarding your question: Anybody else got some off-scale ukes they really enjoy?

I have a Josh Rieck torrefied spruce/quilted sapele 16" concert that I think is very special (strung linear). I previously had 16" Ono that was also super. For me, 16" might be the perfect scale length were I forced to pick one. And speaking of Ono, David has done a couple of 18" tenors now and has been very pleased with their outcome.

The Beau Hannam I'm getting is a 19" Selmer, so that will also be non-standard scale.

Last edited:
I have a couple of 18" scale tenors by Keith Ogata. After playing them, my normal 17" scale tenor almost feels like a concert.

I will say that the longer scale does can make for some interesting times with strings. The increased scale does add a bit of tension and balancing everything out can be a bit challenging at times, especially with linear tuning.

John

Here's the long and short of it for me:

I started with a Cordoba tenor, which run a bit small (more of a long-neck concert) and then I got a long-neck kamaka tenor (485mm scale). Now I am hooked and totally smitten. I have commissioned a custom uke to replace my Cordoba as my linear uke. I am having it made with the same scale as my kamaka...but with a cutaway! Those frets are addictive.

I've got a few different than normal looking ukes in my collection, though they have near standard scale lengths, it is nice to have something different, I think. ;)

I have a Tenor Scale, Concert Body by Pete Howlett. I'm enjoying it! It does have the most amazing, and powerful sound. Spruce top, walnut back and sides.
PA290066.jpg

Congratulations on two beautiful looking new additions to your stable of fine ukes. It is no wonder they sound as good as they look coming from two master builders.

Off-scale ukes that I have owned, Ono 16" concert, Ono 18" tenor, Kinnard 19" baritone and currently have an old beat up Gianinni 19" baritone. I have had that one at least two years and have enjoyed it tuned from DGBE all the way up to GCEA, big resonant sound and the 19" scale is a nice compromise.

Last edited:
Hey Hodge, I have been exploring this theme practically since I started playing a little over a year ago. My first and only custom build was in fact a product of this exploration, and even it has led to further discoveries. I had David Ingalls, of Ono Ukuleles build me an 18" scale tenor with a wide nut width. I love the extra space both vertically and horizontally, especially for exploring chords up the neck. Also, since I often play with others, I use a capo more than I would otherwise. The neck at capo 2 on my Ono feels about like a 17" tenor with a 1 3/8" nut width.

The other thing I have been exploring is stringing shorter scaled ukuleles (17" & 18") DGBE, and stringing longer scales (18" and 19") GCEA. I love the fullness that a bigger bodied ukulele like your William King has when it is strung GCEA, and I am also liking the brightness and control on the low end I can get with a shorter scale strung DGBE.

The more I explore this magical little instrument, the more amazed I am by its versatility.

I agree with the reentrant tuning can sound bigger and crisper on a longer scale.

https://app.box.com/s/6oahaqko9cztrgdwl2zaausvcoq232s6

BTW I still have that BP tenor (17" scale) strung/tuned DGBE. Something in the tone with baritone tuning on that shorter scale is very compelling, and very fun to play.

Forgot mention I also have a 21" scale bari. Seems I only 1 regular 20" scale bari. :eek:

I definitely prefer my longer scaled sopranos and concerts (15.5" KPK SLN and 16" Cocobolo super concert) and shorter scale baritone (19" Ono). UAS is currently under control but if there is a relapse, it will probably be for a long scale 19" "tenor"

I definitely prefer my longer scaled sopranos and concerts (15.5" KPK SLN and 16" Cocobolo super concert) and shorter scale baritone (19" Ono). UAS is currently under control but if there is a relapse, it will probably be for a long scale 19" "tenor"

Oh yea....I own a super soprano and a super concert, thanks for reminding me Jim.

I purchased a used large body William King cut-away tenor/adi top/Koa b/s. I believe he said it was 16 3/4" scale length on his site (wish it was still up- it was a great journal of his uke builds). Anyway to me it is the best sounding tenor uke I own and the sustain goes on forever and ever.

I definitely prefer my longer scaled sopranos and concerts...... UAS is currently under control but if there is a relapse, it will probably be for a.........

Damn all this talk of ukes...... my UAS was under control......... but I just came upon a KoAloha acacia long neck concert for sale again - I missed out last time - I dithered/dallied for too long, so I just now put it on order - bye bye pension, not going to let it slip from me this time. ;)

This will definately be my last uke purchase. :music:

Last edited:
Top Bottom