Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

Default Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

G'day all,

I decided on this theme for season 298 a few weeks ago, and today I read in the newspaper of the passing of Fats Domino, so the theme now has added relevance.

In 2005 my wife and I went on around the world trip, and one of the highlights for me was attending the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

We were only in the US to take in the festival, and so this week I am dedicating to New Orleans, and our visit to Jazzfest.

So this week there will be a 4 song limit.
    The first three songs can be submitted in any order, the themes which I will now outline.

Theme 1: Any song by any musician that comes from New Orleans, or lives in New Orleans, or has lived in New Orleans, or has recorded in New Orleans (it doesn’t matter if the song in your entry was recorded there or not, as long as they have recorded there).

Theme 2: Any song that mentions New Orleans, or Louisiana, or any other city or feature of Louisiana in the lyrics.
    Here is a wikipedia list for New Orleans
    Here is a forum about songs from Louisiana

Theme 3: Any song by any of the artists that appeared at Jazzfest in New Orleans in 2005. It is difficult to find a definitive list but I will list the artists that I know, or can remember from our visit, below the playlist

Song 4: can be submitted after you have submitted an entry from all of the first three themes, and can be a second song from any one of those themes.

Some songs will cross over between themes so please tell me which theme you are representing with each song

Now, I’m not an aficionado of New Orleans music, so I would appreciate a small explanation in the text, or the preamble of the video, if anything is a bit obscure. I would like to learn from this week, too.

All the usual rules apply regarding start times. Remember there is still a day to go for The Cloverdale Kid’s excellent season. I believe Europe ends Summer Time this weekend, (thanks, Paul) so the timing will be a little different for some.

A couple of things I didn’t mention in my introductory video, song writers are, of course, welcome to submit songs that they have penned.
    They can submit them on the topic of any festival, or concert, they have attended, and the artists they have seen, or the experience they have had, or perhaps write a song with cajun style. If that is too restrictive, PM me with any ideas relating to this weeks theme.

I won’t be providing any prizes this week, so all you are playing for is the joy of submitting songs for the Seasons.

I hope you all enjoy the week and that there are sufficient choices for your entries. Have Fun!

PLAYLIST Season 298 Walking to New Orleans here

Artists from 2005
    I saw about 16 of the artists listed below, and I’m surprised that some of the others listed were even there because I have no recollections of them at all. Never mind though, if anybody can find a definitive list of performers , please post it. One link I found led me to an incorrect list.

(There were many other artists as well as those below, but these are the major acts, and the ones I remember. I didn’t see all of these, by the way, it was just too much to take in everything)

Allen Toussaint
    B.B. King
    Barenaked Ladies
    Black Crowes
    Brian Wilson
    Buddy Guy
    Charlie Musselwhite
    Cowboy Mouth
    Dave Matthews Band
    Dixie Cups
    Dr. John
    Elvis Costello
    Eric Lindell
    G. Love & Special Sauce
    Irma Thomas
    Jack Johnson
    James Taylor
    John Butler Trio
    Los Lonely Boys
    Magnolia Sisters
    Meters
    Nelly,
    Neville Brothers
    Nickel Creek
    North Mississippi Allstars
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Radiators
    Randy Newman
    Snooks Eaglin
    Steve Riley and The Mamou Playboys
    Steve Winwood
    Susan Cowsill
    Susan Tedeschi
    Toots & The Maytals
    Wilco
    Last edited by Rustyy; 10-28-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    Russell
    from Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia

Great theme, Rusty, and a timely tribute.

By the way, I found this list online. It may help!

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2005...-4bd61f82.html
    Last edited by hendulele; 10-28-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Great idea for a theme, Rusty.

I've found this link for 2005: www.setlist.fm: New Orleans Jazz And Heritage Festival 2005. Hope this matches with your recollections.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Theme 2: Any song that mentions New Orleans, or Louisiana, or any other city or feature of Louisiana in the lyrics.
    Here is a wikipedia list for New Orleans
    Here is a forum about songs from Louisiana
    Did you mean to attach a link to these Rusty?

This is a wonderful theme. Hoping to get something in!
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Yes, thanks Paul. I did see this list and I think it is correct, but incomplete. We definitely saw James Taylor, and Jack Johnson. We did miss a day in the second week due to inclement weather, I can’t believe now I missed the chance to see Old Crow Medicine Show, although I probably hadn’t heard of them at the time. Also I can’t believe I didn’t go to see B.B. King. There must have been something good on one of the other stages. Oh well, you pay your money and you take your chance.

BTW anything from this list that I missed is certainly an acceptable entry.
    Last edited by Rustyy; 10-28-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    Did you mean to attach a link to these Rusty?

This is a wonderful theme. Hoping to get something in!
    Yikes, the links didn’t work because I just cut and pasted them. I’ll fix it now
    and I forgot to add the list of artists from 2005

and now ... all fixed, I hope
    Last edited by Rustyy; 10-28-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Russell

great theme! i've already learnt to how to pronounce it right (NOT like in house of the rising sun!) and i haven't even started working on a song! this is gonna be a super educational week

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    great theme! i've already learnt to how to pronounce it right (NOT like in house of the rising sun!) and i haven't even started working on a song! this is gonna be a super educational week
    Perhaps that is where I got my pronunciation education from, too, that and the Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyy View Post
    Perhaps that is where I got my pronunciation education from, too, that and the Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton
    Funny thing is, one song I want to do is from a New Orleans artist who pronounces it "wrong" (so that everything rhymes )
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

This song by Chris Ardoin and NuStep Zydeco is one of my favorite songs of this year. But I can't find the lyrics anywhere, and can't make out a few of them, so I won't be playing it.

Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information