Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

Something most of you wouldn't know about me--I am a native of New Orleans. I will bring it this week!
    Beware....

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    Something most of you wouldn't know about me--I am a native of New Orleans. I will bring it this week!
    Beware....
    I'm waiting, with anticipation...
    Russell
    from Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia

This is going to be a fun and (for me, at least) challenging theme, Russ. Thanks for all the useful links!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    This is going to be a fun and (for me, at least) challenging theme, Russ. Thanks for all the useful links!
    Don't forget there are songs like jambalaya, Cajun songs, Lucinda Williams has a heap that mention places in Louisiana, songs about Mardi Gras, songs about Lake Pontchatrain, some songs about hurricanes (1927).

Songs by Frankie Ford, Randy Newman, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Marcia Ball. I'd love to hear something by Cowboy Mouth, one of the most entertaining groups I saw
    Russell
    from Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia

Seasons Greeting Seasonistas

A song for Theme 2 .. Mention of New Orleans in this Song ...
    House of the Rising Sun , made famously known by "The Animals".
    This song has an interesting History, which I found out about last year when looking for information on the song, as I wanted to learn it on Guitar.
    I've done this version, performed using my Electric Soprano scale Uke, The Ukebird ...

If you desire, follow the Link, and have a read about the interesting history of this song ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_WFJVXYPWA

Thank You,
    and Happy Ukeing Folks
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 10-29-2017 at 03:52 AM.

My first song is for theme one.
    "I Hear You Knocking" (or "I Hear You Knockin'") is a rhythm and blues song written by Dave Bartholomew. New Orleans rhythm and blues singer Smiley Lewis first recorded the song in 1955. The lyrics tell of the return of a former lover who is rebuffed and Huey "Piano" Smith provided the prominent piano accompaniment in the style associated with Fats Domino.
    It was also certainly recorded by Fats Domino as well because i came across it in a Best Of Fats Domino collection..

And my second song is for theme 3.
    Toots and the Maytals were on your list/

Fats Domino song with a thick slice of harmonica. and a half a pound of foot thumping.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

The minute I saw The Black Crowes on the list for number 3 I knew I had to do this. Been meaning to try it for ages now, it's originally by Otis Redding but I know the Black Crowes version better. Otis played it in A# but I've gone with the key the Crowes played it in, B.

Really great theme Rusty
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Did this one a few years back,its an obvious choice but fits the bill.Its an instrumental version but I'm sure there will be some vocal versions submitted.

Thread Information