Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Mezcalero View Post
    Enjoyed learning this Steve Goodman tune about a train called the "City of New Orleans". Theme II ~ Song that mentions New Orleans

https://youtu.be/nBl102aVFqA

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4f3xkcv9i...leans.mp4?dl=0

Probably best known as an Arlo Guthrie song played on the piano, the author Steve Goodman has a very interesting story.
    Hi Kevin, just thought I would put this link up so your excellent version doesn't get overlooked

Russell
    from Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia

Some more comments. I've been able to catch my breath now...

Pabrizzer – Alligator Man – I have a few Jimmy C tracks on compilations , but not this one, although I do have it by Homesick James. It’s a good’un, Pa, and I like your treatment of it. Now I’m not sure what you’re going to do for the rest of the week. Does the grass need mowing?

BEV – Orleans – I’m not sure if this was like the Standstills version, or not, BEV, I haven’t heard it before. I enjoyed your attack on it though

Mezcalero – City of New Orleans – Lovely picking, and lovely singing, just so well done. Very Impressive.

Mythinformed - I Wanna be Like You - That was great fun, Mark. I didn’t know the song, or in fact, the original performer, but I was entertained all the way through (especially by the tear in your pants).

recovering bassist - New Orleans – When I saw this I thought “I don’t know any Gary U.S. Bonds songs, although I have heard of him”. Then the title “could be anything”. Then as soon as you started Trent, I was rocking along with you. I did know it after all. Great performance and great stamina.
    Russell

And, I've caught up with you. Please check the playlist to make sure I haven't overlooked anybody.

Keep them coming, I'm loving hat you have done so far...

Stanat20 - Mack the Knife – Stan, welcome back, and with a terrific entry, showing off some fine skills here. Thanks for rejoining.

BigDaddyUker - Johnny B Goode – Rocking along in a terrific rhythm here David. I hope you didn’t mind me joining in

LimousineLil - It Had to be You - Harry Connick slipped by me at Jazzfest, I must have been eating crawfish, I suppose. Very nicely done, Val. I can't believe how often Gus Kahn's name comes up in these old classics.

Rab11 - When we’re human - I have seen this film, Ryan, or been in the room when the grandkids were watching it. more like it.I don't recall this song, but i wasn't paying much attention. I like the way you really got into it, mouth trumpet and everything. Well done.

Harry122 - Robin Hood - I didn’t expect to hear a song about Robin Hood this week, that’s for sure. Second Louis Prima today, and, to my knowledge the second in my life. Seems like I might have been missing something. Great production and well performed, thanks Randy

The Ukelites - Such a Night - Steffan, Rick and Miri – Well, that has set the bar very high. Such a night, such a performance. I am so glad that you were able to get together this week and bring this to us here in Seasonista land.

Hendulele - Sea Cruise – A classic from Frankie Ford, thanks Rick. I mentioned earlier that he had enormous stage persona, and I saw him when he was probably about 70. Great to hear this song again, well done.

AllanDP- Bon Reve – I didn’t expect to hear anything from Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys this week Alan, so excellent bring. And exccellent performance, too. I love these cajun style songs. I mentioned earlier that the Fais-do-do was a real favourite on our visit to Jazzfest
    Russell

This is a Theme 3 Entry Rusty, sings by artists who appeared on the 2005 bill. According to Paul’s link, Brit jazz pianist Jamie Cullum was on the bill on Friday April 29. I don’t know much of Jamie’s music, but he presents a weekly jazz show here on R2, and if I happen to listen, it’s always interesting stuff, even if I’m not a hardcore jazz aficionado,and I like his presenting style. Also saw him play at a festival some years ago and he was really excellent live. I think, but I can’t confirm, that he doesn’t read a note of music. Anyway, he has played this song. Inspired by Ryan, I’ve gone all Disney too.

Theme 1 - Elvis Costello has recorded in New Orleans (as well as appearing at that 2005 festival), and has worked a lot over the years with Allen Toussaint, but this one is from a much earlier album, the one that really got me listening to him - This Year's Model.

www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

homemade song

more slide if you can bear it!!!!

oh baby (i'm coming to new orleans)

Theme 3 - Randy Newman appeared at the 2005 festival, and even did this song.

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyy View Post
    Hi Kevin, just thought I would put this link up so your excellent version doesn't get overlooked
    Thanks Rusty! I'm still having some trouble figuring out how to properly upload the video once it goes on Youtube. Normally, after I upload on youtube I copy the link and then paste it here. I guess I must be missing a step?

Quote Originally Posted by Mezcalero View Post
    Thanks Rusty! I'm still having some trouble figuring out how to properly upload the video once it goes on Youtube. Normally, after I upload on youtube I copy the link and then paste it here. I guess I must be missing a step?
    When you compose the message here in the forum, click on the little film icon (almost at the far right of the row of editing icons) and paste the link that YouTube gives you in there.

Ok, like adding a photo. Got it! Thanks Steve!

Thread Information