Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

For my 4th and final entry of this week I did this classic by Gary U.S. Bonds. I've always loved the crackling energy of this tune. Put this together quick, this was my 1st full take.

Mack the Knife recorded by Louis Armstrong who was born in New Orleans
Hope I dont get expelled this time

Last edited:

Hi Russ! Herewith, "It Had To Be You", which has been performed by Harry Connick Jnr., who was born in New Orleans. This is the long (very long!) version, including the verses, as provided by Ukester Brown. I always assumed that it was a song of love fulfilled, but the verses show that this is not the case - the adored one goes off and, apparently his/her return would not be welcomed. (Hence the photo of the loved one disappearing out of the photo.) The lyrics are more than somewhat dated ... if anyone told me that "with all your faults I love you still", I think I'd probably hit them!

Randy Newman has written some great stuff for Disney. This is from the film The Princess and the Frog which came out a few years ago and is set in 1920s New Orleans. As such, it has a great jazzy soundtrack and this is my favourite song from it.

It's sung by a trumpet-playing Alligator named Luis who wants to play jazz without scaring the crowds off, and two people who've been turned into frogs, one a free-loading, uke-jamming Prince, the other a poor waitress working hard to try and save up for her own restaurant.

Finally found some sheet music for it but even this is a bit simplified from what I got. Had a lot of fun playing it even if my fretting hand/wrist is killing me now. I also discovered the magical world of diminished chords!

If anyone can point me somewhere that would help me play this sort of stuff properly I'd be very grateful.

(This is for Theme 2 Russ)

I gotta use Louis Prima for my Theme 1 entry. I picked a fairly obscure song he wrote, added some electric uke and this is what came out!

Someone actually asked me to sing more songs in French, for some reason.:D

So here's one for rule #3. Below the video are the original lyrics that I was trying to sing, and below that is an English translation that I found on a discussion forum (by a human, not an online translator). This is a very simplified and shortened cover.

If it wasn't for the instrumental break that uses a V chord, this would be a one-chord song. The first thing that attracted me to this song was that it started with something about chickens. "Poulet" being one of the few French words that I recognize immediately, for some reason.

Les poulets grattent, en arrière
L'archet ça gratte sur les cordes
La terre si platte, soleil couché
Le jour fini, chansons levées

Chorus:
Ça c'est tout c'est les nouvelles
Les nouvelles ce soir
Bon dieu, bon rêve chère canray
Bon rêve

Travailler c'est dure et ça donne soir
Mais le whiskey sa fait tout ça s'en aller
Grand sourire, sourire de râtelier
Et dans la bouche la vérité

The chickens scratch out back
The bow scratches upon the strings
The earth reclines, sun sleeps
Day is done, our songs we lift up

Chorus:
That is all that is new
That's new tonight
Good God, sweet dreams dear canary
Sweet dreams

Working is hard and it is evening
But the whiskey changes everything in us
Big smiles, smiles throughout
And in the mouth it is truth

I think those last two lines may be idiomatic, and perhaps a better way to say it would be:
Big smiles, big toothy smiles
And in the smile is the truth

But of course I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Some more comments. I've been able to catch my breath now...

Pabrizzer – Alligator Man – I have a few Jimmy C tracks on compilations , but not this one, although I do have it by Homesick James. It’s a good’un, Pa, and I like your treatment of it. Now I’m not sure what you’re going to do for the rest of the week. Does the grass need mowing?

BEV – Orleans – I’m not sure if this was like the Standstills version, or not, BEV, I haven’t heard it before. I enjoyed your attack on it though

Mezcalero – City of New Orleans – Lovely picking, and lovely singing, just so well done. Very Impressive.

Mythinformed - I Wanna be Like You - That was great fun, Mark. I didn’t know the song, or in fact, the original performer, but I was entertained all the way through (especially by the tear in your pants).

recovering bassist - New Orleans – When I saw this I thought “I don’t know any Gary U.S. Bonds songs, although I have heard of him”. Then the title “could be anything”. Then as soon as you started Trent, I was rocking along with you. I did know it after all. Great performance and great stamina.

And, I've caught up with you. Please check the playlist to make sure I haven't overlooked anybody.

Keep them coming, I'm loving hat you have done so far...

Stanat20 - Mack the Knife – Stan, welcome back, and with a terrific entry, showing off some fine skills here. Thanks for rejoining.

BigDaddyUker - Johnny B Goode – Rocking along in a terrific rhythm here David. I hope you didn’t mind me joining in

LimousineLil - It Had to be You - Harry Connick slipped by me at Jazzfest, I must have been eating crawfish, I suppose. Very nicely done, Val. I can't believe how often Gus Kahn's name comes up in these old classics.

Rab11 - When we’re human - I have seen this film, Ryan, or been in the room when the grandkids were watching it. more like it.I don't recall this song, but i wasn't paying much attention. I like the way you really got into it, mouth trumpet and everything. Well done.

Harry122 - Robin Hood - I didn’t expect to hear a song about Robin Hood this week, that’s for sure. Second Louis Prima today, and, to my knowledge the second in my life. Seems like I might have been missing something. Great production and well performed, thanks Randy

The Ukelites - Such a Night - Steffan, Rick and Miri – Well, that has set the bar very high. Such a night, such a performance. I am so glad that you were able to get together this week and bring this to us here in Seasonista land.

Hendulele - Sea Cruise – A classic from Frankie Ford, thanks Rick. I mentioned earlier that he had enormous stage persona, and I saw him when he was probably about 70. Great to hear this song again, well done.

AllanDP- Bon Reve – I didn’t expect to hear anything from Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys this week Alan, so excellent bring. And exccellent performance, too. I love these cajun style songs. I mentioned earlier that the Fais-do-do was a real favourite on our visit to Jazzfest

This is a Theme 3 Entry Rusty, sings by artists who appeared on the 2005 bill. According to Paul’s link, Brit jazz pianist Jamie Cullum was on the bill on Friday April 29. I don’t know much of Jamie’s music, but he presents a weekly jazz show here on R2, and if I happen to listen, it’s always interesting stuff, even if I’m not a hardcore jazz aficionado,and I like his presenting style. Also saw him play at a festival some years ago and he was really excellent live. I think, but I can’t confirm, that he doesn’t read a note of music. Anyway, he has played this song. Inspired by Ryan, I’ve gone all Disney too.

Theme 1 - Elvis Costello has recorded in New Orleans (as well as appearing at that 2005 festival), and has worked a lot over the years with Allen Toussaint, but this one is from a much earlier album, the one that really got me listening to him - This Year's Model.

Theme 3 - Randy Newman appeared at the 2005 festival, and even did this song.

Hi Kevin, just thought I would put this link up so your excellent version doesn't get overlooked

Thanks Rusty! I'm still having some trouble figuring out how to properly upload the video once it goes on Youtube. Normally, after I upload on youtube I copy the link and then paste it here. I guess I must be missing a step?

Thanks Rusty! I'm still having some trouble figuring out how to properly upload the video once it goes on Youtube. Normally, after I upload on youtube I copy the link and then paste it here. I guess I must be missing a step?

When you compose the message here in the forum, click on the little film icon (almost at the far right of the row of editing icons) and paste the link that YouTube gives you in there.

Top Bottom