Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

Fever on the Bayou

So, Rusty, this song uses one pronunciation of bayou and also Louisiana, and there are other - also correct - pronunciations. It depends partly on where you learned the words, or where you grew up, and partly what you are trying to rhyme. The pronunciations here are my preferred ones, as they seem to be the most common in northern Louisiana, near my home area. (your pronunciation of New Orleans is the way I learned it, as well, but ore-leens was not uncommon to hear growing up, partly because it is so easy to rhyme and is in songs that way) > > Theme 2 < <

Last edited:
Randy Newman wrote this song about the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927. This would be for Theme 2.

I think this will work for rule #2. This has probably been recorded by a lot of different people, but I went with the Jimmy C. Newman version to learn it by. A little melodica added at the end. By the way, Jimmy Newman's real middle name was Yves. The "C" stood for "Cajun." It was like a nickname initial. Both of the songs mentioned in the chorus, "Big Mamou" and "Jolie Blon," I have covered for previous seasons.

Last edited:
Pretty sure my head just exploded. I started playing music on the Accordion in my 20's, and a great deal of my favorite music on that particular maligned instrument comes from Louisiana, but my ability to speak french and play both my accordion and ukulele all at once is staggeringly bad. Believe me, I have tried.
My Cousin Louis is Louisiana royalty...
But my favorite connection, and you said you wanted to learn something here, is between NOLA R&B and Jamaica. Ska music was the popular form around the time of JA independence, and it is a fusion of rural styles (Mento), Calypso, Jazz, and without a doubt NOLA R&B that was drifting in on AM radios and being heard by the dock workers and most importantly, the kids at the Alpha School for Boys who would later become the foundation of Jamaican music. That is VERY simplified...I don't want to bore you with all the particulars, but it could be said that Jamaican music would not exist if it were not for Fats Domino.
My favorite direct copy of a NOLA R&B tune is this one from Prince Buster if you have the time. It is a cover of a Huey "Piano" Smith song, and is about the best thing ever to me.

Now to pick a few to play. After I pick my brains up off the ground. Timely tribute sir- well played!

298-Theme 1 repeat.

Pete Fountain, clarinet player, played this song and it's on youtube.

My now ex-wife is from New Orleans and when we went there in 198? I was introduced to my wife's uncle who played in Pete Fountain's band. At the time I didn't know how cool that was. I was a young and narrow minded about music.

I kick myself now for not insisting on getting to see them play.

I love a clarinet nowadays because it goes so well with a dixieland banjo.

This was written by Elvis Costello and Jim Lauderdale, and has been recorded by them both as well. I'm a huge Lauderdale fan, and put a version of this on the Island awhile back, but re-recorded for this week because Elvis Costello appeared at the 2005 New Orleans Jazzfest.

Just realised I'd cited the same link as hendulele. However, thanks to the magic of the wayback machine, I've discovered there were 500+ (!!!!) performers at the 2005 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.
You can find each day's lineups here: New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival: Schedule 2005.

You mentioned the Wayback Machine, and I didn't know what you were talking about . I get it now. Thank you for the info.

Last edited:
Theme 3: Brian Wilson played the 2005 festival, so here's the Beach Boys! Sing along where appropriate. I tried to get Rani to join me ...

Got the season # wrong in the intro. Sorry about that!

I can't believe I am so far behind already. Up till now I have been adding the songs to the palylist as I comment, But I think i will have to add them in advance because I know many of you use the playlist to peruse the entries.
Here is my first batch of comments:

Dean Beaver – House of the Rising Sun – Of course I expected this song, and what a great version you have played for us. Loved the instrumentals, and the little smile of satisfaction at the very end. I first heard this by the animals as you said, but it was also on the first Bob Dylan record which I bought soon after the Animals release. Great start to the season.

pabrizzer – I Hear You Knocking - Pa, i don't know if you remember when you visited here, I mentioned a show on 3RRR on Saturday morning called "Off the Record". Well, the host, last Saturday, was playing tributes to Fats, and mentioned Dave Bartholomew many times in the tribute, talking about how they wrote songs together, although Fats didn’t write this one. Great version by you.

pabrizzer – Peace Perfect Peace- It’s gonna take me forever to get through these songs because I have to go back and watch the originals as well. What a nice song Pa, greta sentiments, and great delivery on your behalf. I missed toots at Jazzfest, along with many others, which was a shame, because I had purchased an LP of his way back in the late 70s

wee-ging-yin - another mule- Rob, this is one I have not heard before, and after listening to yours, and Fats’ version, I’m surprised I haven’t run across it, You’ve given it a bit of a different treatment, which I enjoyed. I didn’t catch those last couple of words on the vid tho.

RAB11 – Hard to Handle – Neat work, Ryan, I loved your chording and your instrumentals on this one. I just caught the end of the Black Crowes at Jazzfest. I wasn’t too familiar with them, I know my daughter liked them at the time, altho she wasn’t with us. I reckon if I had been my daughter’s age they’d have been right up my alley

Stanat20 – Dixieland Ukulele - Very nicely played Stan. The fact that it is a couple of years old means I can’t accept it for this season because we only accept songs recorded especially for this week, but that doesn’t detract from the lovely playing.

OK spending my 4th and last song on a Jimmy C Newman song (thanks for the intro Trent).
Here's a link to the original which mine is nothing like Rusty.
Not sure where it fits but he came from Louisiana and was a regular on the Louisiana Hayride TV show and the Grand ol Opry.

we get a few 'reality' TV shows about alligator hunters around the Mississippi delta here in Australia.

I would like a bit of clarification/help:

"Theme 1: Any song by any musician that comes from New Orleans, or lives in New Orleans, or has lived in New Orleans, or has recorded in New Orleans (it doesnÂ’t matter if the song in your entry was recorded there or not, as long as they have recorded there)."

New Orleans artists open up for a lot of nice jazz tunes. As a lot of jazz tunes are standards, covered by a gazillion different artists, that would probably mean that all standard jazz tunes ever written has been covered by a New Orleans jazz artist at some point. I am sure that applying the Thornton rule, any jazz standard will hence do, but I assume that the intended/best fit for the theme would be a song written by a new Orleans artist, or originally recorded by one?

Which leads to the next question:
Does anybody have a link to some lists of jazz standards originating in New Orleans?
My googling has so far tought me that Louis Armstrong was from New Orleans and has written 50 songs, but I can't even find a list of those songs.

I am not too fussed about the origins of the song, but it makes a nice story if you can relate it all back to new orleans

Here is a link I found, I hope it helps http://cjam.lassecollin.se/

I’ve spent a few hours looking at these this morning, and I’m going to have to have a meal break before I pass out. Here’s some more comments

Hendulele – go to the Mardi Gras – Professor Longhair seems to have been one of those people that everybody talks about, but he was seldom able to get into the limelight himself, yet everybody admired him. His early demise didn’t help, of course. Thanks for bringing this Rick, and the background of his musical life

Hendulele – Jambalaya – Rick, I was playing along with this. It had to be done, didn’t it, and I liked your strum pattern . Only two chords, but a song known all over the world despite it’s relatively small base

Jazzbanjorex – Don’t Get around Much Anymore – And a lovely sounding, and looking, pineapple it is Rex. I didn’t get to see Harry at Jazzfest. I do like the old jazz standards, but I’ve never really gone looking for them. You have, of course, played and sung this with your usual aplomb.

Jazzbanjorex – Way Down Yonder in New Orleans – This was a real treat, Rex, I loved your singing on this and your playing was terrific. You captured the whole feel of the song, and the feel of NO as well. Magnifique.

Jazzbanjorex – Wow, Rex, I sure picked a good theme for you. All these performances are top notch. I had heard a lot about Dr John before I saw him at Jazzfest, but I had never seen him. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but for some reason it wasn’t what I saw. He gave a brill performance tho, and me and the missus both enjoyed his show

AlanDP – A Certain Girl – And, likewise, I thought it was a Warren Zevon song, too, although something is nagging me in the back of my head about the Allen Toussaint connection. I managed to see both Frankie Ford and Allen Toussaint in 2005. Both memorable, Frankie seemed to have the audience in the palm of his hand. Great version here Alan, and the whistling was terrific.

wee-ging-yin – Study the War no More – I really enjoyed this one, Rob. Your treatment of it was fun and poignant. As a child I remember it on the radio as “Down By The Riverside”, and for some reason it seemed to be played a lot, even out here in Oz. I am not sure which category this one should be under, I’m sure it suits Theme 1, but then so did your last one.

Anyone this side of the pond ever had any luck accessing ukulele-tabs.com? It's the only place I can find chords/tabs for a particular song but it's saying the content is blocked in my country, same as every tab on there.

So if any fellow UK Seasonistas know a way around it, please let me know, or if someone who can access it can grab the chords for me that'd be really appreciated!

Anyone this side of the pond ever had any luck accessing ukulele-tabs.com? It's the only place I can find chords/tabs for a particular song but it's saying the content is blocked in my country, same as every tab on there.

So if any fellow UK Seasonistas know a way around it, please let me know, or if someone who can access it can grab the chords for me that'd be really appreciated!

What's the song mate? One of us might be able to work out the chords for it if you're struggling.

OK, I'm gradually getting there as you guys slow down a bit after the initial flourish..

Recovering Bassist – Sea Cruise – Oo-wee Baby, that’s what I’m talking about. Yes, Frankie Ford was a higlight for me at jazzfest, and as I said earlier, he had the audience in the palm of his hand, just like I was in yours. Thanks Trent

Recovering Bassist - Louisiana Love – I love a bit of Jimmy C, Trent, and, althoguh I hadn’t heard this before it has that feel about it. I loved your little call at the end, typical Jimmy C.

dickadcock – Fever on the Bayou – Hey Dick, this is a great song, and one I didn’t know. I did buy the first and second Rodney Crowell albums, but he seems to have slipped by me a bit since then. There are heaps of references to Louisiana, and things common to Louisiana. Liked it a lot, and I’m going to follow it up later. Great choice, great delivery

Harry122 – Louisiana 1927 – This is a stunning song, isn’t it Randy. I’m so glad you bought this along, I did give it a brief mention in an earlier post hoping someone would take it up. You are a big fan of Randy Newman too, so the choice was obvious. I also have a version by Aaron Neville.
At Jazzfest in 2005, and this was just before Katrina, Marcia Ball did a terrific version in her set, and wondered aloud if it was being a bit cheeky, because Randy was following her on stage. Both versions were terrific, and after Katrina hit I played it many times back here at home.
Your version was excellent.

AlanDP – Down on the Bayou – I have a great big smile on my face after this one Alan. Thank you for the info about his name, I love learning that stuff. You gave the characteristic Jimmy C call in the song, too. Lots of Louisiana references as well. I remember the Fais do do stage was my favourite of the smaller stages at jazzfest.

Jazzbanjorex – Crazy – Another beauty from you, Rex. I just went and listened to Pete Fountain’s version and it is stunning. Thanks for introducing him to me. It’s a classic song, and you did it justice, that’s for sure

Tootler – City of New Orleans – Geoff, it had be done, and you’ve done a great job, pulling out your 6 string, and going for it. One of my main memories from the Woodstock days was Arlo singing this one

Recovering Bassist - I Lost You – damn, I missed Elvis Costello at Jazzfest, too. I dunno what I did with my time there, (but the Crawfish Monica and Fosters comes to mind). I have only heard a couple of Jim’s songs, and probably only earleir Costello stuff. I like your reading of this and always enjoy your bopping while you play, and the fiddley little bits that I’d give my right hand to play (of course, then I wouldn’t be able to).

Pabrizzer - You Can See the Curve of the Earth on Pontchatrain – I did enjoy this Pa, a great groove going there. I’d love to know where you got your inspiration for this one, probably Google I suppose. Anyway, it was just what I had in mind for originals this week

Hendulele - Fun Fun Fun – Brian Wilson and his band had everybody on their feet and dancing at Jazzfest in 2005. My wife’s favourite act. The wind was blowing into his face, and it was making his nose and eyes run, and he couldn’t stop playing, so his sleeve was well used by the end of the set. They eventually bought out some sunglasses for him. Hawaii was my favourite song that he did. Thanks for bringing this, and bringing back my memories Rick.

What's the song mate? One of us might be able to work out the chords for it if you're struggling.

I'll send you a PM mate. Seems to be a fairly simple jazz progression but I haven't got an ear for these things.

EDIT: Hold that thought. Found it

Last edited:
Great theme Russ . The great Louis Prima came from New Orleans. (Psssssssssst sorry about the exposed ripped crotch on my work jeans, t'was bigger than I thought but be rest assured theres nothing to see here.......move along .) :eek:

Top Bottom