Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

Summertime was covered by a musician called Sidney Bechet , a jazz sax soloist back in the day and was born in New Orleans. I won't attempt to make sax noise unless you really want to see a middle aged bloke dribbling as raspberry noises come out. :stop:

There are two different unrelated songs with this same title. The oldest is a song that has a murkier and more traditional origin. The definitive version of this song was recorded by Leo Soileau and Mayuse Lafleur, and is one of the most covered and recorded songs in Cajun music.

Harry Choates (originally Choate, but at some point he added an "s") was from the tiny town of Cow Island, in the far south of Louisiana near the Gulf Coast. He learned to play fiddle at an early age and also sang. When he was still young, his family moved to Port Arthur, Texas, and he was exposed to country music and Texas swing. He began performing with his fiddle for money when he was only 12 years old. He came to be known as The Fiddle King of Cajun Swing.

Choates took the original song "Basile Waltz" and changed some of the words, as often happens with these old songs, the biggest change being that he used the town of Mamou instead of Basile and renamed the song Gran Mamou. Jimmy C. Newman later recorded a bilingual version of this song, titled "Big Mamou." By the way, Mamou is where Newman was really from. I covered Newman's version of "Big Mamou" in a previous season.

All versions, pure Cajun French or bilingual, regardless of which town was used, have the same theme and similar lyrics: the singer is pleading with the woman he loves to come back with him to his small home town where they can live happily ever after.

But as for this song which I chose to cover: Choates also used the music from the song "Tit Maurice," recorded by Happy Fats and Doc Guidry, and wrote entirely new lyrics for it, this time using the town of Basile, and called it "Basile Waltz" even though there was already a song by this title. Choates' version of "Basile Waltz" has a similar theme, except that in this case, the singer is asking his old lover, if she wants to have a good time, to come join him Saturday night in Gran Basile.

Choates' "Basile Waltz" has a second stanza that I didn't sing because I used the Jimmy Newman version to learn it by. Newman's version deletes the second stanza and just repeats the first stanza and chorus after an instrumental break. Newman's version uses accordions, while Choates used fiddles.

Harry Choates was also notable for recording an all-English version of "Jole Blon" in the key of G. Traditionally, it is done in the key of A.

Choates had an alcohol problem and led a rough life. He was imprisoned for failure to make child support payments and while in jail, repeatedly banged his head against the bars until he fell unconscious. He lapsed into a coma and died soon after at the age of only 28 in 1951.

Jimmy Newman had a long and very successful career, starting out singing Cajun songs mostly in French or in bilingual versions, and later turning to more straight-ahead country music in English. He died in 2014 at the age of 86.

C'est nous autre, ouais qu'est si joyeux
C'est nous autre qui aime autant mais la musique
Si vous voulez, ouais mais s'amuser
Venez nous r'joindre le samedi soir à Gran Basile

Oh, Chérie tu m'fais pitié
Ça t'as fait avec moi y'a pas longtemps
Si vous voulez, ouais mais s'amuser
Venez nous r'joindre le samedi soir à Gran Basile

That's us, yes, so joyful,
We are the ones who love the music
If you want, yes, to have a good time,
Come join us Saturday night in Grand Basile.

Oh, honey, you make me pitiful,
You did it with me long ago
If you want, yes, to have a good time,
Come join us Saturday night in Grand Basile.

Information gathered from Early Cajun Music.

an improvised recording joo and i made this afternoon
inspired by New Orleans born photographer E.J.Bellocq

TCK's comment on my Prof. Longhair cover must have triggered the YouTube algorithm to find Professor Longhair on video. I had no idea so many were out there, esp. taken in the last few years he was around. Here's "Tipitina," which has the good professor in a quiet moment, for him.

Have always loved this beautiful Sidney Bechet tune. Only found out there were words too this week.

I should ad, this is a Theme 1 tune as Bechet was born in New Orleans. I wish I could add the same kind of fascinating history as Alan has done with his Harry Choates story. I know very little about Sidney Bechet I’m afraid.

Last edited:
Round about 1790 a broadside ballad called "The Buck's Elegy" was published in London. It told of a young man who lay dying as a result of an "encounter" with a young woman. One of the features of this song was the request for a funeral in military style with his comrades and various young women following the hearse. It was taken up and republished many times by other broadside printers with the young man being variously a soldier or a sailor or sometimes a young woman. The songs became collectively known as "The Unfortunate Rake". It made its way across the Atlantic at some point and the young man became a cowboy who was dying of gunshot wounds (The Streets of Laredo) and somewhere along the line it made it's way down the Mississippi to Louisiana and, in the process, the tune changed from major to minor key to become a classic minor key blues. One of the early versions of the Unfortunate Rake referred to a St. James Hospital in London. Hence we get a song that's been sung by many, many Jazz and Blues musicians. For me, one of the finest versions was a recording by Louis Armstrong. Here he is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcpUdBw7gs I think this might be a fairly recent recording as it's in stereo but it's truly magnificent.

Here's my effort.

Edit to add. I found an early version from 1928. Brisker tempo but still fabulous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbRV5d7TeY

Last edited:

Hi Russ! This song comes under the category of songs which mentioned New Orleans. The composer, Jerry Jeff Walker, based it on a real-life encounter with a street performer whom he met in a New Orleans jail. This homeless man, who had been arrested as part of a police sweep following a high-profile murder, called himself "Mr. Bojangles" to conceal his true identity from the police, and, having told the story about his dog, lightened the mood by performing a tap dance.

Last edited:
I had a day off yesterday, but back into it today. Here's the latest comments

One Man and his Uke - Everybody Wants To be a Cat – I have just been reading up about Jamie Cullum. It seems he was riding the crest of a wave in 2005, after being on Parkinson in 2003 and building from there. I didn’t see him at Jazzfest in 2005, not having heard of him wouldn’t have helped. He still seems to be playing big gigs. Thanks for bringing this John, I enjoyed it, even though I don’t really want to be a cat, unless I was a cool one.

YorkSteve - This Year's Girl – Classy submission, Steve, I like this a lot. I bought the first Elvis Costello album, and really enjoyed it. I’m not sure why I didn’t follow up with the 2nd. I think he got into a bit of trouble for something he said to Ray Charles? at some stage, and maybe I went off him for that, although I’m not really sure of the true story. Having read his book, maybe you know?
Then again I did get his 3rd album. Maybe I just couldn’t afford it at the time.

BirdsEyeView - Oh Baby (I’m Coming to New Orleans) - I often come across cigar-box guitars at the markets around town, but I am yet to see a cigar-box uke. This is probably a good thing because I may well be tempted. Well played Bev, the slide is working well.

YorkSteve - You've Got a Friend In Me – Randy Newman has written a lot of movie scores, hasn’t he. My kids were too old for Toy Story, so I missed that period. I love a lot of Randy’s work, and I’m loving your contributions to this week too, Steve. Sounds like you have to do this every day next year. It’s a big challenge. I wish you luck with it.

Mythinformed – Summertime – A classic song from Porgy and Bess, I’m not sure which category this fits, apart from the first, but that’s OK. I’m sure somebody from the artist list has recorded this over the years. Thanks Mark, for a touching rendition.

Round about 1790 a broadside ballad called "The Buck's Elegy" was published in London. It told of a young man who lay dying as a result of an "encounter" with a young woman. One of the features of this song was the request for a funeral in military style with his comrades and various young women following the hearse. It was taken up and republished many times by other broadside printers with the young man being variously a soldier or a sailor or sometimes a young woman. The songs became collectively known as "The Unfortunate Rake". It made its way across the Atlantic at some point and the young man became a cowboy who was dying of gunshot wounds (The Streets of Laredo) and somewhere along the line it made it's way down the Mississippi to Louisiana and, in the process, the tune changed from major to minor key to become a classic minor key blues. One of the early versions of the Unfortunate Rake referred to a St. James Hospital in London. Hence we get a song that's been sung by many, many Jazz and Blues musicians. For me, one of the finest versions was a recording by Louis Armstrong. Here he is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcpUdBw7gs I think this might be a fairly recent recording as it's in stereo but it's truly magnificent.

Here's my effort.

Edit to add. I found an early version from 1928. Brisker tempo but still fabulous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbRV5d7TeY

Sorry, Geoff - and much as I hate to revisit the controversies of Season 265! - but I don't think there's any evidence that this song does derive from "The Buck's Elegy" (I'm hoping Ryan and Steve will back me up on this!). As I said back then, this is a song with one of the most mysterious provenances ever.
Incidentally, here's the earliest recorded version, "Gambler's Blues", from 1927, recorded by Fess Williams and his 'Royal Flush' Orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnrT2U_pA0k

Aaaand ... caught up again.

Xommen - The Saints are Coming – Wim, I was wondering where you were this week. An homage to the New Orleans area after the damage caused by Hurricane Katrina, which occurred 4 months after our visit for Jazzfest. I remember looking at the Google map overlays, and seeing where our accommodation was under water, and the damage to the Fairgrounds on the TV news. Nicely played, and a timely entry regarding our visit.

AllanDP - Basile Waltz – I was familiar with Jimmy C’s Big Mamou, but your story on this one was intriguing. I said I wanted to learn something this week, and you are providing it. I think you did last time I hosted, as well. I do love the cajun sound, and I like the lack of polish in the presentation of the words, meaning anyone can have a go at it. Excellent.

two little woodpeckers - Bellocq’s Rag - Another side of New Orleans, and another bit of education for me. Thank you for doing this Jon and Joo. What beautiful playing. Superb. I was sure you put another one up, Jon, but it seems to have disappeared.

one man and his uke -Petite Fleur – Lovely interpretation, John, especially loved the intro. I could have been on Pont Neuf. This is the second mention of Sidney Bechet I’ve seen today.

Tootler - St James Infirmary Blues – Fine job on this with the harp as well, Geoff, and you’ve pulled out the Bruko (I think) as well. It always sounds so good.

LimousinLil - Mr Bojangles – Yes Val, a classic song from Ronald Clyde Crosby, a.k.a. Jerry Jeff, but wow, released in 1968. Hard to believe it was so long ago. I think my first hearing was the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but as you say, many people have had a go at it.

Sorry, Geoff - and much as I hate to revisit the controversies of Season 265! - but I don't think there's any evidence that this song does derive from "The Buck's Elegy" (I'm hoping Ryan and Steve will back me up on this!). As I said back then, this is a song with one of the most mysterious provenances ever.
Incidentally, here's the earliest recorded version, "Gambler's Blues", from 1927, recorded by Fess Williams and his 'Royal Flush' Orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnrT2U_pA0k

I'm pretty sure that book did show a link to the Unfortunate Rake though, even if only fleeting. Certainly takes more from Gamblers Blues though

Edit: that Louis Armstrong recording from 1928 in Geoff's post is outstanding. So much going on in just a 3 minute track. When I was reading the book Paul mentions I did have a listen to other recording you posted Geoff, but I think I prefer the '28 version

Last edited:
Hey now.. Hey now..

I present my rendition of Iko Iko. There's several Native American words in the song. Notably and repeatedly JAHkomo... Somehow, in my rendition, Jakomo became Jokomo,,,

Leonard Cohen song about New Orleans
First recording using the OTG connector between
Samsung smartphone and Samson GO microphone.
No hiss and no extraneous noises. Definitely better audio quality

“Samson in New Orleans” is a reworking of the biblical tale through
life in New Orleans post-Katrina, and examines the heartbreak and
range of emotions the region has gone through.

Last edited:
The lead singer of the Cat Empire gave an interview when the album "Steal the Light" came out saying that the whole album was inspired by a trip to New Orleans Jazzfest, which inspired him to stay there for a few months. This is the title track of that album, and although it doesn't specifically mention New Orleans, the vibe is definitely reminiscent of New Orleans. Anyway, hopefully this passes the sniff test.

Also sorry that I didn't quite hit the high notes cleanly. Some days I hit them better than others.

Basin Street Blues (1928) by Spencer Williams. This song covers themes 1 and 2.

So this is the kind of week that kicks you in the butt over here, but I wanted to at least get one song in, so here’s a quickly done Fats Domino song.

I don't know if you saw Toots and the Maytals at Jazzfest, Rus, but I'm sure they played this classic.

Top Bottom