Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

Pretty sure my head just exploded. I started playing music on the Accordion in my 20's, and a great deal of my favorite music on that particular maligned instrument comes from Louisiana, but my ability to speak french and play both my accordion and ukulele all at once is staggeringly bad. Believe me, I have tried.
My Cousin Louis is Louisiana royalty...
But my favorite connection, and you said you wanted to learn something here, is between NOLA R&B and Jamaica. Ska music was the popular form around the time of JA independence, and it is a fusion of rural styles (Mento), Calypso, Jazz, and without a doubt NOLA R&B that was drifting in on AM radios and being heard by the dock workers and most importantly, the kids at the Alpha School for Boys who would later become the foundation of Jamaican music. That is VERY simplified...I don't want to bore you with all the particulars, but it could be said that Jamaican music would not exist if it were not for Fats Domino.
My favorite direct copy of a NOLA R&B tune is this one from Prince Buster if you have the time. It is a cover of a Huey "Piano" Smith song, and is about the best thing ever to me.

Now to pick a few to play. After I pick my brains up off the ground. Timely tribute sir- well played!

Merci for sharing this. Really great stuff!

Wow, it doesn't pay to have a day off. catching up now, but now have to go out again. So we've got about 30 hours to go for this season, and Fred's is under way in 7 . Keep firing them in...

Two Little Woodpeckers – Mandy, Make Up Your Mind - John and Joo, this is a terrific cover. I haven't heard it before, and I'm going to follow it up right now. The way you put your songs together is very fine indeed, and always a pleasure to view. Sidney Bichet, again, I need to follow up a lot of his stuff, He's getting a lot of mentions.

Wee-ginga-yin - Ain’t Misbehaving – You have played this one beautifully, Rob. A fine tributr to New Orleans Week

Tootler - Midnight Special – A nice stirring rendition, Geoff, which, as you say, has been recorded by many artists. Nice to see it pop up here, from an unlikely source, I must say. Good one!

LimousinLil - Short People – Well played, Val, I think you gave it just the right amount of disdain, being a bit short, myself

Barbablanca - Dreams of New Orleans – A fine catchy composition, Berni, and as you say, the Band in a Box really picks it up. I was bit like your protagonist, but I made it at first attempt.

Stanat20 - Battle of New Orleans – Yes Stan, I remember this from the late 50s , early 60s. I think Johnny Horton had the hit over here in Australia, although we did get a lot of Lonnie Donnegan. I like your Firefly, I have one as well. Do you tip your bridge over when not playing it. I’ve read where you should do so, to stop the drum from stretching I suppose. I reckon the action on mine is now lower than when it was new, and I’m not sure whether not tipping it has caused this

Demimondaine - It’s Raining – Chelsea, we saw Irma perform this at Jazzfest in 2005, sung superbly, of course. Being a local I think she is on the biil just about every year. You played a really nice version of this, too. Thank you for the memories.

Rab11 - I Wanna Be Like You – Fine effort from yourself and Nathan. he’s coming along well, doing a little rapping, and also retuning the uke at one stage during the performance. I liked his efforts. You did OK, too

a Jelly Roll Morton song with big thanks to my son Zacko for recording me
super week Rusty, cheers mate

and caught up again...
The Ukelites - Careless Love – That was just suerb, you three. I could listen to that all night. The slide, the singing, the ukes – very fine.

Harry122 - In My Room – Well done to keep that strum going. I liked that and I liked the solo, and the whole thing went together really well. Good work.

Pueo – Liberty – And what better way to celebrate a BIG birthday, or even a little birthday, than with a ukulele that sounds like that one. I didn’t know this song, but I had the feeling all the way through that it is one I should know, or at least, should learn. Thanks for the excellent entry, and the introduction.

Tootler – Wagon Wheel – Isn’t it a great song, Geoff. I know it’s disparaged a bit in the US because it is ubiquitous, but, like England, not so much over here.
I did it in one of my very early seasons when it was an absolutely new song to me, and I remember UkeCan1 said, “You can’t go wrong playing Wagon Wheel”.
Great rendition, Geoff, and loved the Harp breaks

cua94 – Iko Iko – Great version Liz, mad every nice listening. I wouldn’t expect yours to sound like Joko’s, but yours stands up very well on it’s own. Well done.

Greyghost – Who’s behind the Door? - You’re right Luis, the prog rock genre is definitely under-represented. I didn’t know this one, but I liked the line “Life is a waiting room, I hope they don't call me soon “. That’s how I feel sometimes. Have you listened to Cowboy Mouth at all? Saw them at Jazzfest and really liked them. I always enjoy your work, and thanks for contributing.

Greyghost – The Other End of the Telescope – Elvis Costello had had a few mentions this week, Luis, and here he is again. I didn’t know this one either, but I can see why Elvis is so well liked with the contributions we’ve had. Another excellent entry.

Uke4ia – Pearl of the Quarter – You always approach your songs with such passion, Jim, and this is another example of this. It is a song I might have attempted for this week if I was submitting an entry, but having watched you play it, I doubt I would have got close. Terrific.

RedPaul1 – Have You Seen Her? - I didn’t expect he subdudes to surface this week, Paul. They were one of the bands I did see at Jazzfest. I knew of them because they had had a bit of airplay on a show I listen to at home here, and I always found them interesting. I enjoyed their performance in 2005, as I enjoyed yours in 2017 (has it been that long?).
It was good to see your inner roadie getting organised at the start, too. And so many guitars etc, as well. Impressive.

Mountaingoat – Sweet Substitute – Crazy good playing there, Jon. I think, from watching this, that I don’t get enough contorted facial expressions when I’m playing my uke. That’s obviously where I’m falling down, and the only difference between us. That, of course, and ability.

JodeTheToad – Down at the Twist and Shout – Yes, I love this song Jodi, and your rendition has a fantastic feel to it. I just had to adjust my specs a bit to watch it. Terrific bring.

I think Lil and I have similar tastes in music. Last week she did a song I wanted to do but didn't get around to and this week she has done the song I've been practicing :) Anywho, I can't get Mr. Bojangles to dance onto the computer!!! I'll try again tomorrow. :)

Keep trying, Janet, no problems at this end

Fourth entry! I managed to get one from each Theme. This is Theme 3 - songs from the Jazzfest. This is Old Crow Medicine Show, and it's not Wagon Wheel!

This is the last comment for Randy's entry:

Randy that was terrific. You and your brothers were having way to much fun, although the one at the back didn’t seem to be pulling his weight. Smiles all round here.

Thank you all for a great season where I did indeed learn something. I will try to put some thoughts together tomorrow and get a closing video up.

Top Bottom