Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing a broken dehumidifier

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    Buy a whole house humidifier, preferably with a digital readout, or a target number. like this (not sure if this has digital readout but you get the idea)

https://www.amazon.com/696-400HB-Who...use+humidifier
    I think he wants to remove moisture Beau not add more ..That one is a whole house humidifier not a De-humidifier.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    I think he wants to remove moisture Beau not add more ..That one is a whole house humidifier not a De-humidifier.
    Opps.......

So I ended up buying a Hisense 70 pint dehumidifier from Lowe's on clearance for $183, regularly $229. Back to building. :-)
    I got the kerfing made and installed on the top side. Now figuring out how to do an end wedge. Apprehensive about the neck but that will have to wait. Think I'm going to do a bolt-on to keep life simple for Chuck. :-)
    And, for the record, I will never encourage anybody to make a set of spool clamps!!! If I am slow building this thing I am slower yet at making spool clamps! Not worth the time given that they're not that expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
    , for the record, I will never encourage anybody to make a set of spool clamps!!! If I am slow building this thing I am slower yet at making spool clamps! Not worth the time given that they're not that expensive.
    Oh yeah. I've been there on the spool clamp production thing. Call me a sick wood worker, but I kind of enjoy making spool clamps. It's the repetition I like. But there are so many of them! Also I am cheap and it saves money which warms the cockles of this skin flint's heart so it galls me to pay good money for something so easily made.... I notice that your bolts seem way to long. You haven't experienced true boredom until you try to thread all those clamps on with a butterfly nut. Recommend you cut them down to just above level.

They can be used for guitars as well as ukes. I plan on tackling a kit guitar next. I've threaded them down fairly close to the height needed to set the top on, which I hope to do this coming week.
    Curious, when you made your clamps, did you round the 'away' ends? If so, how did you do that? I started on a router table and ended up on a vertical belt sander. Not all that pretty but just as functional.

Sure you can round the ends which only takes seconds on a piece of sandpaper. In the end it really makes no difference. It is just cork. You did remember to put the cork pads on right?

Yes, I did remember to put the cork on.:-)
    I meant rounding the ends of the dowels opposite of the cork end. Sorry.

Thread Information