Another setup thread??

Well I certainly am not arguing that a setup is a bad thing. Some fine tuning never hurt anything. As I said in my original post, I just wonder how many people are playing a stock, off the shelf ukulele and getting along fine? I have one of each, one set up and one not set up. I will readily admit that my ear for pitch probably is not as developed as booli, but my tuner is saying that they are both well within his range of cents. I like them both and have no problems playing either. But there is such a preponderance of " you gotta get a setup" and so few people who say otherwise, that I got a little curious if I was the only one flying against convention and playing a ukulele that isn't set up. From the responses, I'm not, which for some reason is refreshing.

@Rllink I think the real issue here is that you got lucky. I have a cheap soprano around here somewhere that was never set up and it has shite intonation. It never gets used anymore.

Are you a renegade for bucking the setup trend? Maybe. Would you still be a renegade if your every day player actually needed a setup? I doubt it.

@Rllink I think the real issue here is that you got lucky. I have a cheap soprano around here somewhere that was never set up and it has shite intonation. It never gets used anymore.

Are you a renegade for bucking the setup trend? Maybe. Would you still be a renegade if your every day player actually needed a setup? I doubt it.
If it was unplayable, why didn't you return it? Is it possible that the real issue is that you just got unlucky? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just trying to have the conversation. In response to you reply, I really don't feel like I'm some renegade for simply thinking that my ukulele without a setup sounds fine? Anyway, what else do we buy that we expect to be unusable going out the door?

Where is the line between a setup, and basic quality control?

If it was unplayable, why didn't you return it? Is it possible that the real issue is that you just got unlucky? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just trying to have the conversation. In response to you reply, I really don't feel like I'm some renegade for simply thinking that my ukulele without a setup sounds fine? Anyway, what else do we buy that we expect to be unusable going out the door?

It was my first ukulele and it was purchased on a whim. At that point I didn't know there were so many better ukes out there. I saw it as a toy to play with for the rest of my vacation and that was it. It turned out to be a really fun toy, and so it led to a replacement instrument which today I use instead. I sometimes think about fixing up that cheapie by sending it to an instrument tech... maybe someday I will.

I agree it is a shame not all ukuleles get the love they deserve coming out of the factory, but part of the issue is that a nut and saddle are designed to be easily adjustable to account for differing strings and player preferences. Perhaps some manufacturers don't consider it in their purview to set those things for you.

Think of it like a piece of Ikea furniture: some assembly is required. You can do it yourself or you can hire someone to do it for you, but until it is assembled it is presumed useless. That is why I said you got lucky. Your Ikea furniture came assembled.

I have several Ukes that are 'inexpensive Chinese' made. The first I bought was satisfactory but I took it to my local Uke shop and had them set it up. Boy what a difference, the nut was lowered and the saddle was way lower, much easier to play and now sounds great. Over the next ~two years I bought more of these ukes, because I like Zebrawood and the last three I bought came with a great setup, no touch up needed. I think Caramel learned how to make customers happy.

I also have two Ohanas one from my local Uke shop and one from Mim. Both are easy to play and nicely intoned, neither are really expensive but cost 3-5X what my Caramels cost.

I've played a number of Ukes at my Local Uke Shop and they all were pretty well set up, but when I go to Guitar Center, their Ukes are quite variable.

My UAS is satisfied ( for now) I have several Tenors and at least one of each size so I won't be jonesing over a Uke soon. At least I hope not!

My first few ukuleles, entry level and midrange Kalas and Cordobas, had store setup only and all had decent intonation. The action on the cheaper ones was probably too high. My first Baritone had decent intonation. I had one of the techs at the local music store take a look at it. She lowered the action and it plays like a dream. I just got another Baritone from Mike at Uke Republic and it plays pretty good but it is a touch higher then my older Baritone. I think I will take it to the local store and getting it touched up. It makes a big difference.

I'm about to try and set up an Enya solid mahogany topped concert that I got a deal on as a left hander for my beloved niece.
The Enya bridge is compensated so its not reversible.
We bought a set of ebony nut and bridges for the ukulele on ebay as well a string gauge.

So my question is do I need nut files? Thanks.

Top Bottom