Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Octave baritone question

  1. #1

    Default Octave baritone question

    I have decided to experiment a bit with my new baritone. I want to tune it GCEA, but I would like to tune it an octave lower than standard to see if it will keep the rich baritone sound.

    I watched this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC1c4wYwTA where he used D'addrio extra high tension classical guitar strings to do this. I liked the sound but I would like linear tuning. He says which individual strings he used, but as his was gCEA he used a different g string.

    My question is which string should I use for octave low G tuning?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    477

    Default

    I tune my 20" scale baritone in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, and like this Thomastik flatwound one for my low G. I tried the 6th string from the D'Addario high tension classical set first, and it sounded okay but had a lot of finger noise (being round wound), but it didn't last very long, either. The Thomastik is a whole lot better sounding and more durable, so I'll be using these from now on.

    brastche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!


    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

    GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I had octave low g strings on a bari and found it very muddy sounding, may have been the poor quality uke tho.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    181

    Default

    The strings were from an acoustic guitar set.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I tune my 20" scale baritone in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, and like this Thomastik flatwound one for my low G. I tried the 6th string from the D'Addario high tension classical set first, and it sounded okay but had a lot of finger noise (being round wound), but it didn't last very long, either. The Thomastik is a whole lot better sounding and more durable, so I'll be using these from now on.

    brastche
    Thanks. That answers my question. I'll try the e string that comes with the set and if I like the sound I'll order a flat wound.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    My question is which string should I use for octave low G tuning?
    Try a set of Guadalupe strings. Mainland sells them.
    http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/cat...c?categoryId=2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    627

    Default

    You can look at this discussion

    https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bull...lletinID=26698

    Earnest (Joel Eckhaus) discusses his tuning. It may give you some ideas

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Any chance Ken Middleton (Living Water Strings) has a octave low C string set?
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

    Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Hueneme, CA
    Posts
    2,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piecomics View Post
    I had octave low g strings on a bari and found it very muddy sounding, may have been the poor quality uke tho.
    This was my experience as well. Sounded good when strumming with others in standard tuning, but I did not like it playing solo.
    Keep Strummin'

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •