Thread: Octave baritone question

Default Octave baritone question

I have decided to experiment a bit with my new baritone. I want to tune it GCEA, but I would like to tune it an octave lower than standard to see if it will keep the rich baritone sound.

I watched this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC1c4wYwTA where he used D'addrio extra high tension classical guitar strings to do this. I liked the sound but I would like linear tuning. He says which individual strings he used, but as his was gCEA he used a different g string.

My question is which string should I use for octave low G tuning?

I tune my 20" scale baritone in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, and like this Thomastik flatwound one for my low G. I tried the 6th string from the D'Addario high tension classical set first, and it sounded okay but had a lot of finger noise (being round wound), but it didn't last very long, either. The Thomastik is a whole lot better sounding and more durable, so I'll be using these from now on.

brastche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I had octave low g strings on a bari and found it very muddy sounding, may have been the poor quality uke tho.

The strings were from an acoustic guitar set.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I tune my 20" scale baritone in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, and like this Thomastik flatwound one for my low G. I tried the 6th string from the D'Addario high tension classical set first, and it sounded okay but had a lot of finger noise (being round wound), but it didn't last very long, either. The Thomastik is a whole lot better sounding and more durable, so I'll be using these from now on.

brastche
    Thanks. That answers my question. I'll try the e string that comes with the set and if I like the sound I'll order a flat wound.

Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    My question is which string should I use for octave low G tuning?
    Try a set of Guadalupe strings. Mainland sells them.
    http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/cat...c?categoryId=2

You can look at this discussion

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bull...lletinID=26698

Earnest (Joel Eckhaus) discusses his tuning. It may give you some ideas

Any chance Ken Middleton (Living Water Strings) has a octave low C string set?
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by Piecomics View Post
    I had octave low g strings on a bari and found it very muddy sounding, may have been the poor quality uke tho.
    This was my experience as well. Sounded good when strumming with others in standard tuning, but I did not like it playing solo.
    Keep Strummin'

Thread Information