NUD Godin Multiuke

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I purchased a Godin Multiuke natural, cedar and mahogany about two weeks ago. It has a 24" radius fretboard, 9 volt battery active pick up. It comes with a high qualty nicely padded gig bag. It has seperate volume, treble, mid and bass level controls, see picture. These work great and you can REALLY shape the sound right at the instrument, I can keep my amp adjusted flat. I have a couple friends that own them so I have had a chance to play them and listen to them before making my purchase. I wasn't going to do a NUD on this uke.....I was thinking of returning it but both those ideas have changed. I will explain why.

The first thing I did was restring it low G with my favorite South Coast HML-WB string set. I liked the sound unplugged but the more I played it amplified the less I was sure about it. Simon came over and played it amplified and it sounded good, then he played my Koolau with LR Baggs pick up plugged in. That kinda killed the Godin for me (I will be making a point so hang in there), I thought why keep it. After he left I realized I was standing behind the amp, Simon was facing me, and so was the sound hole of the uke and the amp was very low, I was hearing more of an acoustic sound.

The SC wound strings were sustaining for too long a time, 15 seconds plus and the note was oscillating. I changed the 4th and 3rd wounds to Thomastik and that solved that problem. I than stood 20 feet away from my amp, turned UP the volume and tested it against the Koolau, I'iwi, LfdM and Webber tenors all with LR Baggs pick ups. At volume, like on stage the Godin kicks ass, it sounded the best. Realize the Godin is about $625, the others are 3-5 times as much. If you are looking for a dedicated amplified tenor this instrument is a winner. The sound amplified is more natural sounding then anything I have played.

There have been discussions on what wound strings work well on this for low G and I can recommend the Thomastik CF 30 and CF 27 for the wound 4th and 3rd respectively. These strings are noted to have strong fundamentals and a netural sound charactristic.

I hope this helps someone out there that might be thinking of buying one. The build quality is very good and a solid cedar top and solid mahogany body for that price is great. I love the neck, it plays very easy and smooth but you will need to use a strap.

20171029_160518.jpg20171029_160613.jpg20171029_160318.jpg20171029_160209.jpg20171029_160008.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, I lusted after a Godin Multiuke for the longest time. I even played one at a music store in Maryland when I was visiting there earlier this year. I loved the sound and plugged it in to an amp and loved it more. I was sorely tempted at the time. Congratulations on your new Ukulele I am sure you will love it.

Cliff

Congrats Dave, welcome to the club. I think it's a great instrument, sounds great un-amped or amped. I use fluorou re-entrant strings. I got lucky last September and found a used excellent condition sunburst model on the UU Marketplace for $400. One of things I really like is it has a separate output jack which I prefer, not in the strap button.

Godin Multiuke sumbust mine 843.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats. Love that sunburst Mike!

Congrats! I play mine almost every day. I also have TI g and c strings with Oasis e and a strings.

Dave, I have looked at but stayed away from these because it will open the door to exploring and acquiring amps and pedals. You’re not helping. ;-) LOL. Enjoy!

Great thread DUD. I to use the Thomatik strings pared with D'Addario Titanium , it would be nice to hear from fellow Godin players there string choices also i'm keen to hear what settings they have for the EQ, i found this article useful . Sorry it's uploaded really small .

Godin settings.jpg

Last edited:
@ Osprey...Well Cliff it is no "baritone" but it is fun none the less. I hate to keep tempting you all the time, lol.

@ Kohanmike..... I remember your story about loosing the chance at an Ovation type uke then jumping on this one. Smart move, I love your sunburst.

@ Doc J....Thanks Hodge, this has proven itself against some heady competition. Adrian sure liked it and he has a great ear and expensive taste

Last edited:
@ photoshooter....Good to hear you are liking yours. I will try some different trebles eventual but these are working well with the Thomastiks

@ Eddie Ukulele...You are so right about this type of uke leading to pedals and such......might open a big can of worms.

@ Camsuke...I agree it is a very cool and well thought out instrument. I am proud to own such a high quality Canadian made instrument.

@ frigiliana....I know you like yours and it is good to hear others have had success with Thomastik wounds. Thanks for the sheet detailing the tone setting. I find this instrument has a lot of bass so I back that below middle, mid is slightly above middle and treble slightly below. Middle of the slide travel, I guess you could call that flat.

Last edited:
Thank you Dave for the clarification on strings. The wheels are turning, my purchasing agent is scratching her head......not a good sign. sigh.

QUOTE=1931jim;2009855]Thank you Dave for the clarification on strings. The wheels are turning, my purchasing agent is scratching her head......not a good sign. sigh.[/QUOTE]

I hate it when my purchasing agent is scratching her head..........so I am very kind and leave her out of these matters.:p

Congrats Dave!

I hope it brings you lots of joy. :music:

Owning one of these is on my wish list for later on when I have the cash.

Nice one Dave, congrats!

You've piqued my interest with this one. To date, the best sounding ukulele I have played plugged in (to my ears) are my Farallons, and it is not even close. This factors in tweakability and minimal feedback issues compared to all wood instruments. And of course, being weather proof kind of puts them in their own class. But at $625, I wouldn't mind taking it out to jams/gigs if it sounded good plugged in.

Congrats Dave.
All of the technical explanations here went right over my blond head!
LOL

Nice one Dave, congrats!

You've piqued my interest with this one. To date, the best sounding ukulele I have played plugged in (to my ears) are my Farallons, and it is not even close. This factors in tweakability and minimal feedback issues compared to all wood instruments. And of course, being weather proof kind of puts them in their own class. But at $625, I wouldn't mind taking it out to jams/gigs if it sounded good plugged in.

Hey Kevin.....glad I have piqued your interest, you have certainly done that to me a few times. You know Adrian from Ottawa, when he dropped by and played it he really liked it, a lot. To the point he said he wanted to buy one. That speaks volumes coming from a professional musician who owns some of the finest instruments made.

Last edited:
Congrats, Dave! I've been thinking about getting one of these. Where did you find "discussions on what wound strings work well on this for low G"?

What strings are you using for the E and A?

Anyone tried tuning one of these down to Bb tuning? If so, what strings did you use?

- FiL

Congrats, Dave! I've been thinking about getting one of these. Where did you find "discussions on what wound strings work well on this for low G"?

What strings are you using for the E and A?

Anyone tried tuning one of these down to Bb tuning? If so, what strings did you use?

- FiL

I am sorry but I forget where I found that discussion. I was way down the internet rabbit hole on that one.

I started out with South Coast HML-WB and when I swapped out the wounds I left the E and A on from the set. They are a bright sounding string and I like them. I will probably try Oasis warm next, keeping the Thomastiks wounds on there.

Top Bottom