Pono MTSHC-C

olphart

Reaction score
I bought my Pono a couple of months ago and was delighted with its tone and gorgeous looks. I wasn't happy with the strings and changed them out for Living Waters, much better.......but
My Pono and I just haven't "bonded" like we should. I've seen that expression used on the forum a few times and now I understand it better.

My Pono is gorgeous, beautiful tone, intonation is spot on, action is just right. For me, there is something missing. I have a Kala TEM that I think it's anything but pretty. i'm not crazy about the orangey colour or the stripey wood grain. Tone is just OK, but it feels right when I play.

Anyway, I can't fault the Pono MTSGC-C as a fine instrument, but it's like a beautiful woman who ignores your advances.

My guess would be the differences in physical dimensions. The Pono is bigger, heavier, has a deeper neck, radius fretboard and fatter fretwires. Playing an instrument is very physical and some instruments just "fit" us better. But I would not classify your post as a REVIEW more of a lament

I am sorry for your loss. Sell it. Many members here would be happy to take it off you. Why sit with an unsatisfying instrument. If you don’t like it now, the chance is you won’t like it later! Use the fund on another uke. Take the loss as money spent on a rental instrument! I am sure many of us have had bought instruments that we can’t bond and re home to a better owner.
There is nothing more painful than forcing yourself to love an instrument and Downupdave above this thread can tell you I am speaking from experience!

I am sorry for your loss. Sell it. Many members here would be happy to take it off you. Why sit with an unsatisfying instrument. If you don’t like it now, the chance is you won’t like it later! Use the fund on another uke. Take the loss as money spent on a rental instrument! I am sure many of us have had bought instruments that we can’t bond and re home to a better owner.
There is nothing more painful than forcing yourself to love an instrument and Downupdave above this thread can tell you I am speaking from experience!

Yea Brenda......you know how many ukuleles I have cycled through to find the ones that I bond with. Playing them at a music store doesn't do it either. Owning them and playing for weeks or months is how you really find out about an instrument.

Few things are more subjective than music.
Probably the same can be said of instruments.
Sell it on, it could waiting to be someone's true love.

I'd agree with the above posts, if it doesn't suit you, might be better to sell it on, & get something else.
In the mean time, enjoy playing your Kala, nothing wrong with them. :)

My guess would be the differences in physical dimensions. The Pono is bigger, heavier, has a deeper neck, radius fretboard and fatter fretwires. Playing an instrument is very physical and some instruments just "fit" us better. But I would not classify your post as a REVIEW more of a lament

Very true..wrong forum I guess, though it started out as a review.

Olphart,

I'm the one who bought the Pono from you.
I absolutely love it, so I wanted to say "thanks."

I changed out the high G for a Freemont Soloist and detuned to Bb and I couldn't be happier.
It gets played multiple times a day, every day. And my 1yo loves to dance when I really start jammin'!

Thanks again brother.

/dave

Congratulations Super_Dave, you made the right choices. To me, those babies cry for linear tuning in Bb. Not your average ukulele sound.

Glad to hear it Superdave.
Now I'm trying to get a Kanilea, but there's a Pono etsh pc that's looking pretty nice.

I know...that's a GOOD looking instrument!

The problem with this Pono is that it's fully sold me on the Uke and now I'm looking for a good deal on a Kamaka HF-1 or Timms Soprano to compliment the sound...

Top Bottom