My Uke Came ALIVE!

Yeah, thanks for that tip. I tried it today on a low G tenor, and it did indeed sound better, to my ear. Started at B flat, also tried B, both seemed a bit sweeter. Big bonus was for vocals. I have a few tunes that are just at the top of my vocal range. With the lower tuning...problem solved, I don't need to sing an octave lower! Can't wait to try on my other tenor, in high G. So now I need 2 new tenors for these tunings, ha ha :D

Last edited:
Hello friends, here's a variation on the original question, and I'd really appreciate your thoughts:
I'm wondering if a CONCERT-scale uke would sound nice in the lower "f Bb D G" tuning. I tend to use Martin strings (M-600's for soprano/concert), and I'm thinking that if a set of M-620's (normally intended for tenor scale) were used in this application (i.e. on a concert-scale uke tuned down to "f Bb D G"), the potential for "too much tension" from the slightly heavier set would be offset by the fact that it's been down-tuned. Does that make sense?

we tried Bb on a concert Brucko today and a Kala concert. Improved tone and playability - richness of both.
Just try it. Down a semitone. Play. Go down another semitone. Play. Decide what YOU like. So easy. "Tune to the instrument." my motto from now on.
BTW, this worked for us on nylon, nylgut and flourocarbon strings.

Last edited:
Tried tuning my mahogany tenor down to B flat, it seemed to sound a bit to low for me. Bumped it up to B, and it sounds great, really nice. I have Martin 620 strings on there, with a wound classical guitar string on the low string. Next time I change strings, I was thinking of trying some heavy tension strings, since I'm already lower than standard C tuning. Anyone try high tensions in B tuning, and how was it? What string sets would you recommend? I'm liking Worths lately, and want to try reentrant again, but also order a heavy tension 4th, to swap back to low G if wanted.

Top Bottom