Nitro Fills is there a quicker way>

Michael Smith

Reaction score
There have been a few times when customer comes to my shop to buy an instrument that when doing a final inspection I discover a pinhole or small blip in the finish I would like to fix and I have to tell them come back in 10 days. I don't know how those little blips magically appear but they do. I use Cardinal Lacquer but I'm wondering if it would work to use UV cure lacquer for tiny repairs to the finish and be able to do them and buff in a day. Any Thoughts or Experience with this?

Ok so I called Cardinal Finishes and there guy told me that there would be no problem with adhesion but there could be issues with the regular shrinking back and the UV cure not. I don't think that would be a problem as in my case the regular has usually cured for six months. He did say that it may be a large investment for a UV curing light, about $2K. That would be an issue but I was thinking the uv bulbs used in small water purification systems may work. I have heard of builders making their own uv lamps.

i have a very small jar with about 1/8 of cardinal nitro in the bottom. I leave the lid off for a day so the thinners evaporates leaving a thicker nitro, which when you use to drop fill, it cures quicker. You can re thinner it too if it gets too thick or hard. HOWEVER, if you have buffed cured nitro, there may be adhesion issues, so i usually put a speck of thinners into whatever area i need to treat before i drop fill with anything.

I have a bottle of thickened lacquer i use as well but I'm searching for a quicker repair. I'm wondiering about using the Cardinal UV Cure for the drop fills with something like this that they use in nail salons. Just thinking out loud here, not sure if it would be a good solution. I have ordered a can of the cardinal uv cure polyester and will post test results if anyone is interested.
173.jpg

Last edited:
I have used Gluboost Fill and Finish to seamlessly repair a bad scratch in a new lacquer finish and ship it the next day. Pretty amazing stuff. It does not react with lacquer the way regular cyano does. The accelerator also does not seem to damage lacquer. Unfortunately they won't ship to Hawaii, so when I'm done with this little bottle I have, I guess I'm done. Too bad.

Hey, Bob. You going to UGH? I could bring some along.

You need some, Aaron? It’s nine days until I get on the big silver bird so there’s still time to get an order to me if I get right on it.

David,
Thanks for the offer of bringing me Gluboost to the UGH, but I will not be there this year. Hope you have a great time at the festival.--Bob

Aaron, I just sent a PM to Chuck and copied you.

So here is what I'm thinking will work best for setting off the Cardinal UV cure lacquer drop fills 3M76976.jpg This unit is very expensive but you can buy them from China for $25. Dentist use these units when they do conposite fillings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom