Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Music

Talking Early Music

Does anybody else think that medieval and renaissance music sounds really good on the ukulele? I heard Tourdion by Wilfried Welti on YouTube and bought the e-book with the tabs just for this song, as it is one of my favourites. Unfortunately I couldn't play all of it yet, it's difficult for me. But I can play Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair just fine. Can you suggest any medieval tunes for me? I'm not a total beginner but I'm not a good player either.

No suggestions here, but Wilfried's Tourdion performance is indeed beautiful, and something to aspire to. What chops!

Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    No suggestions here, but Wilfried's Tourdion performance is indeed beautiful, and something to aspire to. What chops!

<3

Tony Mizen's book From Lute to Uke would be my recommendation - he also has a few other classical books that are worth checking out. His arrangements are really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Tony Mizen's book From Lute to Uke would be my recommendation - he also has a few other classical books that are worth checking out. His arrangements are really nice!
    YES
    This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Time to save some money.
    Thanks.

I have Tony Mizen's book. It's very good but I haven't played it much. I play a lot of early music on recorder but I use the uke primarily for singing. I sing songs from the 17th & 18th century and have my 8 string uke tuned like a Renaissance Guitar.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

I always get a kick out of these threads. Everyone seems to buy a (Hawaiian) ukulele, and then tries to play Jazz or Rock or Baroque or Gypsy or God only knows what else. I wonder if even Hawaiians are playing the music of the islands.

Now don’t get me wrong . . . of course it’s okay. Play what ever you like, but I just find it amusing.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Two ukes are better than one. Uh, what’s better than two?

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Cool

Amazon has been pushing that book on me for months and I've been ignoring them. I don't think I'm ready skill-wise to take the plunge, but after watching that beautiful performance by Wilfried Welti it's now on my ukulele bucket list.
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

Kala SMHCE-C | Outdoor Tenor | KA-SRT-CTG-CE

What is amusing about it?

I'm currently messing around with both nagauta songs and maskandi Zulu music on the uke, sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I always get a kick out of these threads. Everyone seems to buy a (Hawaiian) ukulele, and then tries to play Jazz or Rock or Baroque or Gypsy or God only knows what else. I wonder if even Hawaiians are playing the music of the islands.

Now don’t get me wrong . . . of course it’s okay. Play what ever you like, but I just find it amusing.

Thread Information