Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Early Music

  1. #1

    Talking Early Music

    Does anybody else think that medieval and renaissance music sounds really good on the ukulele? I heard Tourdion by Wilfried Welti on YouTube and bought the e-book with the tabs just for this song, as it is one of my favourites. Unfortunately I couldn't play all of it yet, it's difficult for me. But I can play Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair just fine. Can you suggest any medieval tunes for me? I'm not a total beginner but I'm not a good player either.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    691

    Default

    No suggestions here, but Wilfried's Tourdion performance is indeed beautiful, and something to aspire to. What chops!

    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    No suggestions here, but Wilfried's Tourdion performance is indeed beautiful, and something to aspire to. What chops!

    <3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    Tony Mizen's book From Lute to Uke would be my recommendation - he also has a few other classical books that are worth checking out. His arrangements are really nice!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Tony Mizen's book From Lute to Uke would be my recommendation - he also has a few other classical books that are worth checking out. His arrangements are really nice!
    YES
    This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Time to save some money.
    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oop North in England
    Posts
    5,069

    Default

    I have Tony Mizen's book. It's very good but I haven't played it much. I play a lot of early music on recorder but I use the uke primarily for singing. I sing songs from the 17th & 18th century and have my 8 string uke tuned like a Renaissance Guitar.
    Geoff Walker

    I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

    at least, not yet.

    I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

    Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    I always get a kick out of these threads. Everyone seems to buy a (Hawaiian) ukulele, and then tries to play Jazz or Rock or Baroque or Gypsy or God only knows what else. I wonder if even Hawaiians are playing the music of the islands.

    Now don’t get me wrong . . . of course it’s okay. Play what ever you like, but I just find it amusing.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

    Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

    Two ukes are better than one. Uh, what’s better than two?

    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    115

    Cool

    Amazon has been pushing that book on me for months and I've been ignoring them. I don't think I'm ready skill-wise to take the plunge, but after watching that beautiful performance by Wilfried Welti it's now on my ukulele bucket list.
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

    Kala SMHCE-C | Outdoor Tenor | KA-SRT-CTG-CE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bowral NSW AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    6,902

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    181

    Default

    What is amusing about it?

    I'm currently messing around with both nagauta songs and maskandi Zulu music on the uke, sounds good!

    Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I always get a kick out of these threads. Everyone seems to buy a (Hawaiian) ukulele, and then tries to play Jazz or Rock or Baroque or Gypsy or God only knows what else. I wonder if even Hawaiians are playing the music of the islands.

    Now don’t get me wrong . . . of course it’s okay. Play what ever you like, but I just find it amusing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •