Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Music

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Yes, of course. And one can play “Asleep in the Deep” on a piccolo if he/she feels like it. We are smack in the middle of the “do whatever the heck ya wanna do” age. And if one comments on the fitness of things, he/she is an out of step old fogey.

I suppose all this freedom of choice may be improving the ukulele’s acceptance as a musical instrument, but I still find some of the choices amusing.

And, yes, I am an old fogey!
    The ukulele was being used for music other than Hawaiian quite early on, in fact once it took hold after being demonstrated on the US mainland in the early 1900s. Sheet music of popular songs of the 1920s used to have ukulele chord symbols on them so folk using the ukulele to accompany popular song is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by gilles T View Post
    Hello Tootler,

You're right, the eight string tenor is the perfect cheap alternative to the pricey renaissance guitar. I bought my Baton Rouge just to get closer to the renaissance sound, and was very happy to get a decent instrument in the price range you mention —120 to 180 £, or €.
    That said, it sounds a bit thinny and makes me really carving for a real renaissance guitar, because that —not so— diminutive instrument features a string length closer to a baritone than a tenor...
    And, from what I may know of, the 8th string baritone is a rare beast, and a quite expensive one.

So, for someone really interested in the renaissance guitar repertoire, it may be wise to save money for the real thing, an 8 stringer being cool but quickly unsatisfying when you become really involved in that special repertoire.

Just my 2 cents.
    regards,
    Gilles
    Kala make an 8 string Baritone and I did a quick check and it seems to be selling here in the UK for around 300 GBP. More than a Baton Rouge 8 string tenor but still a very reasonable price. My 8 string is a Baton Rouge and I have Living Water fluorocarbon strings on it, very different from the gut strings of a Renaissance Guitar and that will affect the tone. I'm more interested in using mine to accompany popular song of the era - mainly broadsides - than the more formal repertoire. I did consider getting a Mandola and retuning it DGBE as an affordable alternative to a Renaissance cittern but I find the 8 string tenor an acceptable compromise for what I want and it works very nicely for accompanying traditional song as well.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Default That's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    I tabbed "Espanoleta" a while back, it works quite nicely in high g. Just drop me a PM if you'd like a copy.
    That's the one that I play... many thanks to you and those on web the that supply free EM tabs.

-- Gary

Well, Tootler, you’re correct. I have some old music with uke chords. No problem, everyone has a right to play whatever he/she likes. Let freedom ring. We are in agreement, and I am amused.

“All’s well that ends well.”
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Two ukes are better than one. Uh, what’s better than two?

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Jamie Holding's tabs are still a favourite of mine. At least one of his e-books finds it's way onto my music stand every few weeks. His web-site is long gone, unfortunately, but a copy of it can be found on the "Archive Machine", with a link to a free e-book here, http://web.archive.org/web/201306070...uk/free-ebook/ . Follow the menu links for other sample pages. Jamie was still answering e-mails and mailing pdf's of his other publications relatively recently.

A lot of music arranged for descant or tenor recorder will translate to the re-entrant ukulele directly, these recorders also having a lowest note of "C" and much early music is of relatively limited range ... that's not to say it's easy. Some of the timing changes can be quite the PITA to get to grips with, which is, of course, half the charm of it

Enjoy
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    I think Down Up Dick does have an interesting point. You can play anything on your ukulele, and you should play anything on your ukulele, but don't just play anything on your ukulele.
    Take some time to learn about the genre you are playing. Read some biographies, read some articles, work out what the music is about. Obviously in the first week you are just going to be reading the music and enjoying the noise, but as you keep going put in some time learning the background to the music. I think this is the way to get the most enjoyment and the emotion will feed back into your playing. Get to a point where you can talk about the arrangers and the history of the music's era and why you think it is still worthy of being played.
    Bill1 has a good point here. It's about understanding the music you are playing and then making it work with the ukulele. In fact, I find it an interesting challenge to take a song written for a different genre/style of music and adapt it to the ukulele. If the song is well written in the first place, it will work with any instrument[s].

PS. DuD I'm also an old fogey but I hope not set in my ways
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

Internet:

A slight waver on/off topic.
    Have a search for Lutes and Ukes, a collaboration between UOGB and Theatre of the Ayre.
    https://vimeo.com/66684600
    h

Geoff, I’m not exactly sure what “set in my ways” means, but I like what I like.

I, too, once played recorders, and I mostly played Baroque music on ‘em. But, nowadays, I also sometimes play snatches of Bach on my ukes. I also play old standards once in a while. So I do get out of my box sometimes.

But I’m a believer in the rightness of things. I sorta like things to be the way they’re supposed to be. So, in that way I guess I am “set in my ways”. I think Sousa marches on an Ocarina and Brubeck’s “Take Five” on a tin whistle and Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy” on a ukulele may all be playable, but I find those musical ideas . . . amusing.

But, as I said before, I am an ol’ fogey.

Apologies Dick. I didn't mean to imply you were set in your ways but rather I was speaking about myself. I hope I'm capable of adapting to new ideas. I'm afraid I didn't think through properly how that statement could be taken.

I'm enjoying my musical journey and it takes me to interesting places and In that sense I'm not set in my ways but I'm not intending to imply that all older people are set in their ways (though too many are, sadly and they miss out on so much)

Old fart and proud of it
    Geoff Walker

at least, not yet.

Internet:

Poor Iza wants to play Medieval/Renaissance music and wants info about it.

Maybe it’s time for me to be amused quietly to myself . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    Jamie Holding's tabs are still a favourite of mine. At least one of his e-books finds it's way onto my music stand every few weeks. His web-site is long gone, unfortunately, but a copy of it can be found on the "Archive Machine", with a link to a free e-book here, http://web.archive.org/web/201306070...uk/free-ebook/ . Follow the menu links for other sample pages. Jamie was still answering e-mails and mailing pdf's of his other publications relatively recently.

A lot of music arranged for descant or tenor recorder will translate to the re-entrant ukulele directly, these recorders also having a lowest note of "C" and much early music is of relatively limited range ... that's not to say it's easy. Some of the timing changes can be quite the PITA to get to grips with, which is, of course, half the charm of it

Enjoy
    Thank you for this!
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

Thread Information