Violin body U-bass...do they exist?

UkerDanno

Reaction score
I've been thinking I'd like to have a Violin body U-bass, you know, Beatle bass Hofner style replica?

Does anyone make one? Seems like I saw one somewhere, don't remember if it was a custom or what. I've also seen a Ubass with a sort of violin style body, but I want a replica Hofner with the 20" scale using Pahoehoe strings, because I love the feel and sound.

It should look almost exactly like this, this might even be a good starting point...
https://reverb.com/item/6394517-jay-turser-jtb-2b-violin-bass-2010s-vintage-sunburst?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq4qgsdSd1wIVklx-
Ch3V2QLJEAQYBCABEgIPYPD_BwE&pla=1

Would it even be feasible to convert the Turser or a Rogue to 20" scale?

Last edited:
Rondo recently had exactly what you're looking for, a Hofner inspired bass uke for $199.99, but they sell out very fast. rondomusic.com A couple of years ago I wanted a Hofner style but because none were made at the time, I had Blue Star in Michigan replace the standard Rondo solid body with a violin style solid body.

Hofnelele decal bass 750.jpg

The Rondo is a very close facsimile of the Hofner, hollow body and the correct color. Mine is a simplified version and the wood would not stain the color I wanted, but it's fine for me. If you email Kurt at Rondo.com, he'll tell you when they expect more.

I found the listing but it's out of stock: http://www.rondomusic.com/Hadean_UKBV-20.html

Rondo Hofner bass uke.jpg

Last edited:
The Rondo is a very close facsimile of the Hofner, hollow body and the correct color. Mine is a simplified version and the wood would not stain the color I wanted, but it's fine for me. If you email Kurt at Rondo.com, he'll tell you when they expect more.

WOW! Sweetness...:drool::shaka:

Mike, you have several Rondos, I guess you like them a lot. I have a friend with the low end Hadean acoustic/electric, cost about $150 a year ago. I wasn't real impressed with it compared to my Rumbler, which is Kalas low end and costs twice as much. What bass do you play the most?

Mike, you have several Rondos, I guess you like them a lot. I have a friend with the low end Hadean acoustic/electric, cost about $150 a year ago. I wasn't real impressed with it compared to my Rumbler, which is Kalas low end and costs twice as much. What bass do you play the most?

The favorite of my basses is a SmallGuitars.com mini P-bass (Fender) that I had painted surf green. It's really a mini electric bass guitar (24.5" scale) with steel flatwound strings and magnetic pickups, not a bass uke. I have four magnetic electric, the others are under saddle piezo pickup with poly strings.

Small P-bass done 600.jpg

I have six Rondo Hadean solid body, mainly because they're inexpensive, so I can modify them as I choose and not have to spend a lot of money. When I first looked at the Kala U-bass, I didn't think they were worth $400 plus, I actually had a custom made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam for the same price that I liked far more, though I had it made fretless and after a couple of years, decided I don't want to play fretless anymore, so I just ordered my first acoustic from Rondo, a cutaway walnut.

Here are my assortment of Rondo bass ukes I had modified one way or another, followed by the acoustic that's on its way (which I'm also going to modify with black Road Toad Pahoehoe strings, some kind of thumb rest, pearl knob tuners and pearl strap pins):

Rondo bass mods 900.jpg

Rondo walnut cutaway 800.jpg

Last edited:
Great collection, love the Ukenbacker! :shaka: I heard a Kala U-bass 5+ years ago when I joined the ukulele club and just love the mellow, upright bass sound. My Rumbler is low end Kala, but I think it sounds awesome. Sure would like to compare the USA made Kala basses, just to see the difference.

SAmick 1/2 size Bass - 31" total length

Here's my one "real bass"

Attachments

• My Samick.jpg
    My Samick.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom