Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OTG: Hooking a mic up to your smartphone

I wondered about the whole data thing... you can't just use a smartphone as a pocket-sized mini wifi tablet? I've got a bunch of old pocket digital cameras, but am not too impressed with the video on them, and they only take 2GB SD cards, which cost a fortune nowadays compared with the higher capacity ones. They are also a bit clunky by today's standards. I was thinking a smartphone with a bunch of onboard memory would be nicer, more portable, and make better video.... if it could work without any obligations attached, of course.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

An Apple iPod is basically a wi-fi only smart phone...sort of. No data fee.

Quote Originally Posted by flailingfingers View Post
    An Apple iPod is basically a wi-fi only smart phone...sort of. No data fee.
    On that note the Apple iPod touch is a wonderful wifi only device if you choice that model. Apple products are compatible with many more manufactures of microphones then Android. It will do email and you have access to the internet and all the great apps. You just can't make a phone call with it.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I wondered about the whole data thing... you can't just use a smartphone as a pocket-sized mini wifi tablet? I've got a bunch of old pocket digital cameras, but am not too impressed with the video on them, and they only take 2GB SD cards, which cost a fortune nowadays compared with the higher capacity ones. They are also a bit clunky by today's standards. I was thinking a smartphone with a bunch of onboard memory would be nicer, more portable, and make better video.... if it could work without any obligations attached, of course.

bratsche
    The key word you used is old Cameras have come a long way in the last few years. A 32 or 64 gb micro sd card can be had for $20 or less. I can store hours oc video (longer than the battery lasts) on a 64gb card on my gopro. This is quality video (1080p at 60fps or 720p at 120 fps).

Like others said, an Ipod touch is a smartphone without the phone. Maybe look for a used or refurbished one.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWalker View Post
    The key word you used is old Cameras have come a long way in the last few years. A 32 or 64 gb micro sd card can be had for $20 or less. I can store hours oc video (longer than the battery lasts) on a 64gb card on my gopro. This is quality video (1080p at 60fps or 720p at 120 fps).
    Oh, I know, I was just talking about my pocket sized ones. I have one that takes bigger cards but I have to carry it in a separate bag (or around my neck).

Like others said, an Ipod touch is a smartphone without the phone. Maybe look for a used or refurbished one.
    How is its photo and video quality?

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Oh, I know, I was just talking about my pocket sized ones. I have one that takes bigger cards but I have to carry it in a separate bag (or around my neck).

How is its photo and video quality?

bratsche
    Photo and video quality are very good, I have one but dont use it much. Although I use my Android phone a lot to record practice sessions with the group I play in. It is invaluable because it is so quick and efficient. With a decent external mic the recording quality is great. A small portable blue tooth speaker gives decent playback quality. These are practice tools that really make a difference.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Great thread Rob (:

bratsche
    Sure you can do that. Any old Android phone will work for quite a bit less than any new i-thing.
    Kiwaya KTS-6
    Enya X1 soprano
    Kiwaya KTC-2
    Ohana BK20

bratsche
    nother option instead of a smartphone with an external mic, or a GoPro with an external mic, might be the ZoomQ2n, which came out last December 2016, and has been getting great reviews, and has the legendary Zoom mic system built-in with a nince 1080p HD video camera.

I am greatly fatigued by all the cable-wrangling etc when using my iPad to record videos for the UU seasons and was looking for a dedicated camera with great audio, and Zoom claims that this camera was 'made for musicians'...

B&H and Sweetwater had it listed for $169 last time I looked, and aside from recording to an internal/removable microSD card, it can also record to the computer/iOS device via USB.

Here is the link to the product on Zoom's web site:

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...video-recorder

As you scroll down the page, you will see MANY close-up photos and a handful of video demos, and there are many more on Youtube if you search 'Zoom Q2n'.

I would have bought one of these already if I had enough disposable cash saved up over the past year, but it's been a bit tight money-wise and saving up that much at once, has not been possible yet.

The main benefit of using one of these things is that there is no worry about 'which' USB mic to add to your smartphone or tablet, because all of that is taken out of the equation - this is a hand-sized (about the size of a softball) all-in-one hi-fi hi-res video camera with removable batteries and removable storage cards, and easy to bring your recordings into the computer for anything you want to do with them after recording, like editing, etc, or putting on YouTube, or emailing to family, etc.

Using something like this would be MUCH simpler than wading thru the nearly thousand choices of video camera apps and external microphones for an iOS or Android device, as well as be MUCH cheaper, and would last a lot longer before becoming obsolete.

The obsolescence manifests as Apple devices no longer get security updates after about 2 yrs, and using them without updates puts you at great risk for your data to be exfiltrated or your phone to be hijacked be nefarious programs/web-sites.

Android devices are also often abandoned, and subject to the same risks, but the 'useful' lifespan of each device (as per it's maker) is defined by and based upon either the phone maker's private deprecation schedule and/or your wireless carrier which often both lag behind as well as orphan devices prematurely.

Both of these issues reduce the overall function of anything that connects to the internet. Why does a CAMERA have to connect to the internet????? It should not HAVE TO.

The Zoom Q2n and GoPro 'Music' models do NOT need internet nor special apps to work.

It may be in your best interest to take a look at something that does not ALSO function as a phone or wi-fi device.

This advice is coming from my 35 yrs experience working as an IT professional and seeing the internet, and anything attached to it get exploited by those with malicious intent, at every possible attack vector. I'd say to minimize the potential for exposure to such risks and maybe look at something that it's primary function is to be a hi-fi and hi-res video camera and nothing else.
    Just the FAQs __________less is more

Nice one. I have an Android phone and already have an OTG, i just need to find a decent mike! BTW Rob, the little hole at the top of your phone is a reset button. I had that phone previously.
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    My facebook- http://www.facebook.com/lozzie.green

Thread Information