light or dark?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
i am shopping for a solid acacia 8-string tenor via ebay. i have noticed that some ukes are made of very dark acacia whereas some are made of light acacia.

so i am wondering..... as a very general rule, which might be harder wood, dark or light? and... might dark acacia *sound* a bit darker than light acacia?

seems to me that the darkness VS lightness of the same kind of wood must have some effect. am i wrong?

Can't say for sure, but I've just bought myself a Kala acacia concert which is dark coloured & it has a great sound tone to it with the Living Water Low G strings I put on it. :)

One authority says go dark:

Jim, you are the greatest! The Darth Vader and the excellent link --- itchi-ban numero uno good schtick. 10Q!

Don't know about comparison, but my dark acacia KPK concert, which is admittedly heavy for a concert is "hard as hell and rings like a bell", (sounds like a song lyric, LOL) and has amazing projection sustain. Sounds like a uke costing far, far more. The fancy grain is spectacular. It Has an ebony nut and saddle. Is the practice uke that sits next to my recliner. A keeper.

Aloha Phil,

Is KPK a brand name or an abbreviation for a brand name? You say it's koa -- is koa the same thing as acacia?

Top Bottom