Fs: Pohaku concert ukulele

cogfasser

Reaction score
SOLD. This year, I've purchased (2) wonderful Pohaku ukuleles: a cedar-topped soprano and a cedar-topped concert with the intention of keeping just one. After much deliberation, I’ve decided to keep the soprano and let go of the concert. I’ve just bonded more to the soprano size.
Description: This concert features beautiful woods and workmanship details throughout by Peter Hurney of Pohaku. And this ukulele has been well-cared for, as it has been kept in remarkably near-mint condition. No dents, scratches, blemishes, or nicks on its beautiful high-gloss nitro finish (see photos). Back-and-sides are Cuban mahogany; the soundboard is cedar. It has a deep curved back that gives it a full warm, bell-like sound—that has good sustain with good note clarity, surprising volume and no muddiness. Excellent for strumming, bit it really excels at fingerpicking. Peghed (4:1) planetary tuners with burl veneer (curly mahogany or koa?) on back of peg head and also at heal. Mother of pearl inlay fret markers—set off-center to act as side markers as well. Fretboard & bridge is Hawaiian milo wood. Nice wider fretboard is 37mm at nut; 48.5mm at body/neck join. 15-inch playing scale; 15 frets in total: 13 to body, 3 on a partially floating fretboard. Curly mahogany (or koa?) top binding. Simple gold/black/gold rosette. Nut and saddle appear to be rosewood. Currently strung with Worth Browns and Fremont Low G Soloist. Perfectly set up with no issues.

Images can be viewed here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UThuVKwdxhtNEqpg2

Fits snugly in deluxe textured ABS hard-shell case which is included. Has been kept humidified in this case in a smoke-free environment. Visit the Pohaku website for more information about his ukuleles: http://www.pohakuukulele.com
SOLD $25 CONUS insured & tracked shipping. PayPal preferred. PM me with any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_3791.jpg
    IMG_3791.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3758.jpg
    IMG_3758.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3796.jpg
    IMG_3796.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3789.jpg
    IMG_3789.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3790.jpg
    IMG_3790.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Tried to pm you, but your inbox is full. Do you know when this was built? Thanks, Eddie

No problem. I have two Pohakus. Your buyer got a great uke at a great price. Thanks!

Thanks, Ukulele Eddie! Once you get the uke, I'd be curious what your take is on a cedar top concert uke. I've never played a cedar top before and am wondering what the tonal qualities mind be like. If I were to venture a guess, a bit softer tone, and maybe quieter, than koa or mahogany topped ukes. I'd invite others reading this posted to submit their thoughts/reflections on cedar topped ukes. I'm more partial to loud and jangle-ly ukes. I lead a local uke group of about 30 and need something that will project over the other players. Mahalo!

As I planned when I gnabbed this, I'll be moving it along pretty quickly. I checked with Dana who has to pass due to college tuition demands, so if anyone is interested please PM me. I conditioned the fretboard but have not yet changed strings. It's currently set up Linear and will likely swap to re-entrant (but can keep it linear if somebody prefers). I'd like to get back what I paid which was $625 shipped (which means I'm only out shipping and strings to the new buyer).

Last edited:
Top Bottom