Banjolele too loud for uke Clubs?

I have decided to inform the group that I don't like the idea of having banjoleles played within our group due to their 'loudness' and that will be mentioned in our 'manifesto' on our web site. However, I will not out and out ban them ... instead, hoping members will understand where I'm coming from. They are a responsible bunch of seniors and I think that will suffice. Thanks to all of the Ukulele Underground types that responded. My final decision is based strongly on the comments put forth. You guys Rock! Actually, I have a Deering banjo-uke and a firefly and get great enjoyment from them doing old tunes clawhammer style (but not with the uke group).

https://sites.google.com/site/evergreenukes/

Thanks for coming back to the thread and letting contributors know what you have decided and why. To me that makes the time taken to respond more worthwhile.

I thought it interesting that you have some banjo Ukes of your own, which you enjoy playing, but you leave them at home as banjo ukes are too loud for your particular group. Perhaps that’s a comment to make on your site and to say in person.

Last edited:
Interesting thread this! I have just - as in this morning - bought this exciting instrument from a maker in the UK, who claims that it sounds more "civilised" than a standard banjolele and lends itself to accompanying both ukulele and voice. (As I never play with anyone else, anyway, it doesn't really make any difference to me, but I DID have a more conventional banjouke once and found that the sound, even with a sock stuffed in the open back was REALLY loud!)

Screenshot 2017-11-24 at 10.16.24.jpg

Interesting thread this! I have just - as in this morning - bought this exciting instrument from a maker in the UK, who claims that it sounds more "civilised" than a standard banjolele and lends itself to accompanying both ukulele and voice. (As I never play with anyone else, anyway, it doesn't really make any difference to me, but I DID have a more conventional banjouke once and found that the sound, even with a sock stuffed in the open back was REALLY loud!)

View attachment 104639

That's an interesting looking uke, Val. You'll have to introduce us to it in the Seasons.

View attachment 104639

It's not April 1st is it?

View attachment 104639

I struggled with the picture at first but then realised that it’s a Banjo uke with a Tenor (?) directly behind it. The drum looks massive to me so I’d have thought it would be really loud, am I mistaken and (please) who built it for you?

Top Bottom