laminate neck warp?

jcdoc107

Reaction score
I have had a laminate uke for about a month now. My understanding was laminates did not require a humidifier?

I think the neck may have warped a bit. I noticed some buzzing, most notable at the 9th fret. I also noticed the 15th fret is higher than the rest using a straight edge. Also, the action seems much lower. Was around 3mm at the 12th fret and now is about half that. Also, intonation is off. The A string at the 12th fret now registers as a B.

I live in a dry environment. I tested the humidity in my house around 32.

Do I need to humidify and if it has indeed warped will it reverse?

If the neck isn't laminated then yes it will move. Generally laminated ukes are better than solid in a dry environment, but they still need to be made out of properly seasoned wood in the first place. If the timber WAS properly seasoned in the first place then yes, a little humidification will bring it back but if it wasn't properly seasoned in the first place it won't get better.

Is the uke under warranty? What brand is it?

A string registering as B at the 12th fret!!! There is more than a little moving going on. That's WAY out.

Is the uke under warranty? What brand is it?

It is under warranty. It's a Kala KA-TEM exotic.

From Kala's website. "Damage resulting from exposure to extreme temperatures,humidity, acts of nature, dry climates, or salt air climates. Failure to use a humidifier on Kala all solid-wood ukuleles and all acoustic U-Bass instruments will void your warranty if any cracking occurs." Not sure if 32-35% humidity is considered extreme and no mention if not using a humidifier on a laminate voids the warranty.

It is under warranty. It's a Kala KA-TEM exotic.

From Kala's website. "Damage resulting from exposure to extreme temperatures,humidity, acts of nature, dry climates, or salt air climates. Failure to use a humidifier on Kala all solid-wood ukuleles and all acoustic U-Bass instruments will void your warranty if any cracking occurs." Not sure if 32-35% humidity is considered extreme and no mention if not using a humidifier on a laminate voids the warranty.

32-35% humidity is a little dry but not that extreme. My average humidity is 40% but I've seen 16% humidity (which IS extreme) and my instruments have survived.

I'd be concerned about the poor intonation. Going that sharp is really bad and not the result of a little warping from low humidity. Can you measure the saddle placement?

Assuming its a tenor, the nominal scale length from inside the nut to the saddle should be 17" + compensation of say 1/16" approx. Inside the nut to the centre of the 12th fret should be spot on 8 1/2"

Does your uke measure up?

Assuming its a tenor, the nominal scale length from inside the nut to the saddle should be 17" + compensation of say 1/16" approx. Inside the nut to the centre of the 12th fret should be spot on 8 1/2"Does your uke measure up?

Inside nut to saddle, 16 and 27/32 inches. Inside nut to center of 12th fret, 8 and 3/16 inches.

OK, That's odd. Or wrong. Given those measurements the instrument may be built in metric. The inside nut to centre of 12th fret at 8 3/16" seems wrong. For a tenor it should be REALLY close to 8 1/2".

In metric we are looking for a total scale length of 432mm + 1mm or so for compensation and REALLY close to 216mm from inside the nut to the centre of the 12 fret.

If the measurements you gave are correct then the intonation should be really FLAT. Not sharp.

When I say saddle I really mean the point where the string is touching. Not the closest part of the bridge. The saddle is the white part (usually) sitting in the bridge.

When I say saddle I really mean the point where the string is touching. Not the closest part of the bridge. The saddle is the white part (usually) sitting in the bridge.

Measurement was to the front edge of the saddle, not the top where the string sits, but that would not change the measurement much.

Laminates usually still have solid wood bracing inside the body. They may be more durable than solid woods, but still can have problems, obviously. You're still best keeping them at somewhere around 45% humidity.

Last edited:
That sounds like more than humidity to me.

Just bang it back, demand refund! Shite deserves telling as shite! Dont be diplomatic mate, it aint fit fer purpose, return and tell em to stick it up their arse!!

https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/10_SymptomsofaDryGuitar.pdf

I have had been humidifying it for a day now and it is much better. The rocking/uneven fret around 15 (where neck joins body) is nearly level, the neck angle was off worse than the pic, and the top is almost flat. Was a few mm at least concave before. The fret buzzing is also gone. I'll give it a few more days. Seems like it was just too dry even though it is a laminate.

Also the measurements are near perfect, although they may have been a bit off the first time. I measured to the center of the fingerboard between the 11 and 12 fret not the the center of the fret itself.

Last edited:
https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/10_SymptomsofaDryGuitar.pdf

I have had been humidifying it for a day now and it is much better. The rocking/uneven fret around 15 (where neck joins body) is nearly level, the neck angle was off worse than the pic, and the top is almost flat. Was a few mm at least concave before. The fret buzzing is also gone. I'll give it a few more days. Seems like it was just too dry even though it is a laminate.

Also the measurements are near perfect, although they may have been a bit off the first time. I measured to the center of the fingerboard between the 11 and 12 fret not the the center of the fret itself.

Yes, centre of the fret itself. The saddle is out of place though. There is no good reason for the saddle to be short of the nominal scale length. Only slightly longer. Its a COMMON mistake, but a mistake none the less and the cause of the intonation going sharp.

Honestly, if the intonation is going so sharp that its 50 cents out, then still take it back. That's a SERIOUS error. Intonation sometimes going 5-10 cents out at the 12th fret is a common problem but sharp enough for an A to register as B# at the 12th fret is ridiculous.

Just bang it back, demand refund! Shite deserves telling as shite! Dont be diplomatic mate, it aint fit fer purpose, return and tell em to stick it up their arse!!

Don't hold back now. Are you always this aggressive? :(

Top Bottom