Upstate NY Says Hello

Wirednot

Reaction score
And thanks for having me. Beginner with a few ukes- new to music in general but found a passion. Looking forward to learning and sharing here.

Lee

And thanks for having me. Beginner with a few ukes- new to music in general but found a passion. Looking forward to learning and sharing here.

Lee

Welcome, Lee, but...

Where in Upstate?

If you are from The Bronx or Brooklyn, "Upstate" is anything north of Yonkers. To me, "Upstate" starts north of Saratoga Springs, Syracuse in Central NY, Buffalo is Western NY, Jamestown and Watkins Glen are Southern Tier, and Kingston/Poughkeepsie is Downstate.

So where are you?

Hello Lee, and welcome to the forum!

Upstate is relative...

Welcome, Lee, but...

Where in Upstate?

If you are from The Bronx or Brooklyn, "Upstate" is anything north of Yonkers. To me, "Upstate" starts north of Saratoga Springs, Syracuse in Central NY, Buffalo is Western NY, Jamestown and Watkins Glen are Southern Tier, and Kingston/Poughkeepsie is Downstate.

So where are you?

I’m between Syracuse and Auburn. I work and teach at Syracuse University.

I’m between Syracuse and Auburn. I work and teach at Syracuse University.

That's cool! Not only is there a pretty active Ukulele Group in the Syracuse Area (maybe more than one) but there are some pretty good wineries out there. (I recommend Montezuma...)

The first ukulele I bought - although I didn't know it was a playable instrument - was a 1920s Stella banjo uke I bought in an Auburn pawn shop, in 1979. So there is a connection!

Anyway, Welcome Aboard, Lee!

-Kurt

Small world!

That's cool! Not only is there a pretty active Ukulele Group in the Syracuse Area (maybe more than one) but there are some pretty good wineries out there. (I recommend Montezuma...)

The first ukulele I bought - although I didn't know it was a playable instrument - was a 1920s Stella banjo uke I bought in an Auburn pawn shop, in 1979. So there is a connection!

Anyway, Welcome Aboard, Lee!

-Kurt

That’s awesome. We spend a lot of time in Auburn/Montezuma/Cato/Seneca Falls/Fair Haven, etc. So pretty, and a whole different world from downstate.

Hi Rich- I’m in ITS. I designed and run our big wireless environment among other tasks. And teach at iSchool. Both of my sons did Physics undergrad at SU, now PhD students elsewhere.

We in the Poughkeepsie/Kingston area prefer it to be the Hudson Valley, not a biggie but something...........

We in the Poughkeepsie/Kingston area prefer it to be the Hudson Valley, not a biggie but something...........

Well, okay... Mid-Hudson Valley....

Since Albany, and even Glens Falls are still in the Hudson Valley, the term kinda loses the "upstate/downstate" description, just like "Mohawk Valley" goes west from Cohoes nearly to Canada...

-Kurt​

Top Bottom