Thread: Sopranino and Soprano String Suggestions

Default Sopranino and Soprano String Suggestions

I have a Sopranino and Soprano that both have Aquilla strings on them.

I would like to try something new. I'm not an Aquilla fan except on all laminate Ukes.

I know this is subjective but I would be interested to hear what works for you.

Of course, there are SO many choices out there and you will probably have countless suggestions covering all of them, but I would suggest Southcoast and Living Waters strings as good places to start.

I have owned (and tried) many sopranino ukes. I think the Fremont Blacklines suit them very well!
    Last edited by mingus; 11-03-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Hi Vic, I've had very good luck with the Martin M-600's for both sopranino and soprano scale ukes.

Hi Vic.
    I have tried Fremont Blackline High tension on my Sopraninos. The short scale needs a higher tension. For sopranos I use D'Addraio carbons or PhD's. The Fremonts would work too, but I never tried them on sop's.

I have the original Aquilas on my Kala ASOV soprano, and was getting ready to replace them as I was not a fan. I tuned down a half step and love the deeper timber. The strings now sound fine. I also tuned my Brueko #2 with Worth Browns down a full step for a even richer sound. These ukes are spruce and maple, so perhaps the tone wood needs to be brighter to sound good in these tunings.

For standard tuning on a soprano, I like the tension of Martin M600 and the clarity of Living Waters.
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Hi Vic, I've had very good luck with the Martin M-600's for both sopranino and soprano scale ukes.
    I'm a noob but we like Martin M600 too, though we have never tried a sopranino, we do have a small herd of soprano, concert and tenors.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

When I asked for string suggestions for my new soprano. Worth Clear & Living Waters were the top vote getters. I decided to try the Worth clears and I have some on order. I like the Living Waters that are on my KoAloha concert a lot. I recently switched out the Aquillas on my starter Teton laminate concert to Oasis Brights before I give it to a friend. That uke went from sounding decent to sounding really nice now. I thought about putting the Oasis Brights on the soprano, but several people in my ukulele group thought Living Waters or Worth Clear would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Went with the Martin M-600's. They sound great! Much improved.

So far so good with the Worth Clears on my Islander soprano. They've been on a couple days are are settling in. Mine is a laminate soprano, but I still didn't care for the Aquillas. They sounded thuddy to me.

Thread Information