Done with Dremel!

I tried Dremels some years ago on my first CNC machine ..I soon found out that they were not up to the job..I burned out 4 within 12 months....But over 50 years ago I bought a mini Drilling kit from Como in the UK...and they still are making them today so they must be doing something right..Mine is still running fine and I use it mainly on inlaying marker dots. https://www.mfacomodrills.com/mini_drills/drills_accessories.html

Tim,

Do you ever do side dots on the fingerboard? I don't use the dots on the fingerboard but need them on the side.

To do side dots on the finger board I don't use a dremel. I just drill the the 1/16 inch holes with a handheld drill. I also used to measure it out but now just do it by eye which works better. Not really a big deal. This is one area not to over think things I think. I used to measure things obsessively and then I just did it by eye and things worked out better. Below picture. Black dots on koa. White might have worked better? Sometimes trusting the eye is best.

DSCN7711.jpg

Tim,

Do you ever do side dots on the fingerboard? I don't use the dots on the fingerboard but need them on the side.

I do em like Martin Style O "No side dots"...Come on now! it aint difficult to play without looking at the instrument (try it) ..There are only 12 frets :D some of the early Martins had no marker dots at all... Same with the classical guitar...Ken

I gave up on Dremel a couple of years ago (at least the plug in variety). Brushes are one thing, but switches that regularly die are sort of unforgivable in my book. I decided to buy a Proxxon and give it a try -- with mixed results. The Proxxon has now had nearly daily use for a couple of years and it is a decent tool. However, about a week after purchase it refused to turn on. Yes, I could have returned it, but I instead took it apart for a quick look. I found a bad connection where the AC power connects the the circuit board. Fixed that and it's been a champ ever since. I love the fact that it has an adjustable chuck and truly minimal side to side play at the front bearing. This thing now has hours upon hours of use, has been dropped several times, etc.

I also have a Dremel 8100 that I bought for pretty much one operation at a separate bench. It's of the rechargeable variety, and therefor handy to have around for non-shop related projects. From day one it's had the sloppiest front bearing one might imaged. Unless this one -- from new -- has been an exception to the rule it would be useless for something like inlay work.

So, thumbs up for Proxxon with some quality control reservations. I would buy another Proxxon.

Thumbs down on anything Dremel makes these days. This is sort of sad. If you've taken a Dremel apart as many times as I have it become obvious that a far better tool could be made for probably the same amount of money if anyone actually cared.

And, our CNC machine sports a full-size 1/2" Porter Cable router motor. It's now far outlasted the Rigid motor it replaced (which ultimately melted its plastic brush holders). The smallest thing I'd recommend for any CNC work would be a laminate-trimmer sized motor, and I'd only use one made by Porter Cable. Porter Cable still makes their stuff in the US. It's not the prettiest nor does it come with all sorts of useless bells and whistles, but it's well made and tough in my own, humble experience.

I really hate to say this, but: I frequent Harbor Freight these days. I have discovered that the cheap stuff they sell is not just a whole lot cheaper than the main name brands, but in most cases (not all) is just about as well made and lasts just about as long. I would love -- and I mean really love -- to be able to buy a well made, reliable tool from an American-based company (even though it's made in China) -- but in my own experience they don't exist anymore (with the exception of folks like Porter Cable). I would definitely pay more, and for some tools a lot more. I just don't represent the market they cater to.

Top Bottom