Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Done with Dremel!

Default Done with Dremel!

Love them or hate them every shop has to have at least one Dremel type tool. Foredoms certainly have their place but I have about 10 rotary toolsdedicated to separate tasks because i don't like changing bits or fixtures. Earlier this year I bought two Dremel 3000s to replace a couple that were dying. I think they were about $110 - $120 each. They both failed within days of each other in about 3 months time. (It's the switches that go out-I tried to repair them without luck.) Dremel repaired them for free which was cool. Now the replacements too have failed in about 3 months within a week of each other. Last year on a whim I bought a couple of real cheap WEN rotary tools for something like $20 (they even came with a flex shaft.) I use these often and they have held up at least as well or better than the Dremels have. (So far they have far outlasted the Dremels.) At $17 - $20 a pop they are truly disposable tools but I've been impressed so far. (I could buy 6 for the price on 1 Dremel.) They are powerful, the collet runs true and they run quieter. Only possible downside is that they are bigger than comparable Dremels. Also the chuck size is not the same as the Dremel but adjustable chucks (the only ones I use) are available for the WEN. Here's an Amazon link. Check out the reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rota...ool+flex+shaft

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rota...ry%2Btool&th=1
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

They certainly don't make them like they used to. This one runs like a top. It's been in regular use on all sorts of projects since I inherited it from my father. In 1967. That's fifty years and counting.

It's true, I haven't had any problem with the older ones. But of course they eventually die too. A quick Google search proves that the newer ones are junk. I don't expect more than a few years use from a rotary tool but to have 4 Dremels die within a few months of purchase is ridiculous.
    What brand is that David?
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

It's a Dremel. I'd say that it has been a good value!

Quote Originally Posted by saltytri View Post
    They certainly don't make them like they used to. This one runs like a top. It's been in regular use on all sorts of projects since I inherited it from my father. In 1967. That's fifty years and counting.

Yup, I have one of those, 40 or 50 years old, works like a champ but I only used it infrequently. I never really considered Dremel products "commercial grade."

When I first started playing uke over four years ago, I decided to do my own install of preamps so I bought a Dremel 8220 battery version. Since then I've used it on all kinds of projects and it's held up very well. I have all kinds of accessories (yep DAS, Dremel acquisition syndrome).

Last edited by kohanmike; 11-04-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by saltytri View Post

That one really is a veteran. I've found that what goes on these tools are the "brushes" which are easy and simple to replace. A bad switch? That is a separate matter... By the way, I like the floating fretboard. Very cool.

Thanks for the info, Chuck. By the look of the pics, it doesn't seem that they have the same thread that will fit on StewMac's auxillary tools. Is that right?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa Bob View Post
    Thanks for the info, Chuck. By the look of the pics, it doesn't seem that they have the same thread that will fit on StewMac's auxillary tools. Is that right?

Bob
    Correct. The older ones won't thread into some SMD tools like the router base. I don't know when Dremel changed, but I have an 1995' Dremel model that is incompatable with SMD threads. I use it for other things. All the more modern ones work. I think they changed shortly after that. ...

Thanks, sequoia, but I was referring to the WEN ones Chuck mentioned!

BOb

Thread Information