Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Done with Dremel!

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa Bob View Post
    Thanks for the info, Chuck. By the look of the pics, it doesn't seem that they have the same thread that will fit on StewMac's auxillary tools. Is that right?

Bob
    Yes, I just bought the new Stew mac base and it fits just fine, as it does the old SM base.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Thanks!

Bob

Ahh - the Dremmel nightmare. I have two that get used occassionally and for about 2 minutes at a time - one does my brace notches and the other is in a fixture for making thumbnail cuts in my pencil boxes....

IMG_1221 2.jpg

I'm just glad I am not clever enough to do inlay work

I tried Dremels some years ago on my first CNC machine ..I soon found out that they were not up to the job..I burned out 4 within 12 months....But over 50 years ago I bought a mini Drilling kit from Como in the UK...and they still are making them today so they must be doing something right..Mine is still running fine and I use it mainly on inlaying marker dots. https://www.mfacomodrills.com/mini_d...cessories.html
    Last edited by Timbuck; 11-04-2017 at 02:36 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

Maybe? https://www.harborfreight.com/moment...tch-96619.html

First thing came to mind. As a tattoo artist I'm used to my machine using a foot switch to activate.

This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    Ahh - the Dremmel nightmare. I have two that get used occassionally and for about 2 minutes at a time - one does my brace notches and the other is in a fixture for making thumbnail cuts in my pencil boxes....

IMG_1221 2.jpg

I'm just glad I am not clever enough to do inlay work
    I've had four Dremel 3000s fail on me within a year. It could very well be just this model but I'll try the cheaper WENs for a while.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles

I have been buing dremels at garage sales and our local flea market when I see them for $5 to $10. I think I have about 12 at this point. When they crap out I throw them in a box to rob parts off of and grab another one. I have had pretty good luck with the older ones. I don't thik I would ever buy a new one. If I was buying new I think I would go with the Proxxon. I have had pretty good luck with their small tools. I love their little router for rosette work.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 11-04-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    Michael Smith
    Goat Rock Ukulele
    www.goatrockukulele.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    If I was buying new I think I would go with the Proxxon.
    It's all a crap shoot with these things. Proxxon is generally seen as being somewhere near the high end but I had a "Professional Rotary Tool IBS/E" that ground up its bearings within a year of very intermittent service.

I've had good luck with the craftsman model. It has a better bearing and seems to hold up longer. But then Im also only using them for light duty, or inlay. Are you using them for heavy duty use like bridge slots?

Quote Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
    I've had good luck with the craftsman model. It has a better bearing and seems to hold up longer. But then Im also only using them for light duty, or inlay. Are you using them for heavy duty use like bridge slots?
    No, just occasional light sanding and routing. Because I have so many of them, no one tool is used that much. Each one is dedicated to a separate task because I'm lazy. I have one to cut the recess of my end graft, one to cut the 2 1/2" binding channel in the heel area of a cutaway, a few are mounted in rosette cutters, two are mounted in router bases for inlay work, and so on. I have three on my bench now; rechargeable "Stylus" Dremel. They've been great though I've lost a couple of chargers due to failure in the 5 years I've had them. I have a handful of laminate trimmers for heavier work like cutting binding channels and sound holes. I use a full sized router for router saddle slots. I think the problem is with specific, newer (and perhaps cheaper) Dremel tools, such as the 3000 series. My go-to rotary tool right now, one that I've used almost daily for a year, is the WEN I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I have the body fixed to my bench and use it with the flex shaft. So far so good.
    Last edited by Moore Bettah Ukuleles; 11-05-2017 at 03:37 PM.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Thread Information