Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

Hi Guys,
I was the one that sent Jake Wildwood the Timms. I had picked it up off UU not too long ago,
and it was the second Timms I have had the honor to own and noodle on. The first one I had, I donated as a prize
for a UU contest Jon Duncan and I had done some time ago.
Ken does absolutely wonderful instruments, & far too undervalued in my opinion. I had purchased the second Timms, here on UU
to gift to a friend, to get him into ukulele's ( I am a music 'pusher' and do everything I can to get my friends into uke's ),
but unfortunately he did not have room in his luggage for his return to Africa , where he donates his time as a doctor.
So sent it onto my friend Jake Wildwood to sell for me on consignment, to turn back into funds that I can donate to my friends clinic in Africa.
Will I purchase another Timms? Absolutely!! I myself prefer concert size ukuleles, - But would search out another to donate on. - Ed G in Lakebay Washington

Hi Guys,
I was the one that sent Jake Wildwood the Timms. I had picked it up off UU not too long ago,
and it was the second Timms I have had the honor to own and noodle on. The first one I had, I donated as a prize
for a UU contest Jon Duncan and I had done some time ago.
Ken does absolutely wonderful instruments, & far too undervalued in my opinion. I had purchased the second Timms, here on UU
to gift to a friend, to get him into ukulele's ( I am a music 'pusher' and do everything I can to get my friends into uke's ),
but unfortunately he did not have room in his luggage for his return to Africa , where he donates his time as a doctor.
So sent it onto my friend Jake Wildwood to sell for me on consignment, to turn back into funds that I can donate to my friends clinic in Africa.
Will I purchase another Timms? Absolutely!! I myself prefer concert size ukuleles, - But would search out another to donate on. - Ed G in Lakebay Washington

You are a great friend!
I give away Enyas.

Another Timms went on Ebay today - £627...

This gets my vote as the thread that never dies. Rightfully so, great instruments by a great builder and interesting human being. Heck guys are even selling them to fund hospitals in Africa, what's not to like

The Timms that Ed G. got here on UU and then later sent on to Mr Wildwood for set up/consignment is headed my way. Should arrive monday. Ed had beat me to that one originally on UU. It has now made a circular path back my direction. I had wanted another Timms plus always wanted to pick up something to support Jake...double plus I saw the pegheds, and I impulsively added it to the cart. Jake makes it EZ! Later that day, I sold another ukulele to a old friend, so my numbers remain the same. whew! Happy Holiday to me!

Another Timms went on Ebay today - £627...

I guess it's gone now...

Can I be your friend? ;)

LOL...

This gets my vote as the thread that never dies. Rightfully so, great instruments by a great builder and interesting human being. Heck guys are even selling them to fund hospitals in Africa, what's not to like

Oh yes, this thing has over 4,000 views and 9 pages deep, clear to see everyone is into Mr. Timms.

You're not allowed to retire and you can never stop making Ukes for us! LOL :shaka:

Last edited:
I just registered with this forum because I really want a Ken Timms uke. The nicest uke I’ve played so far is the £1,200 (new) Martin 2 uke in a store on Denmark Street, which was wildly more expensive than I could ever afford, but unfortunately it set the standard for me. Would you guys recommend a Timms over that one?

I just registered with this forum because I really want a Ken Timms uke. The nicest uke I’ve played so far is the £1,200 (new) Martin 2 uke in a store on Denmark Street, which was wildly more expensive than I could ever afford, but unfortunately it set the standard for me. Would you guys recommend a Timms over that one?

FWIW- there is one on the marketplace right now

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?130921-FS-2013-Timms-Style-0-soprano-with-case

I've never played either, but if I was buying a soprano, I think I'd feel safer with a Timms. Buying a vintage uke can be a toss up.

Good Luck friend my advice as one who has hunted/ missed/ waited and finally had that special Timms cross my path is just that, be prepared to wait for your Timms to find you. Then pull the plug and buy it they dont usually last long.

~AL

I've never owned a Martin, so I can't really make a comparison, but I have nothing but good things to say about my Timms soprano. It has a brilliant, sparkling jangle. It's got a ton of volume, and it can take a real thrashing without becoming all muddy sounding. The intonation is nearly perfect all the way up the fretboard, and the action is low and light as a feather all the way up the fretboard too.

Just about the worst thing I can say is that it has got a 36mm nut, and some folks prefer that.

If you'd rather spend $600 than $1200 I don't see how you could go wrong.

Just about the worst thing I can say is that it has got a 36mm nut, and some folks prefer that.

I certainly do - large hands -wider nuts on sopranos are a must for me.

Simply, yes. (Though I know Ken personally, so I'm potentially biased, but OTOH I bought one of his ukes from him for real money ...). I wouldn't swap mine for a modern Martin.

Whether I'd choose a Timms over a 20s Style 0 Martin is a closer call - that's what Ken based his work on, and here it's a trade off between the history of the Martin and the reliable quality Ken makes. Depends on the Martin, I'd guess.

But, as I say quite regularly, Ken makes a better Martin Uke than Martin makes nowadays.

Go to eBay, set up a search for Ken's ukes, and then just buy one. As you can tell from this thread, there is no problem reselling it if you don't bond! And it won't cost you £1,200.

Yes, that's a sweet looking koa Timms. Too bad about that top distortion, looks like bellying, like an old guitar. I always though that low humidity, paired with many years of string tension caused that. But that uke is less than 2 years old, what would cause it to belly like that so soon? Perhaps thin flamed koa is weaker for a top wood? It looks like the bridge is tilting, due to the bellying. Have you ever seen a Martin soprano do that?

Despite the beauty of that uke, end even if that dishing has stabilized, and will go no further, I know that seeing it, and the tilted bridge, would bug the heck out of me every time I picked it up.

Too bad they don't make a mini Bridge Doctor to flatten that out, as in the guitar world. Even if they did, good luck getting in there to install it.

6.jpg

Body.JPG

Last edited:
I've not played a Martin style 2 soprano, so I cannot comment on whether I would choose a Ken Timms over a Martin style 2, but I'm very happy with mine and I don't ever feel the need to look at other sopranos in any price range. I do have the pleasure of owning a Ken Timms style 0 soprano and for me, there is nothing missing in the overall appearance, sound, feel and playability. To me it sounds how a traditional quality soprano ukulele should sound and more. Mine has a 37mm nut width which is very comfortable for my average size hands, I feel this is a big plus point compared to the narrower nut width of the Martin style 2. Although 1mm does not seem a huge difference, on a soprano it makes significant enough a difference for me. I also like that it is hand built in the UK. Kens Ukes really are great value for what you get, very affordable in comparison to the Martin style 2 you mention, though the Martin may also be a great uke.

Top Bottom