Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

Yes, that's a sweet looking koa Timms. Too bad about that top distortion, looks like bellying, like an old guitar. I always though that low humidity, paired with many years of string tension caused that. But that uke is less than 2 years old, what would cause it to belly like that so soon? Perhaps thin flamed koa is weaker for a top wood? It looks like the bridge is tilting, due to the bellying. Have you ever seen a Martin soprano do that?

Too bad they don't make a mini Bridge Doctor to flatten that out, as in the guitar world. Even if they did, good luck getting in there to install it.

I have read of that happening with some instruments, both vintage and new. It seems that those with thinner tops, which can be incredibly resonant can have this. I seem to recall some luthiers saying it was not a problem as it reaches a point, but does not go farther. I'll see if I can find some of those discussions.

Last edited:
Indeed - I have had the same conversations with luthiers. A bit of bowing is to be expected and not actually a problem. You can find it on some of the greatest luthier ukes on the planet.

OK who snagged that little koa beauty?

This issue has had me a bit freaked out honestly. My Kala sopranino has slight bowling in front of the bridge using white Aquila strings. My few year old Timms arrived today and sadly Ive spent more time staring at the top than playing it...

This has to change now.

I believe the seller decided to hang onto it.

How does it play?

The Kala sopranino or the timms... o_O lol

After bonding with my chocolate beauty for wow... a couple hours now I'm quite happy. Even with these clear string it came with, I'm into the feel and sound of Aquila reds.

I'm not the greatest player and that is AOK, with the tonalities of this ukulele I could get lost simply plucking the open E string.

Great review Baz. I agree, they are indeed very special ukes, like the finest example of a vintage Martin you can find, but brand new, without the issues that vintage ukes can have. However, the hand rubbed finish is a bit more delicate than most, more care/vigilance required there, probably wipe it down after playing, which I rarely do with my other modern finish ukes.

Ken has a bunch of uke building videos on YouTube. I like this one, where he reshapes the standard tuner buttons into the Keystone shape that he uses on his ukes. They not only look cool, but give you a bit more finger room back there. What a craftsman!

Thanks for the link!

Yes, it's a great uke, but they are few and far between, with prices rising.

You say that on what basis exactly? He puts his ukes out as a mixture of BIN prices (at about 325 where they have been for several years!) or occasionally puts them on auction and they go for "what they go for". In the final half of 2017, yes I saw a couple go towards the close of his building window for 500 -700. Maybe that was down to a favourable review. Maybe it was because it was close to him shutting up shop for the winter and knowing there would be a gap until the new ones. Equally though I have seen that same thing in previous years and he has still done BIN prices afterwards. Also in that final half year of 2017 was an auction model that went for 250 - so there are bargains too.

So to say prices are rising is, to be fair, simply incorrect based on the information to date.

If Ken starts 2018 with them all at higher prices, I will take your point - but even if he does - at his usual 325 BIN price they were undervalued for what you are getting IMHO. I also don't begrudge him making some money for his work!

That's a used sale though - nothing to do with Ken.

Just pointing out that there was one available. They are out there from time to time.

Just pointing out that there was one available. They are out there from time to time.

Ken is on his winter break which he does every year. When the spring comes around they will be available every month.

He's done various other stuff over the years Vic, but i think at the moment he has just narrowed it down to Martin Style sopranos. He doesn't take commissions either. Whilst that doesn't rule out him doing something diffferent, I suspect that will be up to Ken and Ken alone!

He's a real fan of the Martin sopranos, so totally great that he focusses on what he loves!

So there were a few suggestions that Ken’s prices were going up since this review. I always responded saying we don’t know how he would price one in 2018.

First one of 2018 went up at £600 Buy It Now, and it sold on the day it went up. Shows you what I know!!!

Top Bottom